main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Fans Unite II!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sasha Sawyer, Aug 24, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasha Sawyer

Sasha Sawyer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 1999
    Hello, and welcome!

I thought I, as a TPM 'Basher', would start a thread about the good laughs in TPM.

I understand that some folks here like 'Jar-Jar', and how he appeals to their 'inner youth', and he brings childish innocence to the film. Ok, no complaints there. At all.

But let me tell you, imho, the true laughs at lines that were delivered during this film were by, none other than Ric Olié!

Yes, Ric Olié, the man with the penchant for restating the blatently obvious! And no, I'm not being sarcastic....I promise!!

The last time I watched the film (my 6th), I was with my son, and a friend (his first time watching TPM), but I couldn't control myself...I had to laugh at some of these classics:

"Look, there's the blockade!"

"You catch on pretty quick."

"Shield generator's been hit."

"Power's back."

and so on, and so on....

After the first few lines Ric Olié spoke, I started to glance over at my friend...we both started laughing... we could hardly control our laughter!

However, because there was a couple in front of us, who obviously hadn't seen the movie before so we stifled our laughter...we didn't want to spoil it for them.

I submit to all fans of TPM (Bashers included) that Jar Jar was sometimes funny, and was enjoyed by the 'younger folk' in all of us, but Ric Olié, this man is a comedian par excellance!

Note: This is not, repeat, not sarcasm. I honestly like Ric Olié, but did any of you get the same reaction? I'm thinking GL intentionally wrote the part for him this way...I think Ric Olié's lines and humor are on par with C3PO's from the original trilogy....

Does anyone agree?

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Generic (edited 08-24-1999).]

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    The guys just slow leave him alone.

Remember that Simpsons episode where they called Homer slow.

3. Viceroy Raygun

Viceroy Raygun Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 1999
    I totally agree. My friends and I get a big kick out of reciting his lines. I think every Star Wars movie has a moment or character that is so poorly done that it is hilarious, but at the same time not hurting the movie at all. I think that it adds to the fun. I admit that some times I get a big chuckle in ESB, when Darth tells Luke his big secret. Seeing Hamill contort his face in a display of pure over acting, it's probably the single most dramatic comedic moment I have ever seen. NOOOOOOO!!! Man, Hamill was robbed of an Oscar.

4. Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    I agree. I bust into histerics whenever Ric says, That's it. Tatooine. And Tatooine is filling the screen to a point that it's all you can see.

I get funny looks, but I've convinced my friends of Ric's comic appeal. And now they laugh just as much as me.

And heck, the guy is gonna become the next cult Star Wars favorite. He's so corny that he Rules. And corny Star Wars characters are one of the cool things about the four Star Wars movies.

5. Boba Chef

Boba Chef Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 1999
    But will Ric Olie be back in Episodes II & III? I feel like I would be lost in those movies without his helpful commentary.

6. Qui-Gon Generic

Qui-Gon Generic Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 25, 1999
    Shimmergloom, I agree with you completely......

A 'Basher' and a 'Gusher', agreeing?

There's hope for us yet!

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Generic (edited 08-25-1999).]

7. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    Tsssk, tsssk. You've got it all wrong.

"She's just curious about the planet."

and

"I think you can kiss your trade franchise goodbye" take the cake!

8. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Ric Olie in Episode 2 and 3? God help us...

"And look over there, it's Darth Vader, who used to be young little Anakin Skywalker, but is more machine than man now..."

"Palpatine is Sidious!"

9. See Three

See Three Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 1999
    I totally agree. In my 9th viewing a couple of weeks ago, my sister and I couldn't stop laughing. We tried to hold it in for the others who obviously didn't get it but we couldn't. "Shield generator's been hit!" Pppps...HaHaHahaha!

10. Porkins is a Pig

Porkins is a Pig Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 1999
    He reminds you a little of Bob Newhart, doesn't he?

11. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    The conversations going on in that cockpit during the escape from Naboo make it the single funniest scene in the whole movie, possibly all the Star Wars films combined.

