main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    So Pablo Hidalgo has a sly dig at the positive fan reactions to the Luke scene, classy guy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jimtalkbox likes this.
  2. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Ironic since he was one of the LFL people complaining about "toxic fans" after TLJ.

I will say, I can understand why fans and people at Lucasfilm are divided over Luke. A good chunk of people really enjoyed TLJ and how Luke's story played out but there are also a large number of people who just want to see what we got in The Mandalorian. I assume that PH is one of the former, not that it excuses his tweet.

Sithblade11 likes this.
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Personally, I loved how Luke was portrayed in the sequels.
    For me, it brought a level of humility, and humbleness to him. I know I would not have liked if they made Luke out to be a hero's hero, or given him a superhero type persona and role. I know some fans wanted that, but it wasn't in Luke's character to be that. Luke was never the legend to stand above the galaxy and defend it from all that is evil. He was never that white knight, beacon of hope that others may have aspired to be, even if the people across the galaxy saw him as such. And when he tried to be, he never felt he could live up to it. I think Luke's characterization in TLJ was spot on for his evolution from ROTJ. Luke struggled with accepting and learning from failure through the OT. Now, when we see it again in his failure with a new Jedi order, then add to it when his failure became personal (Ben Solo), it nearly ruined him.

All that said, I want to see stories that explore how he got there more than the few minutes of exposition we got in TLJ.

Grey Matter likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Any time someone puts out themselves as crying like a baby on social media for something that’s not a real world atrocity (death of a love one, tragic death of someone famous, innocent children killed, news of someone raped, etc.) those people are just leaving themselves open for public ridicule. (One of the few instances I victim blame).

how many times how we collectively made fun of Kevin Smith for crying over the most trivial things on comics and Star Wars.

remember the “just leave Brittany alone!” guy?
    and that was for a celebrity going through an alleged crisis.

This is for a fictional character, not even dying, but just being a badass.

Of course it’s open season for making fun of that guy!!

Now....should a Pablo have done it? Even if their views are there own and not speaking for the company? I would say no.

But Pablo has in the past used his Twitter to point out things that are obviously company related to the fanbase.

If I were him, I’d issue an apology. Or put in his heading that his tweets are his own and don’t reflect the whole company.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    There are all kinds of reasons why one might be emotional during a scene of a TV show or film - including a joyful, transcendent or sublime scene, and not just a sad one. You don't know where people's emotions derive from. For example, when I first read the Mines of Moria chapter of the Lord of the Rings, it coincided with a very close loved one dying. When I saw that scene in the film - namely when they first enter the Chamber of Mazarbul - I choked up due to that association. Did I share that with the world? No, as YouTube reactions weren't a thing then. But if someone else wishes to authentically share their emotions about these things with others, I don't think they should expect (nevermind deserve) ridicule. It's this kind of mean-spiritedness that I hope we leave behind in the future. The last four years have been way too full of that nonsense.

2Cleva, Shadao, wobbits and 9 others like this.
  6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I don’t think they deserve it.

Should they expect it??? Oh, heck ya.

7. Sithblade11

Oct 12, 2013
    Joe/Jane Public making comments is fair enough, but a employee of a company who's just put out a "product" which then received overwhelming praise is a peculiar thing to do.

It just comes across as Crait saltiness that some other "products" they released didn't receive as good a reaction.

I'm sure the Star Wars show has been happy to include fan reactions to trailer releases over the years.

2Cleva, wobbits, Glitterstimm and 4 others like this.
  8. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

As someone who isn't a big fan of Luke from TLJ, I really dislike that they have stripped him of any real legacy. His students are all dead. His triumph over the Emperor's temptations is all but nullified with Palpatine's return. He has abandoned his friends and family and he tried to kill his nephew. What we're left with is an old man whose accomplishments are largely overshadowed by his many failures. For me, there isn't much positive to like about ST Luke as everything he has achieved has been pretty much nullified. I know that there are people who really like that Luke ended up burnt out and that most of his achievements amount to nothing, but for me that's a pretty big disappointment. I'm hopeful that if Luke does end up with his own series that he will have an opportunity to achieve something that has a lasting impact in the Star Wars universe.

