main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lucasfilm Writing Group

Discussion in 'Literature' started by vong333, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I half hope they go back and make their own once they're done with VII-VIII-IX.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess it would be kind of funny if two decades from now they remade the prequel trilogy.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    In all seriousness idgi why they wouldn't be anyway. Okay so we all know about the Holiday Special. But none of those others are like notoriously bad or anything. People actually love the original CW cartoon and afaik it still fits with the TCW narrative. I guess the Droids cartoon contradicts Lucas's authorial intent at the end of ROTS or something. But the Ewok movies aren't bad, why shouldn't they count?

LelalMekha likes this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure it has to do with the level of Lucas' involvement. That's probably why TESB is legitimately Lucas' least favorite SW film -- because he had the least influence on it of all six films.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    So disappointed he never redubbed Han's "I know" in any of the SEs.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    At Celebration, Filoni made some remarks that indicated that Lucas at least thought about it (i.e. changes Lucas might make to ROTS).

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Didn't he want to remove all the Trade Federation ships from the opening battle? Man, good luck with that...

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep. That was part of Filoni's explanation on why the TF battleships essentially disappeared from the animated series - certainly eye-opening on how the latter-day Lucas operated.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The only problem is that by then Chris Hemsworth is going to be waaaaay too old to play Anakin.

Yes, I'm still banging on about it.

10. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    At this point I'm not overly concerned what happens. As long as they have the books in the future, which it sounds like it they're going to have, then I'm not worried.

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    ironically that was one of the best star wars movie and my favorite of the bunch

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Since Star Trek is becoming more like Star Wars, it only makes sense that Star Wars is becoming more like Star Trek, I guess.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I don't understand...why did he want the Trade Federation ships out? I've heard my fair share of weird stories about the way Lucas thinks about the story and the universe from people who worked on TCW, but I've not heard the one about the TF ships before.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lucas' attitude towards his "finished" work is... mercurial to say the least. He's just one of the few artists who actually has/had the clout and cash to tinker with it post-release.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Because of the TF's neutrality in the CWAS, apparently. The CWAS team had to create a new "Separatist supply ship" because he didn't want the TF associated with the Separatists directly in any way.

Of course, it's nowhere near as depressing as Filoni's story about Lucas and the Mandalorians.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

I seem to remember hearing this but I forgot what it was.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Filoni brought in all the EU material he could find on the Mandalorians for Lucas to look over to see if he wanted to use any of it for the original Mando arc.

The only thing he took was the name "Vizsla", because he thought "Pre Vizsla" was a funny joke.

I guess it's a good thing that Lucas never read Snow Crash.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That sadly describes a lot of TCW canon destruction. "That's a cool name, let's use that!" The Mandalorians, the Nightsisters, Ventress' backstory... well, not sure how much was Lucas and how much wasn't, but most of it basically came down to whatever Lucasfilm felt like a particular year, and the poor EU just had to keep up with their whims. The Tantive IV/Sundered Heart retcon still strikes me as one of the more stupid ones. Relatively minor, but a sign of how nothing is too minor for them to meddle with if they feel like it.

Doesn't help that it comes off as them being too lazy to come up with their own names and just "borrowing" ideas from other better written parts of the EU. Even something like Legacy was affected, since they named their shuttle Nu-class (following on from Lambda of course) and then... TCW just had to use Nu-class too for their shuttle (and not sure they even bothered to use it in later seasons). Not like there were other Greek letters they could have used, oh wait, there were. :rolleyes:

The Trade Federation thing was also silly- not only are they "neutral" but they can't even use the Lucrehulk in Clone Wars space battles anymore. Not that there were that many more in later seasons, and those battles were mostly as background set pieces for the main plot. Its a different regime now, but still, you never know what they'll do.

19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Mon Calamari is hard to pronounce.

20. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

And not as depressing as Henry Gilroy's stories about...oh, everything...but especially him binning the story bible Gilroy spent six months writing and crumbling artwork of a Duros Jedi because "Duros are evil and a Jedi one would confuse kids", etc, etc....

21. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013
    Does anybody know if/when we will get a definitive answer from the story group regarding their final decisions on what is in their "official" canon timeline?
    I for one would rather have all the existing novels and games still included as like someone said earlier, there's way to much stuff that i have enjoyed over the years for it all to now be made redundant. Plus i'm sure some things like The Force Unleashed was like confirmed at the time of its release to have been official in the continuity, plus things like KOTOR are too popular to now be ignored, as characters like Revan are one of the most popular of all Star Wars.
    I personally hope that the Legacy era comics are included as i love the Darth Krayt One Sith and that whole era, which almost rivals the movie era and the KOTOR era for me, and Cade Skywalker is pretty much the coolest Skywalker of the whole family!

22. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Have you read the Making of ESB book? That's definitely not true. I don't think I've ever heard him say it was his least favorite either. ESB is as much a GL movie as any of the others.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Relatively speaking his influence on TESB was less than all the other films.

24. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Can you give an example? Lucas wrote the storyline, oversaw the story meetings, shepherded and contributed to the script straight through dialogue looping, oversaw design, was on set after the film went over budget, oversaw the visual effects, the editing and the scoring. How is that less involvement than the other films? ESB & ROTJ are collaborations but they are both Lucas movies equally.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, besides TESB and ROTJ, he directed them all. He wrote the scripts for Star Wars and the prequels. On Return of the Jedi, he directed some scenes for the second unit. Lucas was frequently on set for ROTJ when scenes were shot, but he wasn't on set for Empire.