main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas' Original Concept-- Palpatine as Anakin's Father

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Noel-Gallagher, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Where are Palpatine's real kids anyway? He never had any?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the eu? Tri-Clops, I think that's his name, is dead. Ken, the grandson, hasn't been seen since the conclusion of that book series. There was the little punk who was supposedly Palpatine's illegitmate son, in "Children Of The Jedi." He was put into prison along with his mother. Course, I haven't read that book since 1999.

Otherwise, he had none in the films.

3. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    The review is BS

I don't know about that. I looked at the main page of the review and it has been around since 1997. Seems legit. I don't know why they would lie about it or what they would have to gain from lying about it. I emailed the guy to get a confirmation on that, so we will see.

4. EmperorCreatine

EmperorCreatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    It explains that Anakin was chosen.....By Sidious.....If they do the medichlorians thing it's out right annoying.....If Palpy says "I Force-Raped Shmi" I will LOL.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't know about that. I looked at the main page of the review and it has been around since 1997. Seems legit. I don't know why they would lie about it or what they would have to gain from lying about it. I emailed the guy to get a confirmation on that, so we will see.

First, Lucas isn't going to have rape in a Star Wars film. Bad enough that Vader chokes his pregnant wife and we see kids get killed, do you really think Lucas is going to have rape?

Second, doesn't matter how long you're around, people lie all the time. Especially if it gets you hits to a website.

Third, none of our commrades here have said it. And especially not Kevin Smith.

6. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Your points are well taken Sinsister but I think his use of the word "rape" was only figurative. He just meant that Sidious used the Force to conceive Anakin, without the consent of Shmi. It is a manipulation of the Force, not a literal "rape".

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If it's the same bits of dialouge taht we've already heard, then this is nothing more than sensationalism. Odds are they took the Darth Plaugeis story, made the conclusion that some have already and put a flashy headline to it.

8. JustinPeeler

JustinPeeler Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2003
    Jesus some people are stuck on the Christ thing! READ SOME MYTHOLOGY PEOPLE! THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTAINS JUST ADDED A MYTHOLOGICAL ASPECT TO CHRIST'S BIRTH!

Poor, poor Lucas.

9. ChewbaccasUncleItchy

ChewbaccasUncleItchy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I'm not so sure it's just sensationalism. Midochlorians have always been sort of a weak point for me in this whole mythology. Virgin birth and the whole Christ baggage that brings with it seemed a little heavy-handedly on the messiah thing. This explanation makes more sense, and fits with Palpatine's character. Knowing the jedi prophecy of the 'Chosen One,' he overconfidently assumes he can manipulate it to his own advantage. While it appears to work in the short run, eventually it backfires on him.
    -"Your overconfidence is your weakness" (Indeed it is.)
    But I'm glad GL didn't over-do it, hinting at it with the Sith bed-time story rather than having another "I am your father" "search your feelings moment," which probably wouldn't go over very well. It would have stolen too much of ESB's thunder, or would've felt silly by comparison.
    Still, it makes the Skywalker family tree seem even more ****ed up, and maybe adds a little more depth to the Emperor's death scene in ROTJ.
    Anyways, it turns what had been a hastily explained weak spot, into a much more engaging subplot.
    EDIT:
    JustinPeeler -
    You do have a point about some sort of 'divine insemination' being a staple of mythology. The Greeks are particularly notorious for this (especially regarding Zeus' exploits.) However, you can't blame people for taking it as an allusion to the judeo-Christian tradition, especially with the whole 'Chosen One' messiah concept in play.

10. EmperorCreatine

Apr 29, 2005
    I would actually applaud a twist like this in the story. Cause c'mon, Lucas gotta feel pretty bad that another Director made the best StarWars movie he probably feels like he's gotta top it.

11. JustinPeeler

Jul 3, 2003
    ChewbaccasUncleItchy posted on 5/10/05 1:12am

EDIT:
    JustinPeeler -
    You do have a point about some sort of 'divine insemination' being a staple of mythology. The Greeks are particularly notorious for this (especially regarding Zeus' exploits.) However, you can't blame people for taking it as an allusion to the judeo-Christian tradition, especially with the whole 'Chosen One' messiah concept in play.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I'm just sick to death of people saying out of ignorance that Lucas was basically ripping off Jesus when he made Anakin a virgin birth, and then getting all offended by it.