Who knows, maybe he could even have a student who manages to survive and carry on his legacy. Going into the ST I would have thought that person was going to be Rey but she basically didn't need anything from Luke. She was powerful in spite of him, not because he helped her. I'm hoping that Luke will actually play a positive role in Grogu's development because as it stands, Luke really doesn't seem to have a great legacy anymore.

2Cleva, Shadao, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  9. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Or maybe it’s just the hilarity of watching a grown man cry over a fictional character.

heck, I laughed at my dad when he cried like a baby after the Cubs finally won a World Series.

kacpero40 and Sithblade11 like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I suppose that's the natural reaction of the empathy-deprived homo sapien.

11. Sithblade11

Oct 12, 2013
    Its a good job there was no social media/ Internet when E.T came out, whole families were crying when they thought he'd died.

DannyD likes this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    ‍♂️

This is more akin to grown men crying when ET caused the bikes to fly up in the air triumphantly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
  13. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    How long will the no-spoiler embargo last on how the Luke scene came together? I'm a bit bummed about no information or context in the Gallery episode, but understand that it was done to avoid any and all possible leaks. I'd like to get some hints on whether we revisit him in the future shows and if/when Sebastian Stan will be involved.

14. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Just on a basic level, seeing Luke "as we remembered him" was a great, emotional payoff.

It wasn't flawlessly executed but it made sense in the overall Mando season 2 storyline.

mtt02263 likes this.
  15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    To each their own, but his story works for me. You bring up some good points. But I ask, what are all of Luke's great accomplishments? He destroyed the first death star, but the magnitude of it was undone in ROTJ with the second death star. I never saw it as Luke triumphing over Palps' temptations, but him triumphing over his own temptations toward the dark side and over the legacy left through his lineage. Luke wasn't the hero's hero. He didn't go to the second death star to kill Palps. Luke left the task of killing the Emperor to his friends in the Rebellion. He left it to them to be the heroes. He went to save his father, and in essence same himself from the same fate that befell his father. While an accomplishment, it was a personal accomplishment that we were privy to. Failure is a common thread through Luke's life, whether from the minor generally inconsequential failure with the remote on the Falcon, to his failures in his training on Dagobah, up to his biggest failure of letting his thoughts dwell on Leia, which led him to the edge of turning to the dark side. However, Luke managed to learn from his failures. The problems arose for Luke when he attempted to live up to the hero status. When he tried to match the legend. He stopped learning from his failures, so when he reached his ultimate failure and drew his saber while standing over his own nephew, it crushed him because he didn't see what led up to that moment as a failures, as well. Had he followed his teachings, he would have recognized the failures along the way and would have not gotten to the point of drawing his lightsaber while standing over his nephew. Much like how Anakin failed to follow the teachings laid out before him and turned to the dark side.

So again, I enjoyed the route they took with Luke, and I felt it was well within his character's character to end up as he did. However, we do need more stories about the events that eventually led to Luke to becoming what he did in the sequels.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  16. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Again, it's all a matter of perspective. I get that there is a sizeable fanbase of the ST who like the direction RJ took Luke. At the end of the day, there are likely just as many people who love the direction TLJ went as there are people who found Luke's development into an angry apathetic recluse to be disappointing. As you said, Luke is a failure who accomplished nothing of significance after blowing up the first Death Star. Luke the legend is obviously much bigger than Luke the man. For some people this is undoubtedly an awesome subversion of expectations. The actual Luke Skywalker Rey meets is a broken man who is thoroughly unpleasant and who shows nothing but contempt for his friends and family. Personally, I'm not a fan of this Luke. I also can't help but wonder if people who do like TLJ Luke truly like Luke as he was shown in the OT as they seem to be diametrically opposed to each other.

If Luke Skywalker continues to appear in stories between RTJ and TFA I can't help but wonder what Luke we'll be getting more of. It seems that some people want to see the failures that lead Luke towards his ST persona while others are hoping to see Luke accomplish something positive before his downward spiral. Personally I fall more into the latter camp. With Anakin we were given some positive achievements to offset his decent into villainy. I'd like to see something similar with Luke rather than simply watch him set up his academy, threaten to murder his nephew and stand by as all of his students are slaughtered. I suppose we'll see what happens over the next few years.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes.

