main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Vivec, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I haven't heard much about this book....I was definitely interested in seeing a more action-oriented, pre-Jedi Master Luke, but I didn't think it built up so much expectation. What is it that got people so worked up over it?

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, I have this suspicion that Luke dies in it. His time is totally up. Soemone's going to do him in.

Oh wait, this book is based before other stories with Luke in it?

Darn and drat! Well, I'll just move this conversation into the thread for his latest book. Would that be Fate of the Jedi? Well, I have this suspicion that Luke dies in the Fate of the Jedi series. His time is totally up. I'll put my money on the very first book. And if he doesn't die in that one, it's gotta be the second...

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The fact that Stover has taken one of the more interesting throwaway storylines from WEG (and later, The Essential Chronology and its newer counterpart) and made a novel out of it. We know the bare-bones of what happens here, and it's a compelling starting point; add in Stover's deft telling of previous stories, and this promises to be a good book. Add in some tantalizing hints about other canon used in the story (e.g. the villain, Lord Shadowspawn, is an alter-ego for a certain other character we haven't seen much of in current canon), and it's essentially a perfect storm for canonistas.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm staying away from the main thread until I can get my hands on a copy of this book (I'll be stalking my local bookstores, or at least calling them at least once a day, to see if they have it yet), so might as well pop in here.

I just want to second most of Ris_jSarek's points, in that its written by Stover, and looks like it'll use canon nicely. I also want to add that after how... well, ridiculously bad LotF (just to clarify, most of the writing was competent, but the events, plot, characters, and especially the finale were... very frustating) was, and with how MF was ok (MF wasn't a bad book, just in no way made up for most of the rest of the bad recent novels, with the exception of Coruscant Nights and maybe one or two others), at least some of us are very eager for a good book to... well, I personally am hoping for something to cleanse my mind.

I also think its just set in a very nice and potentially interesting time period. I don't think we've gotten any New Republic stuff for a while, so it'll be nice to see Luke (and hopefully other characters as well) pre-Byss, pre-Jedi Master, and before all the horrors of the Yuuzhan Vong War, like Anakin's death, and then Jacen's death as well.

Though, mainly, it simply comes down to- its Stover! Writing Luke Skywalker! Yay! As long as its at least fits Stover's normal level of quality, that should still be very good.

5. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm no canonist anymore, so the promise of stuff I don't know anyway showing up doesn't do much for me.

But I'm absolutely hyped because Matt Stover is one of my favourite authors right now, because I absolutely enjoy the idea of doing a simple "close to movies era" adventure with all the heroes and vehicles from back then and because I absolutely enjoy the idea of having a novel harken back to the pre-Zahn days. Having started with the Zahn books, this hasn't got anything to do with real nostalgia, but rather with semi-real nostalgia for an era I still got a feeling for through the first few novels I read (Han Solo and Lando Calrissian).

In the end, I hope the book will not carry any "EU baggage" but will rather be a book I can enjoy on its own. I'm a little bit hesitant about Fenn Shysa appearing when the new Mandalorian history is both something I don't want to hear anymore and a canon element they probably can't just omit, but I'll just black out all sentences that don't refer explicitly to the old Marvel comic (which was the only Marvel comic I read back then, incidentally - more nostalgia!). :p

I don't know if it will live up to its hype. But then again what does? And as long as I enjoy it (which I will just based on the basic ingredients), I won't be disappointed.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Anyone else having trouble getting hold of this?

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's not technically out until today (in those parts of the world where "today" is the 30th).

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmm. Well, hopefully it won't be much longer. I'm tempted to order it from somewhere else, and simply send the book which arrives in the post latest gets sent back.

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Mine is finally getting sent out, and the way things are looking, I'll be able to fetch and read it in nine days. Which will also be a long weekend for me, which makes it even better.

Here's one question I'd like to raise to those who are actually looking at this, though - does anyone get the feeling that the whole spoiler-atmosphere is very relaxed with Mindor? I'm just casually browsing the forum, but I can't help noticing stuff like

- the official sticky thread not being marked as a SPOILER thread (which really stands out, as it's the only 'new product' thread I know that left this warning out)
    - the new social thread being called 'Ackbar is back', which somehow might be related to Mindor ;)
    - a Nagai war thread that claims to have "very minor Mindor spoilers" while I believe that there was a very strict policy against spoilers of any kind outside the official spoiler thread (but then again, the official thread isn't marked as the official spoiler thread)
    - someone discussing a starship issue and mentioning a ship from Mindor in passing - nothing that would directly spoil anyone (OMG! it has a starship!), but still a direct reference to Mindor which would fall under the 'absolutely no spoilers' rule
    - likewise, an 'evil Imperials' thread that prompts someone to mention that if you read Mindor, you'll get an Imperial protagonist who is belonging to one category and not the other.

I'm not saying this because I feel spoiled and want to complain (as I said, it's either no real spoiler or at least clearly marked and avoidable) - it's just funny that over the last few years there was so much buzz about spoilers (especially around the time Sacrifice came out) that I really feel a change of atmosphere with Mindor. It's almost like the seventies again. ;) Is this due to the fact that the hype suggested anyone would have read it within three hours of publication, that there can't be any spoilers as we know that Luke survives the novel anyway, or something that isn't just a silly joke theory?

If there's a Mod out there, do you think that you did/do consciously or unconsciously treat Mindor in a different way?

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    -That's an oversight-Mk probably just forgot. I'll correct that in a moment.
    -The Nagai War thread had permission by RF to include spoilers. If you get mod approval beforehand, such threads outside the main discussion thread are permitted. I also wouldn't consider the thread title to be a spoiler- whether or not the Nagai are mentioned in Mindor, they're both events that happened in close proximity to one another and doesn't necessarily suggest a connection, only a comparison.
    -Not knowing which thread the comment in question took palce in, I can say we usually give special exception to the Fleet Junkie thread in permitting the discussion of starship "spoilers" from new releases.
    -A valid complaint- though possibly other issues regarding that topic may have distracted us from notocing the minor spoiler.

That said, normally we also lock the older disucssion thread when a new book comes out, so I'll be doing that after I post this, as to not cause any confusion for users over which thread to discuss the book in. If you would like further clarification on any of these points, feel free to PM me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.