main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke reacts to Hans death corrected quality. Full widescreen

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Voldemort, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
  2. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    A superfluous scene, due to Luke’s grief depicted later on his friend’s ship, which worked far better. I can see why Rian removed it.

3. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    @Darth Voldemort Rian Johnson had to cut this scene out so he could have more time to show lasers arc thru space.

2Cleva and Def Trooper like this.
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Hey. Those lasers arced downward cuz they were sad about Han's death. Pretty poignant.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I do like that. Wish it had been left in. I think it enhances, rather than detracts from, the Falcon scene.

6. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    The problem is, you do too many of those (even just two) and artistically you get what is perceived as "lots" of scenes of Luke moping over Han. I think sometimes less is more, and one scene of Luke aboard the Falcon, Han's ship, conveyed Luke's grief for his friend adequately. And then the story has to move on. Just my opinion of course.

dolphin and Palp_Faction like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree about doing too many. I just think that this was brief enough that it enhances rather than detracts. The immediacy of a reaction to the news just feels right to me. But, the scene on the Falcon is also my favorite scene of the film, so I was already happy with that.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    we needed more Porg close ups and Canto Bight filler. No time for this scene.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Did the Youtuber put the Binary Sunset track on it themselves? It was pretty good. If John Williams did that and Rian cut it, yeesh.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I actually liked some of those Porg close ups.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

christophero30 likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I understand why Johnson cut it, because “where’s Han?” and instantly cutting to another scene (is that how it plays?) is quite dramatic in and of itself. However, given Luke’s morose state generally, I think the film struggles to convey what Luke actually feels... Indeed, does he care about anything or anybody... see what I did there? ;)

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I agree, there is no point in this scene if you have a very similar one just a short time later. Then there is the way it was actually cut, with the "where is Han?" moving straight to Kylo Ren, which fits extremely well.

It doesn't feel like this was an additional scene either, more like an early version that was then merged into the scene on the Falcon. With the difference being that the scene on the Falcon has the additional benefit of having R2 in it, with the perfect call-back to ANH.

Leaving this out was an obvious choice. Some scenes may look nice when seen on their own, but there is such a thing as pacing, and not having redundant scenes. Any halfway capable editor would throw this one out when he has an even better scene that shows the very same thing.

Judging some of the comments in here, it seems like some are already more interested in complaining for the sake of complaining than making a fair assessment. How dare Rian Johnson trim the movie a bit when it is already the longest Star Wars movie. Clearly George Lucas never would have done something like that, no sir, he always kept every single scene that was similar to another one in the movies, never watching the pace or making things faster [face_clown]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  13. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Yes, because Maker forbid we don’t spend every moment of the whole trilogy concerned about Kylo. Han’s death was already about Kylo so why shouldn’t any grieving for him be too? Luke should have had scenes with Han, but that’s on JJ.

When they actually put in a shot of plants growing from a 50s educational film, then I question if they are halfway capable film editors. But this is all on Rian, he even said as much.

14. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah - I can go either way with it. The first few times I watched TLJ I felt Luke got over it a tad too easily. But then, the Falcon scene does work. Mostly. I dont think adding that scene back in would change my opinion of Last Jedi overall. Its still my favorite of the sequels and quite frankly for me it almost "ends" the saga since I despise TROS so much. ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Darth PJ and Lobot's Wig like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What I really don’t like is how there’s very little interaction between Luke and Chewie too. I mean, Luke’s not seen Chewie in years... they are friends, and their mutual best friend (Han) is dead. Maybe in the moment Luke just needed to be alone (?), but there should have been a scene afterwards of grief shared with Chewie. The Marvel films are, IMO, infinitely better at sustaining an emotional thread throughout their films. For example, just as you think enough time has past for it to be forgotten, Steve Rogers gets to dance with Peggy Carter again in Avengers Endgame. The ST has very few of these moments, and the ones we get, feel very forced and contrived IMO (the best being Luke and Leia, which isn’t nearly as substantial as what’s required plus Luke is a force projection).

16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yeh for the sake of a few extra seconds should've been kept imo

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's the same issue as Chewie and Leia having no moment in TFA. The filmmakers just don't see or treat Chewie as an actual character. TROS at least had Chewie react to Leia's death, but that's not the same as interaction between the characters. Missed opportunities.

18. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i quite liked Disney Chewie.. some nice moments.. his crossbow has never looked or sounded as good

19. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    The problem with the scene isn't the scene itself, it's the fact that you can't make up for the fact that Luke and Han never had a scene together, and nothing, including a scene of Luke looking sad, was going to overcome the fact that millions of fans were deprived of what they really wanted to see, which was the old gang back together again.

Unless they gave us a flashback in the scene, in which we actually got to see Han and Luke share a moment together, there was really no way to right this wrong. In a strange way, the scene really screams out, this tragedy was so unnecessary, and there is a sense of regret, like how could that much potential for a great moment between these two old friends was simply wasted and never given its due.

In the end, IMO, the scene also doesn't work because it's hard to feel bad for Luke here. While there is no definitive answer to this question, I think its fair to ask if Han would still be alive if Luke hadn't tucked tail and run. Perhaps if Luke has expressed personal responsibility for Han's death, it would have resonated for me.

2Cleva, PendragonM and Darth PJ like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Chewie on his own is great. I was talking about his lack of meaningful interaction with the other characters. Especially in times where the characters SHOULD have interacted due to their long friendship. We only got one moment like that.

[​IMG]

21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i thought he had great chemistry again with Han in TFA

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, the chemistry with Han was good. I'm talking about the interpersonal moments between the characters in major emotional moments. No moment between Leia and Chewie over Han's death. No moment between Luke and Chewie over Han's death. Old friends should have those moments together. I know that George joked that Chewie was like the family dog, but that shouldn't be taken literally.

Def Trooper and PendragonM like this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I thought Chewie was under-utilised in the ST. He was in lots of scenes, but he was a bit of OT wallpaper IMO. In hindsight, I think they should have created a new ‘alien’ supporting character for the sequels and maybe just had Chewie in TFA.

PendragonM and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That Chewie Shoots Ben But Purposefully Misses comic from a few yeas used Chewie better and was more emotionally impactful than anything actually in the ST.

christophero30 likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember that comic, and I agree.