EDIT: OK, I'll elaborate a bit: Luke has been my favorite fictional character for over 25 years, and I loved him in TLJ.
    And I'm getting really tired of this bull that fans who like TLJ aren't really Luke fans. Many, probably most, of us are.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m really trying to avoid posting in this thread much, but I’ll say this:

If you liked Luke in TLJ, and defend the portrayal in that film by highlighting how the Mandalorian can be interpreted into that, you’re a fan of the character.

If you didn’t like Luke in TLJ, but still feel the need to defend the character from that portrayal in the film by highlighting the Mandalorian appearance, you’re also a fan of the character.

Clearly, there’s a lot of fans of the character. Period

Now, I would add that I think that it wouldn’t have been that hard to give the more adoring Luke fans something to enjoy in TLJ, and to have him actually train Rey for her fans, and still hit every single major dramatic high point, theme, and conceptualized idea TLJ had.

And I would add the style of escapism that people look to Luke for is clearly something that goes to extremes that alienate some fans: I think comparing it to the difference between the pure fun of something like Adventures of Robin Hood (Daring! Adventure! Romance! Errol Flynn) versus something more somber and tragic like Robin And Marian (Old Age! Arrogance! Disenchantment!) is a worthwhile experiment. I mean, I ain’t attracted to watching The Last Jedi’s Luke scene anymore than I am to watching Robin and Marian again, even though their both high quality performances by the leading actors and better executed than other parts of the legend/story... because I don’t need to watch something that deflating and banal to me.

But hey! Both sides have an excuse to enjoy the same types of scene for at least a few more years, of the Mandalorian’s little surprise means anything. So why don’t we do that?

(...PS - I would totally be that jerk willing to debate that likening TLJ means you can’t be a Rey or Finn fan if I weren’t a mod, but that’s a different thing entirely.:p)

Shadao, Sarge, RetropME and 1 other person like this.
  19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Luke is at a different point in his life in TLJ. It’s a low point, but it’s where he was then. No surprise whatsoever people are enjoying his cameo in The Mandalorian more. He’s in his prime, building something. Rather than mourning what he lost.

Sarge and DarthFixxxer like this.
  20. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    ...and lamenting that which he felt responsible for causing. - the loss of his friends' only son.

21. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I didn’t mind Luke being isolated in the last Jedi but I didn’t like how it played out it could be that maybe he’s so heartbroken he can’t access the force then Rey comes and he feels hope and trains her.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    And a World War II survivor who has lost everything, might laugh with a grown man who is crying cause their pet died.

Or, we can avoid laughing with what makes other people emotional, and mind our own business without projecting our own issues to other people who are comfortable with their expression of sentiments and emotions, even if they are grown men. Apparently grown men don't have a right to feel things I guess, but if it was a grown woman or a teenager girl it would have been ok?
    If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck....

2Cleva, wobbits and Sithblade11 like this.
  23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    But we’re not taking about real life World War 2 or a real pet dying.

We’re talking about a real life man crying over a fictional character, not even the death of a fictional character, but a fictional character being a bad ass.

You can’t see the absurdity in that? It’s hilarious!

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  24. Sithblade11

Oct 12, 2013
    Why do people bother to watch films, TV shows or listen to music as it's all made up so no one should have investment in it?

This guy comes across a normal bloke not prone to over reacting to stuff having watched his other reviews.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Your emotion-meter is not a universal and global truth. I don't see anything hilarious in it.

Specifically when it comes to Star Wars Theory, I see one of the most genuine Star Wars fans out there. But then again, thankfully, my name is not Pablo Hidalgo and I am not petty. Maybe you should watch him first before finding it hilarious.

I also don't cry about fictional stuff and I roll my eyes at hyperbolic reactions by people who cry about Britney Spears for example, but I don't make fun of them publicly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    2Cleva, wobbits, Sithblade11 and 2 others like this.