Besides Ric's dialogue and painful expressions, you've got Obi-Wan talking like he's in some kind of hypnotic trance: "here master...tatooine..."

And who could forget our man Panaka? "You can't take her there. The Hutts are gangsters!"

12. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Ric Olie: Master of the Obvious.

Favorite line: "Coruscant! The whole planet is one big city!"

This said of course as they've already descended through its atmosphere and its cityscape fills the windows...

**Piett**

13. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    The first time I saw TPM, I felt bad for the guy. I guess I was disappointed by the cheesy-ness. But I QUICKLY learned to love the man for who he is: My new favorite Sw character of all time!! My roommate has only seen TPM once so I can't wait to get the video and blast Ric Olie lines through the apartment!!

14. big ric olie

big ric olie Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 1999
    Ric Olie makes this movie. Forget Jar Jar, or even Panaka, Ric delivers his lines with such poise and presion of which I havent seen the likes since the Storm Trooper who said "Look sir, droids". I would have never known that the shield generators where hit unless he told. Would you have known that Coruscant was made up of one big city, I think not. When I think of Ric Olie, I think of courage, determination and the uncanny ability to state the obvious. Long live Ric Olie

15. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Ric Olie is the modern-day, cinematic equivalent of a Greek Chorus. I think he should have been in every scene in order to narrate for the audience.

16. Qui-Gon Generic

Jun 25, 1999
    C Creepio, I agree with you...he's my favorite character from TPM.

I think Ric Olié is a slacker, too...look at him! He doesn't usually make an effort to say anything until it's already happened, right?

17. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    "Here, take this Big Mac. This is food. You eat it. It gives you energy and keeps you alive. It is called a Big Mac because it is big and it comes from McDonald's."

18. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    The actor who played Ric is my hero! That guy STOLE the movie from the other stars and singlehandedly made TPM the successful summer film it turned out to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn some LucasFilm casting director discovered this brilliant actor while getting the tires rotated on his Buick.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. O-Wise-One

O-Wise-One Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 1999
    His expressions throughout the movie seem to convey these thougts: "I sure picked the wrong week to quit smoking." and "Man, I could use a cigarette!"

20. The Lone Bantha Ranger

The Lone Bantha Ranger Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's a challenge:

Rewrite other scenes from the movie, like:

If R. Olie had made it to Watto's Junkyard:

"Credit's _will_ do fine"

"No, they wont'a!"

Big Ric Olie: "He's not falling for it!"

It's funny if you imagine Ric Olie being there, with his eyelids peeled back, and that someone-justed-dropped-icecubes-down-my-pants expression.

Here's another challenge:

Try being Ric Olie in real life:

You pull up to the cinema with your family:

"The Regal 14.... they play movies on every screen...."

-or-

The cat tips over a glass of milk...

Make contorted Ric Olie face:
    "That cat spilled the milk."

-or-

You iron your favorite shirt:

stare at it for a couple seconds;

contort into R. Olie face:

"That little iron did it!"

OK, I'm not good at this stuff, but that's why it's a challenge.

"This is a good thread!!"
    -- R. Olie

TLBR

21. Ric Olie's Hairdresser

Ric Olie's Hairdresser Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    And did you check out the dude's hair - kicks ass.

22. Ric Olie's Hairdresser

Ric Olie's Hairdresser Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    And did you check out the dude's hair - kicks @ss.

23. Queen FruitBat

Queen FruitBat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 1999
    His name is Ric Olie
    He'll have it no other way
    Oh Ric Olie, we don't understand
    State it plainly, OK?

Stop talking in riddles
    What was that that you said?
    I think he sees Tatooine
    Straight up ahead...

24. Qui-Gon Generic

Jun 25, 1999
    The ever eloquent Queen FruitBat, bravo, bravo!

We should abort, sir. Our deflector shields can't withstand this

QDG, TLBR, and DD, loved your posts, also....hilarious!

25. Sabe

Sabe Jedi Youngling

May 9, 1999
    (Wiping tears from her eyes)

Sorry, still laughing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.