12. JustinPeeler

Jul 3, 2003
    EmperorCreatine posted on 5/10/05 1:18am
    I would actually applaud a twist like this in the story. Cause c'mon, Lucas gotta feel pretty bad that another Director made the best StarWars movie he probably feels like he's gotta top it.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Applaud all you want, the film is done and it ain't happening.

Besdies, ROTS will top all the other Star Wars films without some stupid plot twist for the sake of a stupid plot twist.

13. EmperorCreatine

Apr 29, 2005
    I'm just sayin' I would if it happened. I know I'm gonna love the movie either way. It's the highest anticipated movie of all time, and I'm free to speculate since I haven't seen it yet, unlike some people who have.

14. ChewbaccasUncleItchy

May 5, 2005
    "JustinPeeler
    I'm just sick to death of people saying out of
    ignorance that Lucas was basically ripping off
    Jesus when he made Anakin a virgin birth, and then
    getting all offended by it."

OK, I see where you're coming from. Religion is a touchy subject.

15. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    From a review at chud.com:

"Sly and cunning, McDiarmid gets across volumes (including the unfortunate volumes, such as the fact that Sidious or his master Darth Plageuis (ugh) created Anakin out of midichlorians) with a look. "

This is yet another review that seems to get the impression from the movie that Sidious created Anakin. It could all be that these reviewers are exagerating about Sidious' claim to know how to use the Force create life.

16. the_s1th_reborn

the_s1th_reborn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2004
    It IS a Jesus rip off.And it's fine... better than

Sidious :" Yo , Vader btw I'm your dad"
    Vader:"But how ?"
    Sidious:" Cuz I did this to your mama to your mama to your mama."

17. ChewbaccasUncleItchy

May 5, 2005
    I've been following this on two threads,
    This ForeverJedi one has some interesting points too.

http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_(Spoilers_Allowed)/b10331/19572692/p1

18. malachai_023

malachai_023 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Definitely think that Sidious created Anakin through Mitichlorians. And don't say that there is too much "I am your father" stuff in the story. Kingdoms and dynasties always work that way.

-jaisn

19. Jolt-Cola

Jolt-Cola Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    So Palps is Annies dad. It would be nice to see (in a game perhaps) or read what happened at the time Palpatine manipulated the Force to empregnate Schmi. Was he still an aprentice of Darth Plageius or was he running the show already. As he says to Anakin in the opera scene in ROTS "he [Plageius] thaught his apprentice all he knew" so that means he himself also knew how to manipulate force even at that time.

It's actually nice that it isn't spelled out in the film. Movies these days tend to make everything crystal clear even for the dumbest person in the audience so it's cool that something has been left for people to catch on by themselves in ROTS.

20. EmperorCreatine

Apr 29, 2005
    I have to say if this is legit, I'm actually saddened cause this was something I didn't want spoiled at all.

My own fault for looking at the spoiler forum.

21. jeffintexas

jeffintexas Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2004
    palpatine is not anakins father and did not creat anakin...... george lucas clearly states "anakin is the chosen one" . hell the man that made the stories says that he is the chosen one. so by the fact that the creator of the story and movies stating plainly that anakin is the chosen one, should be enough to end all speculation of this subject right now.

besides i dont know why people always gotta have a big plot twist like ( palpatine created anakin). the whole star wars series would have been sent straight to hell if he would have added that palps created anakin.....

REMEMBER....GEORGE LUCAS (THE CREATOR) SAID "ANAKIN IS THE CHOSEN ONE".......NO MORE SPECULATION IS NECESSARY.

22. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    jeffinTexas,

I am not saying that it is true that Palps is Anakin's father, but I don't think that it is mutually exclusive with the idea of him being the chosen one.
    He can be both. Read my explanation on page one of this thread.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that people are taking this at face value. They're not thinking of how this is supposed to tie into the OT. Nor are they thinking that Palpatine is lying, since he says that he never learned the power. Only Plaugeis did.

24. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Qui-gon is the Chosen One. The Shaman of the Wills of the force 'CHOSE' him to become the first jedi ghost guy in the Saga.

Anakin's more like the Created One 2 me.

25. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes, Anakin is the chosen one. Keeping this in mind, Palpatine could have still used the Force to create Anakin. This notion, does not contradict the prophecy, as the prophecy is not detailed. (if we believe the Palpatine story, Anakin was still created by the force).

ROTS - 10/10 (Should have been longer though)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.