main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas took our critisms of TPM to heart

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Good comments, Shelley.

I think it should be more than clear now that Lucas has little regard for critics and other detractors, and why should he? They've been there since day one telling him that what he wanted to do couldn't or shouldn't be done, and yet here we are, over 25 years later with 5 highly successful and popular movies.

Honestly, it's hard to believe his critics wish he would listen to them, because if he had listened to them in 1976, we wouldn't have STAR WARS. I think Lucas has more than proven himself and that maybe his detractors should just shut up for once and let the man do what he's good at.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    its interesting to note that Lucas claims to not pay attention to critics or what people think about his films, yet he is quite quick to cite any and all positive reaction to them.

also, Lucas claims he is making these films for himself... why? what need in him does it satisfy to make these films? especially when he talks on and on about how much he does not like writing and directing, why does he force himself to do these films? he has said he cares more about films than star wars, and that he has all these "less marketable" ideas that he wants to do.

why, if he doesnt care what critics or fans think, why is he still making these movies? is it because he is dying to tell this story? is it because he feels star wars is incomplete without the PT?

3. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Maybe it's because he knows that if he doesn't finish the first three episodes, either some EU author will after he's dead and do as good a job as they did with the EU? Or that otherwise the fans will spend the rest of their lives not knowing why Obi Wan and Yoda didn't face the Emperor themselves, and sent in a half trained farmboy to do it instead?

Or maybe he likes it...

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    its interesting to note that Lucas claims to not pay attention to critics or what people think about his films, yet he is quite quick to cite any and all positive reaction to them.

When he's asked if he made AOTC in response to criticism and complaints and to revive a sputtering franchise and make up for the "widely reviled" TPM, yes. And note he says "reviews and polls he was shown." He didn't seek them out, he was shown them.

also, Lucas claims he is making these films for himself... why? what need in him does it satisfy to make these films? especially when he talks on and on about how much he does not like writing and directing, why does he force himself to do these films? he has said he cares more about films than star wars, and that he has all these "less marketable" ideas that he wants to do.

why, if he doesnt care what critics or fans think, why is he still making these movies? is it because he is dying to tell this story? is it because he feels star wars is incomplete without the PT?

Simple, DrE. He is dying to tell the story. He's a storyteller, and any storyteller will say that he/she cannot let his/her stories go untold. He's not crazy about writing (part of this is probably due to the fact that he is severely dyslexic), which is why he asked for help on both TPM and AOTC, but I think he enjoys directing more than he lets on. He had been talking for years about directing again, as far back as the third Indy movie, and he'll be directing small features once he finishes with Episode III.

And I do think he feels that SW isn't complete without the PT, which is why he's devoting 10 years of his life, and a great deal of his own money, to make it. Most people don't devote a decade of their lives and millions of dollars to make something they hate or are apathetic about. You can choose to agree or not that SW is incomplete without the PT. I have a feeling that if you liked the PT, you would agree, but that's just a feeling.

5. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "And I do think he feels that SW isn't complete without the PT, which is why he's devoting 10 years of his life, and a great deal of his own money, to make it. Most people don't devote a decade of their lives and millions of dollars to make something they hate or are apathetic about. You can choose to agree or not that SW is incomplete without the PT. I have a feeling that if you liked the PT, you would agree, but that's just a feeling."

but it is possible to understand that he is making the PT as an excellent way to make money for his company.

the same way you can suspect he likes directing more than he lets on, i can suspect he dislikes it even more than he admits.

the same way you can extract the idea that he is dying to tell this story i can extract that he is eager to make his company bigger.

the same way that anyone can extract from his quotes that he did not let criticism affect his choices for Jar Jar and the Fetts and such, i can extract that he saw the popularity of the Fetts and made them more integral to the saga, and saw the unpopularity of Jar Jar and lessened his role.

6. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    *shrug* Whatever.

I guess it all comes down to personal opinions of GL.

See ya.

7. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    very true. im glad we can share our opinions here. thanks again for the quotes :D

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Seeing this thread, brings warm feelings to my heart.

- Dr.Evil voice -

He's my special boy!

9. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    DrE:
    Isn't that the typical answer? If you think Lucas only cared about making more money for his companies we would have had loads and loads of Star Wars by now, not the 5 (and soon to be 6) films .

The fact that Lucas is so dedicated to the PT and is writing and directing all of them is a testament to the fact he is doing this for purely personal reasons rather than monetary.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    very true. im glad we can share our opinions here. thanks again for the quotes

Anytime. :)

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    JKBurtola does have a point I believe. I mean Lucas has no reason to make the prequels other than for personal satisfaction. The least of these reasons would be for money because the man is already worth neary a billion dollars thanks to him single handedly revolutionizing CGI and SFX in the film industry, not to mention he has a monopoly on that facet of the industry with ILM. Besides, you cannot say the man is consumed by greed or monetary motivation, he dresses in flannel for Heaven's sake. ;)

12. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Just an idea. He may not be interested in money for personal wealth but as part of his drive to revolutionise digital cinema. Not saying I believe this personally although I think that is far higher on his agenda than SW.

13. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    but it is possible to understand that he is making the PT as an excellent way to make money for his company.

Dude, there are easier ways to make a buck. He could have saved himself a lot of time and money if he had simply farmed the franchise while he sat back to count the royalty checks.

the same way you can suspect he likes directing more than he lets on, i can suspect he dislikes it even more than he admits.

If he dislikes it so much then why is he even doing it? His original plan was to direct Episode I to set the mood the style and then contract other directors to do the other two films, like he did with the originals, but he found that he enjoyed the experience of directing so much that he didn't want to give up the responsibility.

the same way you can extract the idea that he is dying to tell this story i can extract that he is eager to make his company bigger.

Again, this isn't the easiest way he could have made money.

the same way that anyone can extract from his quotes that he did not let criticism affect his choices for Jar Jar and the Fetts and such, i can extract that he saw the popularity of the Fetts and made them more integral to the saga, and saw the unpopularity of Jar Jar and lessened his role.

But only if you adamantly refuse to take him at his word, which you seem to excel at.

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I find it rather amusing how people use Lucas's quotes to prove their arguments, however when he says something that is no in agreeance with how they feel, they discredit him. This has been said many times if I am not mistaking.

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    thats all well and good, but both sides are assuming what he meant when he said nothing that directly proves either side of the discussion.

although some of you claim he has, i have yet to see the quote where he flat out says he did not make changes or inclusions in the films bsed on positive or negative reactions.

you are believing and hearing what you want to just as much as i am, the difference is i am not trying to pass anything off as FACT, and many of you are.

if it is a fact, and he has flat out said he did not reduce Jar Jar because of critical or fan reaction, post the quote.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If that makes you feel better about things, then run with it.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
  18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    in agreeance

Are you Fred Durst? ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Is this the kind of quote we are looking for?

"Hello, I am George Lucas. I have a special message to all the internet message board fanboys and girls out there. I want you all to know that in NO way did I make any changes to my film, Attack of the Clones simply because a few of you didn't like its predecessor, The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar was meant to have a reduced role, because his large part in the story was basically over. It was the same way Watto's role was smaller, and why I chose not to put Jabba the Hutt in this episode. Because there was no reason, story-wise, for them to be there, or have larger roles. I know for some of you this will deeply wound your ego, and I apologize for that. But as I wrote the characters for the story, and not the way people wanted to see them, there is nothing I can do to help your bruised egos. I would also like to state that I am writing the as-yet-not-subtitled Episode III the way I see the story unfolding. I do not really have the time to visit these boards to see the way you would all like it to end, since I do have something of a deadline. I tell you this in an effort to protect your ego from yet another blow when this film is released in two years. Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,

George."

It seems some people will not believe that their whining about Episode I didn't change the way Episode II was written until they get this letter hand written and hand delivered to them by Lucas himself. I find it funny that this thread is even still active. Even just reading through in a cursory fashion I saw several posts point out the things that Lucas DID say that point to him not caving in to any perceived pressure from a few disgruntled fans. It's a testament to the lenghts that some people will go to just so people won't think that their opinion wasn't actually a fact. Did Lucas come right out and say what I wrote aboe? No. Did he allude to something similar? Yes. It seems pretty simple to me, but then I don't automatically assume someone is lying just because they aren't saying what I want to hear. maybe that makes all the difference.

20. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Forgive me for my grammatical inferiority Adam! :_|

21. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Lucas took your criticisms of TPM to heart, and yet you people still whine about AOTC.

What's wrong with this picture? [face_plain]

22. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Actually I enjoyed AOTC much more than TPM JL."

But you still hate it and regard Episode II as nothing but a shameless cash-in? Your hatred of Episode I must of run deep if you think Episode II is a large improvement but still hate it. It saddens my heart to read such things, I hope Episode III can help you accept the Prequels and maybe like them that little bit more.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Dude, find one quote where I said I hated TPM let alone AOTC. I don't hate either movie and quite enjoyed AOTC. And I never said it was a shameless cash-in either. Get your facts straight before saying my "hatred must run deep". We are not discussing the posters here. Why do so many people have a hard time talking about the films without bitching about other members. You should no better, Jedi-Learner, after apologising the last time.

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Notice the question mark after the sentence. I am also not bitching about you either. Take that for what you think.

25. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    can you guys stop bitching about our whining, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.