main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Any way to bring her back, don't limit yourself to my bizarre ideas, BUT SHE HAS TO DIE to be raised from the dead

NO. I AM BEING PARTICULAR WITH THIS. She has to come back from the dead.

Donate away :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, misbehaving AJAX. Now somebody delete this double post. :p

3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    For some reason, I was Mara in the dream and acting and thinking as her, so I'm guessing that the story would have to be from her POV - either told in first person, or third person limited. The idea is that Luke's stripped out of the Force, something or somebody blocks his connection to it on a medieval-looking planet with a lot of Gamorreans used as an army. He's basically staked out in a dungeon in a large castle and Mara has to save him, without being found out, as whoever is causing this Force drain - or some similar ability that one can invent themselves, I guess - could do the same to her.

This is where the weirdness of dream logic comes up: the system Mara uses in order to find Luke works like Ariadne's Thread. Not the actual trial-and-error method, but Mara uses the Force to create some form of super-durable red thread (I guess it was red because it symbolises love?) that helps her find her way to the dungeon.

Whoever ends up writing this can add whatever elements are missing - the main villain who created this outlaw-ish army and who seems capable of some dark side powers, the place where this is happening and whatever got Luke captured in the first place.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Are we allowed time travel, or bringing OCs in from other franchises?

And the resurrection definitely has to happen at least 5 years after death? Wiki says her funeral was in 40ABY.

5. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    OH. I was confused....so this has to be past Crucible....got it. Hmmmmmmm. Can I just throw out there as a total side-note (and you are all allowed to disagree) that Crucible was WEIRD.

As a side note, I feel like this challenge is going to make me have to read that whole series-that-shall-not-be-named. I read the first two or three and then threw up a bit at how OBVIOUS it was...and then saw the cover of Sacrifice, screamed obscenities & threw a tantrum...and haven't looked back. Harrumph.

Ewok Poet ummmmmm despite my involvement in the 50 titles thread, a side multi-post, and the bunnies always running around in my head...I am intrigued!!!! PM me? Unless anyone else wants to jump on it, that is. Or you and I could collab, since it's your bunny, after all??

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I will PM you at some point tonight, either way. Glad you're interested! :)

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Interesting plot bunny. I am eager to read what comes out of it.

Time travel is fine. I guess if you use time travel, it all doesn't have to take place at least 5 years after her death. Basically the goal is to continue on the Legacy 'storyline' canonically, but to bring Mara back somehow.

And OCs are fine

Yes, this has to be past Crucible (which I have still yet to read, but, yeh, from what I have heard, I'm not missing much. I have yet to finish Apocalypse for that matter. After the nuke to the Eu, I didn't want to experience 2 half-baked 'meh' stories as the ending. But one day I may get around to them just to say I did). You probably don't need to read any of the books. Wookieepedia is great, but I know I won't be referencing much of FOTJ or any of Crucible.

Sith-I-5, Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Ok, I have some plot bunnies for the challenge (possibly rather predictable ones but oh well) and it's about time I got back on the fanfic writing train, so I may give this a go!

Ewok Poet that sounds such an awesome dream! I'm somewhat jealous! And it could make a great story :)

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks. I was...confused. I am not familiar enough with Mara to dream of her, let alone *be* her in my dream. Two weeks ago, I was a 1990s girl band singer, last night I was Mara. This is weird.

Irish_Jedi_Jade and Annia Piet like this.
  10. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    ...I feel like I have about 12 bunnies all attached to me by the teeth, just hanging there as I walk around telling myself I'll clean my house and walk my dog when I get home from work. [face_shame_on_you]:oops:;)

Anyways...I wrote my challenge response. It's going to be a multi-post (maybe 4 chapters? Idk--haven't gotten that far yet!), but here's the first installment! 'Till Death Do Us Part. (The required phrase will be included later, promise!!)

As a side note, I read the wookipedia pages of this time, and even checked out Crucible and Sacrifice from the library (my face while skimming them: [face_sick])...but if anyone has read the actual LOTF books and would be willing to help me with a couple plot points, I'd greatly appreciate the PM! [:D][face_praying][face_love]

[face_good_luck] Irish

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh yes! I am so excited [face_dancing] (BTW: I have read all the LOTF books - it was FOTJ I never bothered completing, though I could - it was awhile ago, but I'm sure some skimming may refresh my memory, so if you want to continue our PM, I can try to help).

