main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    ^That's a bit excessive. 50 backflips is more than enough.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What’s with everyone wanting Luke to have a secret love child??

Luke took after Obi Wan. He’s a childless Master.

Just like Rey will be.

Sarge likes this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Luke certainly didn’t seem like much of a “ Jedi Master” in the ST.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Creative Philosophy Answer:

Because it's adventurous escapism, and in that genre, people like happy endings, including ... fruitful personal relationships.

Precedent And Expectation Answer:

Because it was a family storyline where the "family" part elevated the story into something special, and many fans know that Luke having a family was a successful formula in the past form Legends, which reached that inevitable conclusion as a franchise before Lucas installed the "attachment is forbidden" idea into AOTC.

A lot of it is just going to be tied to the argument I'm sure we've both seen about what philosophical value (the in-universe "Watsonian" reasoning) the "No Attachments" rule has, so you can insert some classic Protestant vs Catholic debates about clerical celibacy here.:p

But it's really the argument about dramatic value (the out-of-universe "Doylist" perspective) that take smore precedence here, I think, where the scales are weighted more heavily in favor of letting Jedi having attachments; in this perspective, you're basically weighing lore that's already been contradicted a lot + the dramatic value of forbidden love against both the creative and financial avenues of "spinoff babies" + all the dramatic weight romances can bring.

There's basically just a higher ceiling in terms of possibilities in a lore set-up where Jedi, and Luke in particular, can get hitched and have kids, and the philosophical impetus behind the lower ceiling of "no attachments" is both dubious in the real world and constantly ignored in the fictional one whenever a creator decides to (like with Kanan and Hera.)

5. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why not? What's wrong with Luke have a kid?

Not even Obi-Wan has to be childless.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This is one of the things I will never forgive Star Wars about, regardless of who is the storyteller and whether it's Lucas or anyone else.
    I will take the opportunity with what you mentioned and address something that I want, but not directed at you.

Space is SO ******* EMPTY. The distances between stars are light years, the distances between star clusters are VAST and the empty space within a galaxy is 99.9999% of its volume if not a lot more. You could launch a spaceship in any random direction from Earth and it would most probably fly straight through the entire galaxy and eventually after millions of years exit the galaxy without colliding with anything at all.

The idea that a hyperspace route is something extremely difficult to find, towards any destination of the galaxy, is quite honestly laughable with a basic understanding of Astronomy. An easy excuse for why someone was difficult to track or find in the GFFA. Which could have easily been avoided by just realizing how vast and huge a galaxy is , and just leave it at "it's really ******* hard to find where they went" without using Hyperspace routes and whatnot.

And before anyone says that Physics in Star Wars doesn't work the same way, well, yeah, it actually kinda does for most of the things. Sure, there is sound in space and many other tiny details that make cinema more exciting, but if Luke or Han or Anakin are looking towards the sky and see the same or similar density of stars as we do, guess. They have a similarly structured galaxy, with similar density of stars and vacuums. Oh yeah, and there is a map of it. It is a spiral galaxy, almost identical to our own. So please, do not respond to me with this non existent justification.

There is a reason why everyone thought after TFA that Luke wants to be found. The reason is that it is the only thing that makes sense after the plot of that movie, even if it is not stated in the movie. And I won't even go to Mark Hamill's expression at the end of TFA, which is one of the best ST scenes in my opinion. If he had not wanted to be found, he would have gone to a planet that no one knows, without communicating to anyone about it, without a map existing, and most certainly NOT on an island on a planet that has an ancient Jedi temple. I mean, come on.

Luke is a New Jedi. He doesn't need to obey the Old Republic Jedi rules. He can make a family if he wishes to. Therefore, having a kid makes perfect sense, and is quite interesting as a thought. He doesn't NEED to, but it is certainly a very appealing thought. Also, there is absolutely no reason for Luke to want to be like Obi-Wan. He hang out with Obi-Wan for a few weeks. He learned the basic Jedi lessons, but it's not like Obi-Wan was his life long mentor. If anything, he spent a lot more time with Leia and Han. I have no comment about Rey. I doubt we will see stories with her in the near future. Or ever.

7. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    @DarthFixxxer that’s fair but when it comes to fantasy I’m far more concerned with the rules being consistent than being realistic.

