main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It doesn't make sense for ANY Jedi really, with the possible exception of Mace Windu.

All the Jedi value and encourage compassion and joy. What a ****show.

wobbits, PendragonM and Def Trooper like this.
  2. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think it feels like a bunch of people either watched the case against the jedi youtube video and took it as an absolute, or are still not happy with the jedi being portrayed as people with rules against attachment in the prequels.

Then again, there's also always that these things are actually being considered in any case, but this comic is just trying to justify the ST, even though it's not connected to Luke at the end of OT or even in the actual TLJ movie, where Luke's big flawed action, on screen, is him letting his emotional attachments control him, to the point where he wants to murder his nephew in his sleep.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    These are the people who formed an opinion about the Jedi by listening to Palpatine and thinking he is right about the Jedi.

PendragonM likes this.
  4. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    It's just insane to me that this book ended up being yet another example of Luke being a complete failure as if that horse hasn't been beaten into a thin, bloody paste by now. I know one thing though, "strict, by-the-book authoritarian" is definitely the first thing that comes to mind when I think Luke Skywalker, yes siree.

I don't get why THIS would be the "fatal flaw" they chose for Jedi Master Luke, rather than something like being indecisive due to a fear of making mistakes with no guidance, or trying not to show Ben special attention over his other students. They keep shoving the little brat into every post-ROTJ book so that he can cameo as an innocent little cinnamon roll that his family failed to love properly.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I wouldn't worry too much about all of this. This cheap and shallow storytelling might appeal to a certain audience in 2022, but it won't always be like this. These stories will not age well. They are not timeless, and they will be looked upon with disdain if not disgust in the future. There has already been a significant course correction by Disney LFL in many ways, and in any case, an Expanded Universe novel is only some ancillary material at the end of the day, and is very easily even retconned, as we have seen with other comics and novels. To me it's just amusing at this point.

PendragonM likes this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes… we shouldn’t confuse badly conceived and badly written material, with a broader strategy as to how to portray Luke or the Jedi. Luke’s legacy will always be his adventures in the OT, and the trails and tribulations of his parents in the PT. The ST, and the ancillary material, is as irrelevant to the Lucas era as the Ewok movies were to the OT. That’s the thing I’ve learnt over the last couple of years… especially with the advent of the TV series.

PendragonM likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Luke shows plenty of compassion in the book. There's a strong implication that he's trying to adhere to "PT non-attachment values" - but it's also clear that he's very little like Mace, with plenty of compassion even for his enemies.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Having not read the book, I’d still wager it’s likely simply a confluence/conflict of LFL’s desire to *try* explaining why they see Ben Solo in a way that he simply *isn’t* on the movies, the sometimes misplaced desire to honor Lucas by rigidly enforcing the idea of dogmatic Jedi, and the simple struggle of making that idea work when it’s most easily used as a flawed teaching but doesn’t really fit with Luke either.

LFL probably wants to establish Luke trying to be an orthodox Jedi and that causing friction which ticked off Ben, but doesn’t really yet have the stomach for a larger scale and continuous take on the issue and dealing with its issues - Is the non-attachment idea a virtue or a vice? Do we even want Luke capable of being non-attached? etc.

If I had to guess, while there’s likely a general agreement on the rough idea, everyone has the same reaction when they actually try to develop it, similar to how they want to treat Han and Leia as parents - “I know we agreed that Ben should feel neglected, but my instinct to write Han as a loving stay at home dad was too great to overcome, so I decided to suggest that and then just say he’s gone for only this adventure”/“I know we agreed that Luke should want to be an orthodox Jedi as the reason ben goes bad, but frankly I don’t know whether that’s because the teaching is wrong or he is, and my instinct was to write him as a heroic friend to Lando, so I just had him leave Ben behind on this story.”

As a concept, I don’t know if it’s quite profitable enough or creatively engaging enough to flood the franchise with examples of it, but I don’t think LFL is self-critical enough to really deal with that issue yet either. It’s why I think they sent Grogu away from Luke - even as much as they want to either honor Lucas with emotionally cold Jedi or explain Ben’s fall, no one really wants to write a long story about a Luke trying to be emotionally cold, and no one wants to inflict that on Grogu.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    If they had more confidence, courage, and bit more creative insight, they could have made Luke the 'orthodox' Jedi, who's trying to pass on what he learned to a new generation, because the new generation sees him that way and perhaps they're fighting that urge to just remake the past. They see the galaxy in a new way, a post Old Republic and Empire way, maybe almost in a Kylo-ish, no Jedi, No Sith. No empire kind a way. And that creates some drama and conflict with the older Gen who grew up in the Empire, and that's their entire POV.

So you have Luke who's steadfast and determined to create this Jedi Order that he sees is needed, but maybe it's no longer exactly needed for the new age they're now living in. And you could have some of those ideals change, maybe less dogma, less taking kids from a young age, less rigidity to having attachments, the coldness, whatever, while some others are still factored in.