As for me, my challenge response will be a multi-chapter story too (that is quickly getting out of hand :p ). I'm about to finish my 2nd chapter of the weekend (4th chapter overall - but my chapters for this story are falling on the shorter ~1500 words length) so I may celebrate (after a late dinner) by posting the prologue.

EDIT!!!! And it is up: Together Again

Irish_Jedi_Jade likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have started to gather my team from their various eras or timelines.

I was forced to start in a way that I had not planned, in order for the thread I created, not to be locked. I had opened the thread, and listed the characters from my phone, which is not a suitable device to start writing proper posts.

13. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I thought this belonged here

[​IMG]

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I can see Luke telling her, "No, really! This is how my Master instructed me."

mavjade likes this.
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Somebody Photoshopped that pic and it came across my Facebook news feed:

[​IMG]

Ewok Poet and mavjade like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The short little legs just kill me.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    When I saw that on Mark's Instagram, I laughed way harder than I probably should have. I love it!

19. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Hi!

I've been absent for so many boring reasons, and I STILL need to finish my fairy tale retelling that I started *mumblemumble* ago -

- but I popped in to take a break from real life, read the challenge, and realized this was just what I needed to finish a story I started ages ago! But I'm not sure if the challenge is still running? I'm calling it "inspired by the challenge" for now, if that's okay?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, the challenge is still running until I start a new one (WHIIIIIIICHHHH won't be for awhile).

21. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    [face_batting] [face_batting] [face_batting] [face_batting] [face_batting] [face_batting]

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo!!! In peeking in around the forums and seeing ideas about blending Legends with New Canon - for instance how did Maz Kanata get Luke's lightsaber [face_laugh]

I have also enjoyed reading things that merge the canons, be they one-shots or something longer.

My idea: Luke has a relationship start after ROTJ with someone like Jyn [face_mischief] - or some Jedi in training who is lost :( Then when he meets up with Rey at the end of TFA, he also meets Mara, different of course but still herself You could give her any kind of back-story as similar to Legends as might be sans the "last command" or vastly different. :cool:

[face_batting]

23. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    So...interesting little blurb I read on Tumblr (I joined the 21st century guys...with much help from my baby sister that included many references to me being old, being antiquated, crusty, and generally a grandma-n00b:p).

Anyways, it was talking about how Mara was raised (basically) on Coruscant, and since the Core worlds have a British-Esque accent...she probably would. That made me kinda stop and ponder a bit. We've all heard Luke from the movies--straight up 'Murican accent right there. But I guess I never really thought about how Mara would speak, and...idk! It made me kinda bumble a bit. I think (because hey, everything's about me, right?:p ) I automatically just gave her (in my head) a un-accented, American "accent." But it totally makes sense she'd speak more like Obi-Wan, for lack of a better comparison.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Makes me wonder if Luke and her ever had any silly spats over the way one of them pronounced something, or they called something two different things (bathroom vs water closet, water fountain vs bubbler, etc.). <<plot bunny attack!>>

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wanna say I've had this conversation before, I just don't know where.

I listened to most of the EU on audiobook (remnants from being raised by a blind guy) and they always give Mara a very unaccented voice, which is what I give her, which also kinda makes sense. Mara was raised to be a spy, to be un-placeable, so maybe Palps made sure she didn't have a placeable accent. Where I'm from, western Canada, we have a very plain way of speaking and it is very hard to place where we come from, simply because there is no 'distinctness' to the way we speak, so people often gets jobs as news-anchors and whatnot all over because of the 'plain clarity'.

So, maybe she would have an accent, maybe not.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    The "Coruscanti accent" imho comes from Alec Guinness's and Ewan McGregor's Obi-wan interpretations, then it got extrapolated to include everyone on Coruscant. In my head cannon, Qui-Gon's accent is a regional dialect.

The fact that Rey (played by a British actor) has a British accent and Finn (also played by a British actor) does not is one of the main fuels for the "Rey is Obi's daughter" debate.

I've always figured Mara had the accent and that was her natural state of speech, but could turn it on or off whenever she needed to. If Palps had a British/Coruscanti accent, it would make sense that she, a courtier, would too. Otherwise it would draw unwanted attention to her.