main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas' original concept... Palpatine DID create Anakin...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by rexrexworth, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewMarr

AndrewMarr Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    The idea that the Sith MIGHT have done it is something that changed in all the drafts. Originally, Darth Plagueis did not exist in the original first draft of the movie. All the powers - creating life and stopping death - belonged to Palpatine, and Palpatine outright claimed that he created Anakin. Anakin didn't believe him, and Palpatine said "nethertheless, you must decide" - so it was never cleared up if Palpatine's claim was true, or if it was all just mind-games - which, considering he wanted to turn him, it could well have been. But it looks like GL wanted to keep it much more ambiguous about whether Palpatine had these powers - so he created Darth Plagueis, a Sith legend, gave all these powers to Plagueis, and left it unanswered whether Palpatine has any of these powers or not. Palpatine admits he cannot stop death, and since the novel says they're pretty much the same ability, and stopping death is easy if you can create life, he probably can't create life, either - but Plagueis may have been able to do it.

So he decided to leave it very ambiguous and unanswered - until he speaks out and clears it up one way or another (which, since he wants to leave it up to the audience, he may never do) we'll never know. As it stands in the movies, much more time is spent on the concept and magical idea of Anakin being created by the Force, than on one offhand comment that Plagueis could create life, so in the story as is, the Force-conception idea is given much more weight. Plus, previous comments from GL over the last 6 years suggest that in his mind, the will of the Force created Anakin. We'll have to wait and see what he says on the commentary.

2. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    The documentary that I've seen confirms that The Sith created Anakin using the midichlorians using the force to manipulate them. It was most likely Darth Sidious rather than Plagueis. can I confirm it? no, You would have to wait for the DVD.

3. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Who was in the documentary and where did you see it?

4. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    DVD by Lucas. The audio Commentary. And it gets mentioned in other areas of the DVD too.

5. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    So all GL confirms in this doc. is that "The Sith" manipulated
    the midis to create Anakin? He doesn't get any more specific
    than that or even hints that it's either Sids or Plag. that did
    it? If he confirms why wouldn't he be more specific.

6. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    I have some issues with this concept.

First of all, if this is true, it would make some of Palpatine's actions in TPM pointless...

Secondly, why didnt Palpatine find Anakin himself and raise him in the ways of the Sith... Why not send Maul to find Anakin and bring him to Palpatine...

I dont like the idea.
    I prefer the idea Anakin was created by the Force.

7. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Have you not considered that both arguments are correct?

Try opening your mind and thinking about this for a minute.

Palpatine, like Anakin, takes matters into his own hands to protect against an unwelcome fate (the prophesy in this case) and in turn brings it about himself.

Star Wars's greatest Irony.

This is completely consistent with the workings of the force as shown in the movies and weaves even more threads of brilliance through the originals. Not to mention that it's supported by every quote by anyone ever, just not directly.

George Lucas IS a genius. :)

EDIT : Clarity 8-}

8. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    So all GL confirms in this doc. is that "The Sith" manipulated
    the midis to create Anakin? He doesn't get any more specific
    than that or even hints that it's either Sids or Plag. that did
    it? If he confirms why wouldn't he be more specific.

I was told I coulndt be more specific, guess we will have to wait for the dvd :)

9. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "I was told I coulndt be more specific, guess we will have to wait for the dvd"

lol ok, sure. Who told you that, your close personal friend
    George Lucas? lol.

10. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
  11. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005
    Starwarsagent=Supershadow???????

;)

12. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    Obi..that or = delusional mind or both ;)
    Check out his profile lol

13. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    lol, My profile is very old. I will update it Saturday. me being supershadow? heck no!!!

Seen the dood at the comic convention, he's a freak! Poor delusional bastard!

SWA

14. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005
    self-bashing is another sign of mental instability....
    This guy must be supershadow....

15. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    When he says "seen the dood.." maybe he meant in a mirror? ;)

Ok, so you're not GL [big shock] and you're not SS
    so why then can't you give detail about this GL doc.?

16. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    Because I dont promote Piracy. This other dood I know owns the ROTS DVD. If I could I would take his copy and destroy it. But dont want to lose a friendship over copyrights.

SWA.

17. GTyper

GTyper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    I'm no biology expert here. But how could Sideous makes the cells divide and produce a MALE child?

I'm not physics expert - but sound in space? Swords of focused light, lasers, plasma? Giant metallic planets orbiting other planets, yet not causing planetary drift or catastrophic disasters? Big bodied, blue creatures hovering on miniscule wings that aren't beating all that fast?

Come on man ... you got to let go of the reality to enjoy the movies.

18. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    The real question here is, how do you know what SS looks like?

BTW, it's dude.

19. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    SWA, you can't claim that EU and magazine articles aren't cannon and then use parts of the script that didn't make the movie or cut scenes as evidence and call them cannon. I believe there are storyboards and parts of the script that show Shaak Ti being killed by both ANi and GG - they both can't be true. And while I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you've seen a documentary that will explain things, you've got to admit the cloak and dagger talk of who and how you've seen it is suspect.

For those that think it was the force only, you have to admit, that there are interpretations of actual movie lines, that allow for Anakin to have been created by someone other than the midis. And since most of you take the stand that only the movie counts, you have to consider the possibilities. It is ambiguous enough for more than one explanation.

Me, the fantasy world I live in has that Anakin is a virgence, created by the midis and that Palps is a liar, pouring honey in ANi's ear. IMHO, I think it is more logical in the scheme of the PT.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    SWA,

Dude (dood), Are you trying to tell us that the DVD release of ROTS is done and completed? All the audio commentaries are done?

Sorry guy, I just don't swallow that at all.

You're trying to back up your own claims with something that only you have access to, so therefore you are trying to prove your point using a thing you have no proof of?!? Dear god my head hurts ;)

Live long and prosper SWA :p

Stone

EDIT: SWA (again),

If it's only a pirate copy of the DVD why can't you be more specific about it's contents? Who was it that told you, you must keep it under wraps?

You're having fun leading us on like this, ain't ya :)

Stone

21. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "Me, the fantasy world I live in has that Anakin is a virgence, created by the midis and that Palps is a liar, pouring honey in ANi's ear. IMHO, I think it is more logical in the scheme of the PT"

This would be my opinion also. I think GL called Anakin's
    birth a 'metaphysical event' which to me seems more like
    he was created from the midis. than from an outside influence.

22. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    All the quotes and debates aside; I think the main thing to realise is that this conflicting idea of the Jedi Chosen One prophecy was brought up by Palpatine to place doubt in Anakin as well as the audience.

The PT essentially creates two sides of a theory. We're not supposed to know what the truth is until after the whole series is over. At this point in the series (episode 3) we're not supposed to know for sure what Anakin's purpose is; if any. Then when the galaxy is brought to it's knees and Luke is about to be destroyed, Anakin does the right thing once and for all and ends the nightmare. So in the end, Anakin takes his place as the chosen one because he chooses that destiny for himself. And it doesn't matter if the Sith used the dark side to begin conception because ultimately nothing happens unless the force and the Midichlorians play their part. In the end, the Midichlorians created Anakin, even if the Sith pushed the button to initialise the process.

Besides, the fact that Anakin wasn't raised under the closely guarded supervision of the Sith proves atleast one thing; even if they have the power to initiate the creation of life, they can't control where it happens. That ultimately makes it the power of the Midichlorians, not the Sith.

23. AndrewMarr

AndrewMarr Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    I was told I coulndt be more specific, guess we will have to wait for the dvd

[face_laugh]

Of course you can't. :)

24. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm indifferent on the subject of Anakin's conception, considering that I never thought much of having Anakin be a "chosen one" in the first place. Before the prequels, I always considered Anakin to have been a strong Jedi, but not a messiah for the Jedi. The dialogue as written is horrendous. I'm certain Ian would have delivered it beautifuly, but no matter how you say it, those lines are embarassing.

25. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    My take if anyone says they have seen something & can't proove it. They are lying their azzes off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.