And I don't even think that old v new, orthodox v new age, should lead to Ben being a dark sider. Just that when the older generation hands them the baton, it really is up to them to figure out what it all means and how it's going to work...for them.

And that could have naturally worked with RJ's deconstructionist desires, while still holding to a galactic sandbox, or 'ruining' characters or changing them so much they're hardly recognizable.

And i circle back to the old idea that maybe Ben shouldn't have even been a force user or dark sider at all. Maybe the drama is that Luke and his family expect him to be their heir and he simply wants nothing to do with it. Maybe he wants to follow in mom's footsteps and be political. He rejects his Jedi destiny in the same way Luke rejects the dark side. And because there's no heir apparent, there's no new Jedi Order, yet, when the dark side stuff rises once more, Luke is forced to go looking for someone new. Enter the ST

Darth PJ and PendragonM like this.
  10. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I would not have enjoyed taking Luke’s dismissal of the Jedi further in that way. Cant we have Star Wars where Jedi dont form attachments and train students from a young age again without it having to be deconstructed or criticized. That world building from the prequels was showing the rules the Jedi had created over thousands of years to keep things running, their rules were a necessary result of a world where one in a million people can move objects and kill with their minds

https://web.archive.org/web/20120601143547/http://www.lardbiscuit.com/lard/shroud1.html

This old article on Attack of the Clones goes into the purpose of it

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't have a reason to doubt any of that. I am not going to read this book anytime soon anyway, since it involves a bunch of stories that are essentially non-canon in my mind. Be as that may, I will say that Luke's effort to disassociate and be at a distance with his nephew, is problematic regardless of his other actions/ideals in the book.
    Why would Luke be emotionally cold with Grogu? There is nothing to support that.
    In fact, all the interactions we have seen between them show a very warm and caring Luke.

"Come here little one, don't be afraid". He even carries him on his shoulder in the elevator.

Luke was patient, willing, and caring enough to train Grogu. The reason Luke returned Grogu to Din Djarin is because Grogu was too attached to the Mandalorian.
    And because he wanted to give Grogu the option. Luke did absolutely nothing wrong.

And how does portraying someone as emotionally cold honor Lucas? When did Lucas ever show us any Jedi other than Mace Windu being emotionally cold?

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I dont think Mace is cold as some fans think of him. He has been shown to have plenty of emotions. And Luke is all about his emotions, but also tries to be like the Jedi were.

Darth PJ and Watcherwithin like this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Well he's not a robot, yes, but I was thinking of a spectrum, and he is definitely less compassionate than most (if not all) other Jedi
    But that's my point. The Jedi were never cold. So, what does that even mean?

14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Nope. All stories have to feature some Jedi falling to the dark side cuz of their teachings.

I look forward to the time when the stories can focus on Jedi, just being Jedi, and the bad dark sider aren't former jedi gone wrong because of the hero.

Unfortunately that might be never.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    My reason for disliking it is because I’ve seen the alternative thanks to Legends, and partially from what’s happening with the Mandalorians - the Jedi are more interesting when they can be more diverse in personality, backstory, and allowed to be the more romantic figures some of them always inevitably end up sliding into when the creators decides they want to. The New Jedi Order was always more interesting than the Old Jedi Order because they were always more than largely the same archetype copied ad nauseam.

I feel like the Mandalorians are gradually transitioning to a position where they can challenge the Jedi in terms of the franchise focus simply because they’re now no longer required to come from an “assembly line” process, and because Star Wars is a Romantic (as in the philosophy), operatic saga - even people trying to create “orthodox” Jedi are always slipping somewhere because of that nature of the beast, which is why there’s always so much discussion about whether or not Lucas ever meant to deconstruct the “No attachements” policy, or even if his intent actually matters compared to what’s on screen.

Because this is ultimately a story where we don't *need* Jedi to be able to form romantic (as in love) attachments or have unique backstories… but every major Jedi that’s focused on generally ends up having attachments of some kind or some unique background element, because this isn’t Star Trek and the Jedi aren’t parallels to the Vulcans.

And all of that’s without getting into really strong real world arguments from philosophy and religion against “no attachments” as a dogma, which is till think often get underestimated by defenders of the fictional policy.
    In this specific case, I’m saying that we’re possibly looking at a “cold” Luke because of Ben Solo.

…Though it might be more accurate to say “because this is a Romantic franchise,” and the temptation to portray formal, no-attachements-style bonds between characters as leading to a falling out or as handy fodder for trying to make a character’s fall sympathetic is too great.

Just look at how quickly a Ben Solo fan was to immediately start trying to blame Luke for not being loving enough towards Ben - then remember that’s often encouraged by LFL themselves, even if they can’t seem to commit to it.

