main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lucasfilm Writing Group

Discussion in 'Literature' started by vong333, Feb 14, 2014.

1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Or they just blame a director for "not getting" Star Wars because a background character doesn't get brought back in the grandest way possible.

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    How could they have killed off Nien Numb!? He's a character who at least deserved to single handedly take down at least 1000 of the Exogol Fleet with him when he died. Disney sucks, they don't understand my love for this character who never did enough to deserve me being this upset over his death.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hello? Hello? Hello?

Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone at home?
    Come on now
    I hear you're feeling down
    Well I can ease your pain
    Get you on your feet again
    Relax
    I'll need some information first
    Just the basic facts
    Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child I had a fever
    My hands felt just like two balloons
    Now I've got that feeling once again
    I can't explain you would not understand
    This is not how I am
    I have become comfortably numb
    [face_devil]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  5. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It's part of a vicious cycle that eventually is going to get us back to a point where you won't see many (if any) touchpoints for a brand outside of the top-down announcements.

The more accessible folks related to a brand become fulcrums for frustrations and criticism (both legit and not-legit) since brands themselves feel so insular. That consolidation of course, in turn, makes people want to be less accessible because really, individuals can only shoulder so much, and they aren't always being voices for a brand, sometimes they have their own thoughts. But the more the consolidation, the less they're able to do that, and certainly the fewer people will understand the distinction (we see that with SW authors a lot). When those folks decide to then make themselves less accessible, that in turn makes the brand appear even more insular. Which then just amplifies the intensity of the communications directed at the folks who still are accessible, which in turn makes folks want to be less accessible....etc etc etc.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

harryhenry, jSarek, Daneira and 9 others like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I feel bad for a lot of authors (and artists, and entrepeneurs in general I guess) who are just starting out these days, since everyone encourages social media to get your name out there. But it seems you can only keep your head above waters so long before you run into some type of awkward or hostile situation with fans/followers. Star Wars is worse because most people already have an emotional connection to it, and very strong opinions that come from that.

Mia Mesharad and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea, it's tricky and a good example of the modern problems with social media and brands reaching out to fans. With that comes criticism which at times is valid but as we see on twitter, totally unwarranted at times, and completely over the top (the number of videos everyday about the end of Star Wars is exhausting)

With literature, you aren't going to love every book. Del Rey know this, and crucially the author knows this. If you don't like a book, that doesn't justify a heated attack against the author, Del Rey or anyone who did like the book.

For example, I just finished Thrawn Treason. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. For me , one of the best page turners in the new canon. Not everyone will agree and that's fine.

Arguably with Treason there's a bit of canon headache with the ship Palleon is on - is it the Harbinger in Rebels ? Buts that's taken into the UK, and then reappears in the comics? That doesn't warrant an attack on Story Group in any way.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I wish fans could have more self-awareness and understanding that making a work of art you don't like is not an act of hate against you. Ultimately, they need to be able to divorce in their mind the idea that being critical of a piece of art does not mean you have to be critical of the artist.

@DarthInternous, you do a great job, and I don't envy you.

9. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm often conscious of this when I see you respond directly or indirectly to something I've said that is a form of criticism, as I sometimes lose track of who is reading my posts on here. I never want anything I say or write on here to be taken personally by creators, and I hope (without double checking) I've never made any derogatory comments either directly or indirectly targeting a SW creator.

That being said, in this age of Social Media accessibility for people, it becomes increasingly difficult for 'negative takes' to be expressed without it finding its way back to a creator intentionally or otherwise. I remember when GOT S08 aired and people were talking about several legitimate gripes with the creative process for the show, Kit Harrington got quite upset by their comments. Neither Kit nor the fans was necessarily wrong in their reactions, but it's very difficult to co-exist where there's no layer of separation between creators and fans anymore.

It's definitely a double-edged sword I think, and something everyone needs to tread carefully around.

10. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm going to assume that with 25,000 Imperial Star Destroyers, there's a pretty good chance of name repetition at least once - particularly if one ship is destroyed/lost. Not that it's ever specifically said that anything other than the Chimaera is taken away by the Purrgill - Pellaeon's ship could just be destroyed/damaged. In that case, it could even notionally be the same vessel.

BigAl6ft6 and Endol like this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And nothing's stated Pellaeon's on the Harbinger in Rebels anyway.

BigAl6ft6 and Commander_Andersen like this.
  12. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Good point. I think we can all just take a breath and think about what we're saying before we post it. "This story doesn't work for me and here's why" is absolutely fine, and the kind of criticism we need for any form of media. "This is story is objectively terrible and the dumbest thing ever" isn't productive for anyone.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Xander Vos likes this.
  13. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I believe Pellaeon WAS on the Harbinger, in the immediately preceding Thrawn: Treason, novel, though?

14. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    I don't see why Thrawn would assign him to a different Destroyer when he joined the 7th Fleet

15. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Ship could also have had survivors, naturally.