Sarge and DarthFixxxer like this.
  8. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    We don't even know how hyperspace works in this galaxy anymore. Ever since RJ confirmed that you can collide with stuff in real space even if you're in hyperspace, there's all kinds of unknowns now. For instance, why would the Empire dump their trash into deep space if they are now running the risk of other Destroyers colliding with it while traveling in hyperspace?

From the dialogue that Han has in ANH, I always assumed that the only thing that could effect ships travelling through hyperspace were large objects with massive gravitational pulls like a star or a black hole. Which is also why we have warships (Interdictor-class Star Destroyer) that have enough power to mimic gravitational fields to pull ships out of hyperspace. I guess I was dumb enough to assume that hyperspace allowed faster-than-light travel because scientists in Star Wars had found out how to put ships into an alternate dimension where only massive gravity wells from the Star Wars dimension effected ships. Now that is clearly not the case.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Glad to finally see Luke Skywalker appear in Disney's Star Wars. The latest episode of The Mandalorian is no cloned Luke. That's how we last saw Luke and would expect him to act to someone in distrest - not what we saw in TLJ.

Glad Favreau and Filoni are working on cleaning it up.

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    edit

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, to go ahead and head this off...

REMEMBER WHAT SPOILER TAGS ARE, PEOPLE!

12. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    For example:
    Example

It's easy for people to blunder into spoilers if it's an untagged spoiler outside of the show's threads.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  13. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    I hate this that Luke calls Jedis failures and blames them for his father's downfall. It was hypocrisy at worst.
    Because Luke is kinda like a Shaolin Monk that shouldn't marry in his whole life. That's a sacrifice of being a Jedi.(Since love is a double edge sword for the Jedis that can destroy them. Similar to the way that Anakin's love for Padme turned him into Darth Vader.)

devilinthedetails likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’m kind of thinking the 2 F’s are now out to ‘redeem’ Luke’s character...

TCF edit: added spoiler tags.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
  15. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i loved seeing this Luke of rhe mandolrian as well as the ST Luke.. he just looked like his father in the hallway.. in time he will learn to project himself across the universe.. this bridged the OT and the ST Luke for me, one and the same, calm and angry, maybe something happens with Grogu that explains further what happens with Ben
    and we all know what Grogus blood is used for.. genius

TCF edit: spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
  16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All right people. Let's leave this discussion be for a couple of days. We don't want people who are behind on their viewing spoiled. I'm locking this, and will open it up again on Monday. Just to give people a chance to catch up.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All right, I think that's long enough. :)

18. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    So how long would it take for Luke to clear Snoke's guards in the throne room :p

19. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Mando-Luke? About 5 seconds. TLJ-Luke? Five hours for whinging. Another five for his own pity party etc. They die of old age because that guy does...very little.

20. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    One minute and 9 seconds. Literally half of the time it took Kylo Ren and Rey to beat Snoke's guards.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Well, he was 28 in the Mandalorian, the prime of his life.

He was just about 55 in TLJ.
    So....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  22. Alliyah Skywalker

Dec 18, 2017
    How old was Dooku when he demolished Obi Wan and Anakin and held his own against Yoda? 85? Mid-50s isn't even that old today, let alone in the GFFA.

23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Well yes.

And Snoke was stationed on a mobile ship purposely. Probably to avoid a Skywalker confrontation.

There’s a reason they kept trying to find his location first.

But only Kylo or someone else in the First Order would have gotten close enough to Snoke to finish him off.

24. Alliyah Skywalker

Dec 18, 2017
    I thought you made a point about 55 years old meaning that obviously Luke would be slow and lame and was only arguing against that. If you didn’t mean it like that, I misunderstood.

I also thought the question pertained to how fast someone could clear out the non-force-sensitive red mooks, not Snoke himself.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  25. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    I've rewatched TLJ, a film I was "okay" with, but like most of us have some major issues with; one being the portrayal of Luke. However, after rewatching it I realized my issues are not with the whole character arc, it's the fact that once Luke has reconnected with the force he just dies. Did RJ really see it as important for the character to die? I wouldn't mind Luke dying in TROS but dieing at the end of the film just seemed pointless, it offered nothing.

RJ got greedy in TLJ and robbed us of seeing the Luke we all wanted to see, keeping him alive and having him be killed by Ren or Palps would have given more to the story.