main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Fans Unite II!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sasha Sawyer, Aug 24, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan juan

padawan juan Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 1999
    Haha, I know why Luke and Han are the best duo; all the slash chicks are voting for them.

2. Sasha Sawyer

Sasha Sawyer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 1999
    Hey! The forum is back up! I haven't even been trying to log on since it took so long last time they closed down, I assumed it would be next week before things were up and running, -- and all the threads even seem to be intact! Good job force.net guys!!

Luke's still holding his lead, but I wish it were a healthier one. Those Indyites are sly, they could close that gap in one evening if they wanted. (Don't we know it? )

Hannibal Lecter is gaining on Darth Vader and that's just wrong, . We'll have to do something about that.

Purely out of principles I've been voting for "Empire", -- I don't know if I really think it deserves title of best action, but what the hay. I vote Luke and Han even though I'd be fine and dandy if C-3P0 and R2D2 won best duo, -- I just don't want to leave Han out in the cold. (That carbonite thing was bad enough! ) I also vote for "Star Wars" about twenty times each round because I'd be so furious if Titanic got it! I want to see Star Wars splashed across the cover of this issue of Entertainment Weekly!! And I'll take so much pride in seeing it you'd think I had the byline or something, LOL! But I do feel this amazing sense of power! Writers revenge, -- for once the editors will do our bidding!!

This is my own personal pattern of voting, for anyone interested:
    James Stewart,
    Marilyn Monroe,
    Tom Hanks,
    Meryl Streep,
    Steven Spielberg,
    Then one hundred votes for Mark Hamill, -- which takes about 25 minutes --
    ten votes for Darth Vader,
    10 votes for Luke and Han,
    five votes for Jack Lemmon and
    five for "Some Like It Hot", (I do that because I know I'm probably the only person voting for them so I like seeing how much POWER I alone have. Hehehe. Did I tell you I was into this power thing?! I think I'm the Emperor's daughter.)
    I then cast 50 votes for "The Sixth Sense", 10 votes for "Empire"
    and about twenty for "Star Wars". (I have to half the time anyway because they won't let me see the tally results, so I push back, forward, back, forward...)

This all takes about one hour and some days I do it three times, LOL!! Did I mention I have no life? Actually, I've been quite busy and have been cutting into my sleep to fit this in, I am so obsessed. I have to get therapy, I'm telling you!

The ironic thing is, I'm in film yet I haven't even considered any of these poll questions seriously except for best hero, scariest and best movie. I answered the first time through out of reflex and have just stuck with it so as not to cancel my own votes. When this is over I'll have to review and decide who I should've voted for!

Nice to hear new faces on this thread! I love meeting new people, hearing new stories.
    I noticed that they fixed the original Luke thread, should we move back? I don't want to ruin Jedi44's fun, -- I know I'd hate it if we had to start a new Starbucks thread, -- you lose continuity and don't get to read "how it all started". Besides, half the fun is seeing that post number rise!

Nice to be back with y'all. (that's a nod to you, SWFan)

3. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    PS, Ariv, Mark was in "One Day at a Time", -- as a guest star. He played the super's thieving, bad nephew or cousin or something. He hit on Valerie Bertinelli just to distract her from his evil ways, LOL.

Hamill actually did date Valerie, but apparently meeting her protective Italian family proved to be daunting...

4. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! We grew too complacent, Indiana Jones is ahead 40 to 26!!!!!! It'll take ages to regain our position. Forget Labour Day, -- Back to the polls, Luke Lovers!

(I know, I know, -- this is a cloned message. But I didn't know which thread people are on now.)

5. JediPrincess

JediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 1999
    Oh my God!!!!! How did this happen!? Who's staying online all night to vote with me? And how about this: on the last day you can vote, we launch an all out voting bombardment. Everyone get to the poll and vote until you can't vote anymore! Returing to the polls with a vengance,
    JP

6. Gruns

Gruns Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 1999
    "There's an Imperial Snow Trooper! And look! He's setting up his E-Web blaster cannon right by the door! Is that more Snow Troopers invading the base?! Over there is Darth Vader himself!!! He's really tall!"

Oh yes, Ric Olie' makes this movie.

Later!
    Gruns
    http://www.sunlink.net/~mucklman/ricolie.htmlwww.sunlink.net/~mucklman/ricolie.html

ObFakeRicOlieQuote: "Obi-Wan looks like he's going to use the Force to send Qui-Gon's lightsaber flying toward him, leap 17 feet out of that reactor, catch the lightsaber, land, and slice Darth Maul in half! Let's watch! ... ... ...That little padawan did it!!!"

7. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Princess: Great job! I just checked the polls and it's 38.94 to 28.45, Indiana Jones in the lead. But still, it takes a lot of button pushing to have changed it that much. Last night, I voted for Luke 480 times and then collapsed in bed (I didn't even vote twice for "The Sixth Sense" that's how tired I was! Yet, that only closed the gap by one and a half percent, so I see that you must've been true to your word and clocked in some hours after me. You go, girl!!

What is the last day we can vote?

I'm having friends over tonight and I'm making them all vote thirty times for Luke before they can eat and have fun, -- it's the price of admission!

8. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Sasha: Here have been my votes:

*James Stewart (although I did sneak in one vote for James Dean just because I love him so!)
    *Katherine Hepburn (although sometimes I've voted Bette Davis)
    *Kevin Spacey
    *Meryl Streep (although may I just say how heartening it is to see my two favorite actresses, Cate Blanchett and Emily Watson as nominees! Someday when they each have a larger body of work, they may yet win this poll )
    *Steven Spielberg
    *Of COURSE Mark as Luke
    *Darth Vader
    *Luke and Han
    *Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doutfire"
    *"The Sixth Sense" (just because I love this movie so much, even though I actually think "Psycho" was a scarier film)
    *"Return of the Jedi" (just because no one seems to be voting for it *sob*)
    *"Star Wars"

*sigh* Luke is still behind by 10% . I am hoping we will be able to launch one final voting avalanche on the last day/night and by the time this thing is over, the Indy/Han fans won't have a chance to a counter attack *hehe*. Remember everyone, when you are losing hope, just think of what a great birthday present it would be for Mark to find out he was voted the all-time best movie hero!!!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Callie (edited 09-04-1999).]

9. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Callie, Ahh, a voice from the darkness!! Everyone seems to be BBQing (or, more likely , at the malls)-- I was feeling very alone in the trenches.

I admire your choices. Like I said before, I still have no idea how I'd really vote! Except for James Stewart, he's my first love.

Which day is the last day? And what if the Indyites are planning the same thing? -- We'll only succeed in maintaining the distance if that's the case. Also, even though we've closed this big of a gap before, I don't think you realize how much work it was. I haven't been exaggerating, I've literally put in three hours a day and I know many of the others have, too. But we're petering out.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

[This message has been edited by Sasha Sawyer (edited 09-04-1999).]

10. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Don't lose hope. Some of us are stuck at work all week-end and Labor Day with nothing to do but wait for the phone to ring. I'll try to keep our noble endeavor from failing.

I know, I know, there is no try.

11. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Wormie2: A kindred spirit! I sense your presence as I vote!

You're from a Kansas City paper? Do they carry Rich Davis' "Ribman" series? I got addicted when Mark Hamill did the "Wag, the Superhero" strip.

12. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    BTW, how can the phones ring when you're online? ....ahhh! Sneaky, very sneaky. And devious, -- you are one of us, aren't you?

13. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    ISDN line. Nothing too sneaky. I'll check about the strip. Most run on Sundays. The Sunday paper will be up in an hour. I'll check then.

14. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    I'm writing you between votes, now that I know someone else is out there.

I love the whole newspaper environment. I've read in books where old journalists refer to having printer's ink "running through their veins". I can imagine that, I love the smell, I love the hustle bustle, I love the whole snoopiness of it -- that suits my personality fine, LOL!

I used to go into our little town's newspaper shop just soak it all in.

Are you the person who said on another thread that they liked Greedo shooting first? If so, I don't think I can be your friend, -- Luke votes or no Luke votes. J/K

15. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Ariv: (nice name, BTW) We do it all at once. Vote for Luke, push the arrow at the bottom, let the new page start to load, then push your "back" button so you're returned to Luke. Keep doing that. The more the better.

You're one of those people who don't read all the posts on a thread, huh? Just giving you a bad time...

16. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Brutal, Sasha, brutal. Yes, I am the one. Differing opinions tend to make life more interesting, you know.

17. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Wormie2: I don't know...intolerance has always been my motto.

Hey, think of something to talk about. Voting is much quicker and far more endurable when I can gab. I'm kind of a "chatty Cathy", -- have you noticed, LOL?

18. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Papers are almost up! Um...something to talk about....oh, you know, newspapers don't really use much ink anymore. It's all computerized, so the only time I've got ink running anywhere is when I grab one off the line. It's still noisy, always will be. I love that. I think part of being a journalist is being habitually curious and nosey. To me, it's like a vacation that I get paid for. What fun! Especially when I get to cover things I love, like the Star Wars convention in Denver. That was awesome! Other times, like over holidays, it kinda sucks working for a company that never closes, but I'll survive. It's the perks, like the press kit I have for TPM. No one, I mean no, one has this. Our movie critic wanted to pitch it, and I had to bodily stop him. Took it right out of his hands! Fool didn't know what sacralige he was about to commit. Stuff like that makes working Christmas tolerable.

19. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Wormie2: No more ink? Don't spoil my illusions.

You're a real live journalist?!! How very Clark Kent/Lois Laneish! Do you have one of those badges that gives you permission to cross police lines? J/K

I actually think there are a lot of down sides to being in journalism. We just had a horrible mass pileup on a freeway north of here. Very sad. I wouldn't want to be covering that.

And nothing is worth working Christmas, though that press kit sounds way cool!!

So... how did you a) Get addicted to Star Wars? b) Start coming to this forum, c) Choose journalism as your career?

I know, I know.... I should be asking the who, what, where, when and why's, too. In time.

20. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Okey-day, I've looked in tomorrows paper. Sorry, it doesn't appear that we carry that strip. At least not on sundays. As to when I became a fan.....I blame my two guy friends. Jeff and Dave. They made me play Princess Leia all summer the year Empire came out. Kinda wore off on me, I guess. A friend of mine from my job told me about this board, so here I am, talking with strangers about Star Wars...pretty wild.

Oh, a little side-bar. If RH from Detroit is reading this; I know that you know that I know that you know who I am. So be kind! I'm not really giving away trade secrets, honest.

Anyway Sasha, back to your questions. Why I became a journalist? I love to write, I love to know everything about everything, I'm habitually curious, and I didn't want the normal mon-fri, 9-5 kinda job. So, this is what I do. It's a love/hate kinda thing.

21. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Wookie2: If you get a spare moment, try talking your paper into picking up "Ribman". Kansas City is BBQ country, the whole strip is a spoof and homage to the culinary art and super heroes. Besides, if I can convince enough people to carry his work, I think Rich will give me a free 2BQ apron! http://www.ribman.net/RibMan: Superhero for the Heroless Check out Mark Hamill's strip in the deep freeze section.

I'm off for some family bonding. As I leave the polls the vote stands at Indiana Jones 37.05 to Luke with 31.66. We're slow, but sure.

I never played Princess Leia, -- I was too into Star Trek at the time. I was busy imagining that I was the one driving Spock crazy during Pon-thor. (Is that what it was called? It's been a while...) Anyway, I had a definite mind set, that's for sure, LOL. Now I focus all those hormones on Luke!

Thanks for chatting, it made it much more bearable and fun. BTW, for a journalist, you sure aren't very nosy! (You ask no questions)

22. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Ugh...........sorry, I'm still hung over from last night. So, ya want questions, do ya? Ok, here we go. What do you do for a living? What do you plan to do with the degree in film? When did you become a fan? Oh gosh, that was thunder I just heard. So, how's the weather where you are? You may have a crush on our pal Luke, but who is your favorite character to laugh at? Who do you wish hadn't died, who do you wish had? What are you planning on focusing on while you wait for the next installment?

Is that enough? My headache is back.

23. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    Wormie2: LOL! I should be careful what I ask for! I don't mean to rub it in that I'm not at work today and you are, but I really need to get ready to go out. I'll give you the short version answers to your questions.

1) Write
    2) Direct
    3) I've always been a fan, I've been an obsessed fan for about two months.
    4) I'm on Lake Placid (the Olympic one, not the stupid alligator one), -- it's starting to get windy. I hope something is blowing in, it's been hot and humid and I'm about to kill someone.
    5) I laugh at George Lucas a lot, but I think that's unintentional on his part. There's not a great deal of humour in the last two installments, but prior to those I enjoyed Han's quips. And Chewie can say more with a single growl than most people with a dictionary at their disposal...
    6) I didn't mind anyone dying, though there's some I wish would've stayed dead. I thought Obi-Wan was much more effective as a guiding voice and Darth Vader was better faceless.
    6) I think about Anakin. What a poignant storyline. I hope it achieves its full potential.

Thanks again for keeping me company!

Sorry this was so quick, let me know if you want clarification or embellishment. I'll be back late this evening.

24. ambrosia

ambrosia Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 1999
    Hello Luke fans.....LUKE IS LOSING!!!!!

But only by a VERy small percentage.

Indie - 37.33%
    LUKE - 37.16%

I know you guys are out there becuase Vader is on top and Sixth Sense is moving up.\

So get on out there and vote!

I say on Sept 6th (a day before voting closes) we all vote for Luke a LOT so Indie fans don't have tome to catch up!

25. Sasha Sawyer

Jun 15, 1999
    As I write this Indy has gained a little more ground, but not much. (37.58 to 37.00) Like Ambrosia said, I know you're out there, because the numbers are moving up.

But I'd sure like to know who is out there. This ballot stuffing is a lonely business, could you all check in once and at least say "hi"?

I can't believe it's just Wormie2, Callie, Princess, Ambrosia, and I making all this difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.