It ties back to those real world arguments against such “no attachments” dogma, but further exacerbated and aggravated by the fact this is a fictional universe that’s firmly on the Romantic side of the Romantic Vs Enlightenment scale.

The Mandalorian managing to make Luke come off as Enlightened enough to offer Grogu a choice is a good sign of knowing how to handle the decision to make Luke doctrinal and conventional as a Jedi - but the natural consequence is Grogu leaving him because the more Romantic story of a father and son relationship is more creatively inspiring and marketable than Grogu becoming a doctrinal, conventional Jedi… and is likely a big part of the reason why even LFL themselves don’t seem to interested in telling stories of Jedi Luke after ROTJ, and why the second they introduce Ben Solo into the equation, they start feeding the idea the no attachements clause causes issues again.

Def Trooper likes this.
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Well so far we have gotten:

Darth Maul going to the dark side because he was literally raised for that purpose
    Dooku going to the dark side because of his personality and Palpatine's manipulation, against the Jedi teachings
    Anakin going to the dark side because of his unhealthy obsession with Padme and Palpatine's manipulation, against the Jedi teachings

As you said, this may never happen. Or it might take a very long time.
    Disney LFL feels compelled to whitewash all the darksiders and make them feel relatable.
    At least Lucas redeemed people while telling us at the same time that they are an example of what we should NOT do.
    Anakin's entire arc is about what can happen to a person if they let themselves give in to fear, anger and hate.
    The dark siders and the Sith in the Disney era are never responsible for their atrocities, they are always the victims.
    I am almost expecting a novel or a prequel show that whitewashes Palpatine too eventually.

wobbits, Def Trooper and PendragonM like this.
  17. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Hey, you must have seen the charming Kylo fan post on Tumblr about how Han and Leia sent Kylo off to fundamentalist preacher camp when they sent him to Luke (I'm fairly sure it was the same fan who said that Han reminded them of someone dragging Kylo to conversion therapy when he tried to talk him down in TFA). There is a vocal strain of Kylo fan that blames the OT 3 for everything even now.

Def Trooper likes this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Those were 25 years ago lol. I'm talking now. I think DLF is just gonna copy Anakin's fall for most dark sider stories.

PendragonM likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As a master, I see Luke as being Too Nice (his character has always been that of a nice farm boy) too loose, too informal, too forgiving (stemming from Vader's redemption), and that leading to obvious problems like a lack of discipline, requiring him to become a little stricter, striking a balance between the informal fly casual training he received and the more structured training in the prequels. Baby making is okay, because they need more Jedi, but duty still comes first, even if that requires some hard decisions.

I don't see Luke being too controlling. I think it's best demonstrated in ESB when he lets Yoda have the flashlight. Oh, R2, let him have it. Let the baby have its bottle. This would be his early approach to students. I don't think discipline would come naturally to Luke, it's not inherent in his character. After some bad outcomes, he'd learn the value of disciplining his students. The next part of Luke's journey as a man is basically learning to be a positive archetypal Father: guiding, protecting, and strong. Loving, but also firm, tough love when it's needed. The discipline is to help his students grow up, instead of becoming 30 year old children like Kylo.

Luke teaching his early students in the PT style doesn't make much sense since he never learned that way himself. How can he teach in a way he never learned? Why would he even try? If anything, I think it's pretty obvious early master Luke would be the opposite of the prequel Jedi.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  20. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I need that thank you GIF here. Yes, how would Luke even know to teach in that way - even if Yoda told him these things or he found them out, he would have discarded those teachings since that's not how he learned. It's like watching Kylo and Rey (and now Luke) fight like the PT Jedi when that isn't how he fought!

ChildOfWinds and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  21. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Luke learned the same basic Jedi lessons as all the original Jedi from Obi-Wan and Yoda, and as his mission was to pass on what he had learned and restart the Jedi he is consistently shown as being interested in learning more Jedi history so he can properly fulfil his duty. obviously he wasn’t trained since he was a kid, but in George Lucas’s treatments his new students were trained from youth by him, and he would have to learn how to be a teacher but just because he didn’t have that experience doesn’t mean he wouldn’t or couldn’t train students.

obviously he wouldn’t be a controlling or a strict guy, that’s not his personality. But he would not be the opposite of the Jedi, he is a Jedi

Lucas never saw the story as being about Luke reforming the Jedi to be more palatable to audiences who disagree with them, he even calls the Jedi the most moral people in the universe. But it’s not about whether the Jedi are right or wrong, In real life I wouldn’t support governing religious orders like the Jedi , and if I lived in the Star Wars id join a revolution against the Republic, but I think the Jedi are a really interesting organization in their setting and when writers try to reform them it’s just boring, this franchise is about adventure stories

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I’d argue that kind for warmth, compassion, and maybe even too much leniency actually pops up in a bunch of stuff, but is opposed by LFL’s desire to “honor” Lucas by being dogmatic when actually confronted on the issue, and by how they want to try using the “no attachments” idea to play into the idea of Poor Widdle Benny Boy being neglected and emotionally deprived without really analyzing how that looks.

