main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke reacts to Hans death corrected quality. Full widescreen

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Voldemort, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    Perfectly fine? It's an interesting story and character beat to explore.

2. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Not at all. I was just curious. I’m on a few fan sites for various things, and whilst there is discontent, there is always discontent, it is often mixed up with the positives, as is the nature of fans. I just rarely see it quite so exclusive though, outside of obvious ‘character’ socks set up for that reason, or for humour. Which is what the poster might be doing, I dunno.

3. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    If no one is praising the scene not being in the movie, maybe that's because the vast majority of the fanbase feels like it was a disservice to the character of Luke Skywalker to not only never get to see Han again, but then not even be shown mourning Han's death either.

4. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    ‘Exclusive’ as in, contributors who post absolutely nothing else but complaints about these three movies, to the exclusivity of any other kind. I just haven’t really seen that so often, which is why I wondered whether it was a gimmick for some. I have seen fan site contributors who use a sock as a kind of comedy character to post obviously over the top praise or negativity about a thing before.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  5. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    No gimmick here. Just generally feel that the ST is underwhelming and I enjoy talking about how let down I was with other people who also felt let down.

6. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    It's the nod in this thread to Andy Rooney that has convinced me. Which is cool. I get it now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think you have that level of insight into people's behaviour/posting activity. I'd imagine that, certainly for TFA, many were positive about Williams' score (I know I was)... same goes for production values (the ST look like they've had a lot of money spent on them i.e. they are 'lavish') the visual effects, which are mostly great throughout the ST. However, topics/fans tend to spend much more time discussing character, plot, dialogue, in-universe world building etc. etc. which are probably more fundamental, and that I think most of us have critisisms of.

2Cleva, alwayslurking and PendragonM like this.
  8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    What is that supposed to mean? You think I hate the ST for clout?

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    It means he's pretending we all don't dislike the ST so he can be in denial about it. It's a coping mechanism.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Oh yes, because SW fans want to hate SW. My favorite thing since 1977.

11. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    No, I think you hate the movies because you hate the movies. Hating them as some kind of exclusive pastime was a bit harder to understand, but I do now.

12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I wish I didn't belong in this "exclusive" group. I wanted to like the ST.

christophero30 and PendragonM like this.
  13. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Whatever.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Continually complaining that people are still discussing what they don't like about the ST is also a bit of an odd pastime, but some people like to do that. To each their own, I'd say.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  15. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    Since I can't edit my comment (I wish it was not the case with this forum) I'll rephrase:

He first learns of his death and deals with the emotional/psychological aspect of it. But then after boarding the Falcon, the memories are even more emotional because his mind is now saved of the burden of imagining one aspect of the memories and the emotions become stronger because now he's in the same place his adventures took place at a different time.

It's no different to how anyone goes to a place where they had better times. Take me for example. I moved to North America during adolescence to places I didn't want to. I completely missed out on my school experience. Lost most of my friends. I grew up with the original trilogy in my home country. Then in October 2004 when picking up the novelization of A New Hope in my local library. The technical and scientific detail made me more enthusiastic about Star Wars once again. Then it made me curious about the Ewok movies and Mace Towani's gun.

It then triggered memories of me starting senior school and when my uncle bought me Caravan of Courage on VHS (already had Battle for Endor). It then made me miss home and my last years of childhood which I wasted. Only a couple of months later I was invited by a friend and hardcore SW fan who still hadn't seen Attack of the Clones. So I rented and watched it on a Friday before taking it to him and watching it together with him.

But that winter I flew to my home country after years and went to a secluded section on the second floor of my house as my other uncle was away so I had the whole apartment to myself. I put the VHS special edition of The Empire Strikes Back he got me years earlier and I was blown back to my childhood. It happened instinctively.

It was a mix of emotional pain and stimulation. Note that I had regretted my decision earlier but experiencing watching a childhood favorite in the place I grew up with it long before there were any prequels was a totally different experience.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    What similarities could you find in his reaction to death compare to how Luke reacted to Owen and Beru's death. or on a much bigger scale how Leia reacted to her adopted home planet getting vaporized? My take is that Star Wars does not portray grief very well on screen.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That's true. But this...

[​IMG]

Is haunting. It changes him. It sets him on the heroes journey. His call to adventure.

So if we're going with mirroring themes here, where Luke once again needs to answer that call, I think a more direct, on-screen reaction would be better. It doesn't have to last long, it can continue on the next scenes,but right then and there would have been better to me. It's also not that he couldn't slowly come around to wanting to help again, or grieving on the Falcon later on. I just think that so far in the trilogy we saw Rey, Finn, Chewie, and even Leia's on screen immense reaction to seeing/hearing that event. And for Luke, it skips over it, has him go back to doing boring chores, refusing to show sadness or anything really emotional to the news, and then finally, on the falcon, we see some sadness, and "hey that's a cheap move", where Luke is sorta still angry and refusing to want to help and knows he's wrong for it. It's more complex, in a way, but not as moving.

18. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Luke being slumped over and almost lay down outside the hut when talking to Rey in the next scene adequately conveys his shock and grief to me. Also, his belligerence and snarky "What do you want me to do about it? Get lost" attitude, which is both meta, and in-universe applicable, and why I think it really works. People in shock often lash out.

I get that some people don't like or get it that it is done this way, but it's as clear as day to me.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I never got that statement. Its actually foggy as heck around my house today. :p