main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ludwig Göransson

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by dolphin, Nov 14, 2019.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Welp, we finally discovered the successor to John Williams. It's the composer of the best non-JW SW theme/soundtrack since Shadows of the Empire.

It was always you, Ludwig

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Luke'sSeveredHand and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    God I hope not. His music for Mandalorian is not good. It doesn't sound like Star Wars at all, which any show or film should at least have SOME relation to the music of Star Wars. I hope he doesn't do anything beyond the Mandalorian. I also was not very impressed with his Black Panther score, so... not really a fan I guess.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love his music for Mandalorian. It definitely sounds Star Wars to me, the epic bombastic style, but with a sci-fi synth tinge with western fringes. Would it be out of place in a Skywalker Saga movie? Probably. But I think it works great for Mandalorian and even if they did more spin off movies.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    From what I've heard while watching the first two episodes once each, there's a little bit of classic SW, a little bit of Trek's Klingon Attack theme, and a whole lot of Good Bad and Ugly. It works for the TV show, but I doubt I'll go out and buy the soundtrack.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  5. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I'm really into the soundtrack. Reminds me of a Kurosawa film, which I'm guessing is intentional. I love how well the show is able to wear its influences on its sleeves without ever lapsing into cheap pandering.

I'm also really impressed they actually got me to sit through the credits. Those paintings work perfectly with that music.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the end credits music is a treat, there was a lot of emotional heavy lifting the music did in episode 2 and it worked in spades. Definitely great stuff with it's own distinctive flair. It's more Star Wars than not overall but once in awhile it adds it's own flourish.

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It’s a confident soundtrack with minimal ties to JW’s cues and motifs. It absolutely works.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Luke'sSeveredHand and Larsonator like this.
  8. Boba's Fettish

Boba's Fettish Jedi Knight

Apr 21, 2015
    dolphin and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I feel like there are some really nice pieces in the show, but it is still looking for its solid identity, similarly to the how Kevin Kiner's music evolved during The Clone Wars movie and the second or third season. I admit having been critical of his work during the movie and the first season only to be surprised by the amazing themes that would follow. With Rebels he became my favourite Star Wars composed after Williams (though, I actually like Kiner's Rebels score better than most of TFA and TLJ's scores). I also think that John Powell's SOLO score had lots of incredible themes in it as well (Han and Qira, Dryden Vos, Enfys Nest) and he should definitely score more projects in the future- Obi Wan perhaps?)

Now about the Mandalorian title theme, the opening makes sense, then it's followed by a strangely joyful Ba-ding sound (maybe that's for Yodayoungling). I really like where the music is heading around 2:00. It almost sounds like a 50's sci-fi movie before going full heroic theme around 2:10.

Part of me wishes they could have gotten Ennio Morrione out of retirement for this- I'm sure they tried. Love his work- especially Once Upon a Time in Ameria and his 1997 Lolita soundtrack.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee and Sarge like this.
  10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
  11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Having recently rewatched the series, I have to admit, I not only did I like the show better the second time around, but the score felt more fitting as well. I even hummed the heroic part of the main theme (starting at 2:10) for a couple of days after rewatching the show. Kuiil's theme is probably my favourite.