main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Luck" with Dustin Hoffman, Michael Mann & David Milch is Cancelled

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Did anyone see this?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I caught this last night. Really a solid premiere. It definitely is going to rise and fall based on Hoffman and he nailed it last night. I'm totally interested and I think it will carry me through until April when Game of Thrones returns.

5. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    So it seemes that Television is the new trend for movie stars.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Dustin Hoffman hasn't been a movie star for about 30 years...

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001

9-10PM | HBO
    Luck

I imagine anyone remotely interested in gambling is focusing on another televised event tonight.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Luck
    NEW
    S01, E03

Ace meets with a talented whiz kid; Walter loses Ronnie as a rider; Marcus, Renzo and Lonnie send Jerry to buy a horse.

CC
    TV-MA

9:00 - 10:00 PM HBO

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Luck
    NEW
    S01, E04

Jerry's partners try to keep him from his poker nemesis; Ace meets with a colleague; Leon deals with weight issues.

CC
    TV-MA

9:00 - 10:00 PM HBO

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Mar 14 2012 07:00 PM ET

HBO cancels 'Luck' after third horse dies
    by James Hibberd

"The title was never meant to be quite this ironic.

HBO has elected to cancel production on Luck following the death of a third horse on the racetrack drama series.

The network released this statement:

?It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series Luck. Safety is always of paramount concern. We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horseracing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures. While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won?t in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision. We are immensely proud of this series, the writing, the acting, the filmmaking, the celebration of the culture of horses, and everyone involved in its creation.?

Get more EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33¢ an issue!

The first-year drama had already earned a second-season pickup, so production was underway on the second of 10 new episodes. A horse was injured Tuesday while reportedly walking back to its barn at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. After the horse was euthanized, the show suspended filming and the American Humane Association launched an investigation into the set. The show?s final two episodes will still air.

Added Mann and Milch: ?The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers. This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future.?

The cancellation isn?t big ratings loss for the network. Luck averaged about 4.8 million viewers once all repeats and platforms were included, such as DVR and OnDemand viewing.

UPDATE: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which has objected previously to the show, issued this reaction: ?Knowing that old, unfit, and drugged horses were forced to race for this series, PETA is glad that HBO has finally decided to cancel the show. We thank the whistleblowers who refused to let these horses? deaths go unnoticed. Should Milch, Mann, and HBO decide to start the series up again, PETA will be calling on them, as we have done from the start, to use stock racing footage instead of endangering horses for entertainment purposes. PETA has called on law enforcement to investigate the deaths of the horses used on the set and to bring charges as appropriate.?

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I always look forward to anything that either Michael Mann or David Milch create
    or produce, so I was excited about LUCK from the start; but the decision to use
    horses previously retired to the field as race components was just plain foolish.

Perhaps the powers that be will retool their thinking in the future and put this show
    back on track again (pun intended).