main
side
curve

Lucasfilm and Ron Howard are talking about a sequel to Willow

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Krueger, May 13, 2018.

1. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    When do you think the Willlow series will come out? Summer or autumn?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 7

Nov 12, 2012
    if it was summer we'd hear more, autumn or fall. No way they'd release two LFL productions ontop of each other so somewhere before or after Cassian

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 5

Mar 13, 2014
    A good strategy might be to hold Willow back until after Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings season 1 conclude. Other wise it risks getting lost in the background to the other two medieval fantasy series.

Bold prediction on my part: Of the three big budget fantasy shows Willow will at least be the second best.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  4. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    No, Willow was much better for two reasons:

1) It's only two hours long.

2) They used real dwarfs and midgets instead of that CGI garbage.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    In the original LOTR they used regular height people to portray dwarfs and Hobbits with tricks of the camera it was revolutionary for Peter Jackson! And the PC terminology is Little person and Dwarf! I could see a Teaser Trailer for Willow at Celebration at the Lucasfilm pannel...

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess I can leave this here.

My psyched out level is near epic proportions right now.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 4

Oct 1, 2012
    Awrite, that looks great as well. Very true to the original and very Lucasian.

8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 5

Dec 30, 2017
    Not sure how I feel about this one. Doesn't really look like the 80's dark-age fantasy I love from Conan the Barbarian, Dragonslayer, Flesh and Blood, Excalibur, and of course Willow. Lucas' take on it was kid friendly, which is great, but it still felt pseudo-historical, it *looked* like historical dramas. This trailer looks much more cartoony, but it's just a glimpse. I love medieval fantasy, so hoping for the best. Nice to see Warwick with a staff again though. :cool:

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think it looks close to the original lots of practical effects and locations with the added bonus of Great cutting edge CGI!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 5

Dec 30, 2017
    Just add more foggy smoke and it'll be fine :p

Sarge and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It looks fantastic. I honestly got all teary-eyed seeing Warwick back in the role. This film was huge to me as a kid, and I'm somewhat in disbelief of seeing a sequel now, all these years later. Too bad it'll be without Madmartigan, but that's what it is.

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Force Ghost star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    This looks incredible. Sold instantly.

And even with the upgraded effects, it looks pretty seamless w the original.

Count Yubnub and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Wow, another awesome Lucasfilm surprise at Celebration today! Hope the story is good, because the trailer teases some promise!

14. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Yay I'm not alone.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. XandertheWise

XandertheWise Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2022
    i still have the original sequel which is a 3 books book series. Theyre not too bad just a little hard to follow along in when reading them

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ooh, those books are rough. I read the first one, and just couldn't finish the series.

Arawn_Fenn and Sarge like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 7

Nov 12, 2012
    I read them too and also was confused and forgot. I guess this blows out the Willow EU, when will it ever end?

Anyway, yay, just have Warwick be funny in this. Since they're basing a whole show around him apparently they should realize that.

18. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I keep hearing rumors that I end up dismissing, because of a lifetime of hearing about exciting new movie and television projects that get announced and then cancelled. I didn't believe an Obi-Wan movie would get made, but it's nice to see the idea manifest in the streaming show format. Willow is another that it was easy to dismiss (not because I wanted to) because of so many announced and dropped projects.

I was actually okay with the sequel trilogy of novels based on the films, in the early 90's. Many of the complaints fans make about them are perfectly fair, however I really liked and was fascinated by the nature of the villain of the Shadow War Chronicles, and the villain's connection to Elora Danan. Keeping up with those books kind of left me feeling I had something of a preview of the SW Prequel movies, in terms of themes and ideas.

I love having The Chronicles of the Shadow War, and The Willow Sourcebook for insight into the world of Willow (Andowyne?! lol). I'm not into the canon-keeping game, so I'll be more interested in seeing what elements of the old material can join up with the new series. Besides, The Chronicles of the Shadow War has an open relationship with alternative versions of events anyway. So it's a win for anyone who wants to throw out or keep those novels.

GunganSlayer likes this.