main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Luke Skywalker Homestead/Tatooine Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Smuggler_Alliance, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler_Alliance

Smuggler_Alliance Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    Hi, I'm trying to make a costume like the one Luke wore in A New Hope. Does anyone know where I can buy one online? The Magic Wardrobe website has one but at an outrageous price.

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. __Trips

__Trips Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2005
    its a really simple costume.
    you coul make it, or see if they sell some haloween costume. Usuallt they would suck, but seing as its a really simple design i assume it would be decent.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Order a light-weight karate gi from any martial arts supply store or dojo.
    Dye the pants the tawny gray-brown.
    Find stuff to make books & belt with. Can't help you much there. Go on eBay and search for belt pouches. Lots of ammo pouches are available for reasonable price. Polish them black.

Good luck.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Depends on how accurate you want. A karate gi, no matter what colour still looks like a karate gi, and not like Luke's costume.

The actual costume itself though is fairly easy to make using gi and (dare I say it?) bathrobe patterns, that have been modified.

The belt can be tricky. Some of those pouches are actually very hard to find now. The actual belt itself is pretty easy to make. 1.75 inch leather strap and the rectangular buckle.

The boots are also very hard to find. They are quite unique, and it appears there are at least 2 different pairs used. Outdoors had a sandy coloured sole, while indoors and in the publicity shots they had black soles. You also need to find puttees (or leg wraps).

There are some good references available at both the Replica Prop Forum and at the Rebel Legion websites. If you need any more help just ask.

5. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    JedHead1's (Matt's) bro did a great farmboy costume--you should ask Matt about it to see if he could give you any advice. If you're including the hat, I know a good place online to get the Red Baron goggles really cheaply.

I find it rather amusing that Luke's farm pants were simply bleached Levi's. :p

6. DarkKnightofSith

DarkKnightofSith Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2005
    Check out the Padawan's Guide. They should have the pattern you are looking for under Jedi Costumes or under Original Triology costumes.

The site also has ideas for making some of the jedi props like the underwater breather, and the communicator. Oh and of course the lightsaber.

hope that helps.
    Dusty

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I actually have a pair of goggles I'm trying to sell.

8. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Not to go off topic but those same goggles were used by the Naboo pilots, so multi-purpose costume accessory!

9. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Exactly. You can even use them for other non-SW costumes, like Sky Captain.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Heh, the original movie was almost entirely "off the shelf" for costumes. Solo's pants were bluejeans with red tape down the sides to hide the seams. Luke's tunic was a gi top. Obi Wan was a gi, hakuma, and cloak/robe on top.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.