Like, we’ve got a Luke who is simultaneously going to enjoy delighting Grogu by lifting all the frogs in the area after catching Grogu trying to get a snack, who offers Grogu a way out of the Jedi so the audience can see him be with his dad, and who can’t bring himself to apparently kill hellspawn in the shape of Ben Solo, but is also apparently unthinkable as a father figure in LFL’s eyes (whether literally or figuratively), rigidly adhering to the dogma so that LFL can make that statement even when he’s already trained Grogu enough to make him dangerous, and who we’re supposed to apparently blame for Ben feeling sorry for himself.

…Luke’s just not a character cut out to have a “rigid dogma” approach tied to his time as a Jedi Master, and he’s thus especially not cut out to try a hypocritical version of that which is supposed to fail with Ben.

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Pass on what you've learned isn't just recopy the PT. The Jedi failed for a reason, and Luke learns more than his mentors did (HA, a TLJ theme that actually works, look at that). So obviously Luke's teachings would differ than the teachings of the PT era, which he really never experienced in full.

And even Yoda and Obi-wan are a little different than their PT selves. Yoda in the PT is all about the cosmic force, the future, the big picture, while Yoda in the OT is in the present with the living Force. And this is one of his major lessons to Luke. Stop worrying about the future, get your mind off the horizon. Which is something QGJ believed but was ignored by the PT council. Yoda is already teaching Luke new things.

I could definitely see Luke going back to research the PT era after ROTj, trying to learn more about the Force, the Jedi, and his father. In fact, that's sort of how I view the entire PT movies. Luke is looking through the archives and finding out what really happened with his father, or maybe it's the story his Ghost Dad is telling him.

So I see opportunity for changes, but not outright ditching the last 10,000 years of Jedi-ness. Just remove the PT-hubris, their focus on the future and bigger picture, and get in touch with the smaller daily stuff. That along with the important realization that dark side is not necessarily a forever destiny. That we always have a choice. And see where that goes.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Arguably, there’s *two* things working against trying to make Luke a champion of orthodox Jedi-hood:

1 - Dynamism and progress as a feature of Star Wars’s “main story” in the Saga.

This is arguably both the biggest dramatic issue with having Luke being a retrograde Jedi, and the most ironic given how TLJ tried to present itself. Lucas retroactively wound up establishing Luke as a highly unorthodox Jedi in his training, his personal ethos and perspective, and even in his “official dubbing” as a Jedi (by Darth Freakin’ Sidious of all people). He’d also incorporated a clash between Romanticism and Enlightenment as part of the cause of Anakin’s vulnerability to the dark side… but retroactively, whether intentional or not, the resolution to the spiritual conflict in ROTJ wound up being the Romantic one of a father loving his son too much to remain evil.

And on top of that… TLJ is ostensibly extremely pro-growth and ambiguously pro-reform, which makes insisting that a guy who has no reason to be dogmatic be dogmatic very ridiculous. If Lukeks lesson is supposed to be “we are what they grow beyond”… then he should already, even if accidentally, “grown beyond” the Old Jedi… and thus his Jedi Order really shouldn’t look that much like the Old Jedi.

2 - Star Wars being an “adventure story”… and orthodox Jedis naturally losing some “adventurousness.”

Pretty simple; Luke was designed as a swashbuckling classic hero with an operatic story, so he, and the Jedi of anyone who’s idea of a Jedi is formed primarily by him, remains a romantic, swashbuckling classic hero. LFL and others clearly want to treat the PT Jedi as Lucas’s “final draft” of what a Jedi is forever…but every major Jedi protagonist ends up inevitably getting a bit more romantic, swashbuckling, and classic hero as time goes on, because that’s what Star Wars’s type of story encourages.

Kanan eventually inevitably gets a romance with Hera. Obi-Wan eventually inevitably has an ex-girlfriend revealed. Quinlan Vos, in two continuities, inevitably gets a major romantic interest. And even LFL couldn’t really conceive of Rey without slapping some kind of romance on her, even if their choice was abhorrent.

Part of LFL’s problem is that they themselves cast doubt on their ability to maintain “proper” Jedi dogma indefinitely… and that their distant publishing history from before and after the Prequels shows they *can*, in fact, maintain an attachment-friendly Jedi Order without losing anything valuable, and mostly just gaining more interest and more flexible characters.

25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Since when did Luke not receive the same lessons as the PT Jedi did?
    He was literally trained by Yoda and Kenobi in the exact same manner.
    They even gave him lessons about attachments. Sheesh.

Yoda literally gave the same lessons to Anakin.

Watcherwithin likes this.