main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Or until the OT cast is not with us anymore... :(

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't think we would need to wait for a long time. First of all, minor complaints about which actors would bring Luke, Leia and Han to life again will eventually be dismissed and if the show is GOOD, then it will be accepted by the majority of fans, and by new fans and viewers too. Just bring that Star Wars magic on the screen, and you'll be ready to go.

Millie Bobby Brown will be 17 in 2 weeks, and I am always amazed by that fact when I realize she was born in 2004. Her attitude, demeanor, and certainly her acting skills are already on par with any 23 year old out there, and if it was requested from her to portray Leia right after the Battle of Endor, I am sure she would be capable of doing so even in a couple of years, if not already.

Sebastian Stan would obviously be a great choice for Luke Skywalker. Outside of his resemblance to Luke in terms of looks, he also has that somber look and the vibe he brings out matches Luke Skywalker perfectly in my opinion. No work needed there.

Aiden Ehrenreich is already young Han. No work needed there. I am sorry for those who didn't like him as Han Solo, but the dude nailed it. He was Han in every aspect.

I think LFL and Disney are incredibly to have these options for the future, and if Rosario Dawson was fan cast as Ahsoka Tano, then it should be pretty easy to do this with MBB and SS, if they wanted to. And we also have Billie Lourd as an option, though I prefer MBB personally, she has that Leia Organa Solo energy from top to bottom (and looks like Carrie Fisher more than her own daughter does :p )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Star Wars has always been about pushing the technological envelope to tell stories. And if the technology wasn't there to make it. Favreau especially talks about that, and it helped lead to The Mandalorian team building "The Wall".

With all the work they've done so far - being the first TV series that stars a CGI de-aged character is the exact type of feather in the cap that Star Wars not only would love to have but arguably should have. They've been going down this road since RO.

The fact they went to CGI for Luke after facing some criticism for how Tarken/Leia looked and they already cleaned up Luke tells me they aren't shying from the technology. I think recasting the characters anytime soon is unlikely.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Zoe Con likes this.
  4. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Not sure where else to post this, saw it on Reddit. I would love a Disney+ What if... series.
    [​IMG]

Cyber Spark likes this.
  5. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    I have a ton of ideas for a Star Wars "What If" show, and they would all take place in the same timeline, like the most obvious, "What if the Republic never became the Empire?" and another, "What if Boba Fett stayed with the Clone Cadets?" I feel like if he did, and the GAR was never reformed, Boba would become an ARC Trooper. Man, Boba would make a kickass ARC Trooper.

Shamear likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    @DarthFixxxer

May be LFL should take the plunge and just go ahead and continue the recasting they started with Ehrenreich and Glover and get it over with... it's like a new pair of shoes, they feel strange at first, sometimes a little uncomfortable but eventually you get used to it. There is the bonus that everyone bar CF is available to coach the new actors on subtle mannerisms.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I doubt that Luke, Han or Leia will be recast for their OT era selves. The examples of Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover both work because Solo took place a decade prior to ANH.

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I cannot stop watching The Mandalorian Chapter 16 from 29 mins and 50 seconds onwards - and more to the point, I cannot stop tears of joy welling up when that green humming lightsaber first appears. Just that beautiful green and that hum chokes me up every time.

And as much as I love the ST and am okay with Luke's characterisation in it, Chapter 16 does leave me extremely melancholy at the thought of what if.......

What if things had been different. What if this was the Luke we got. And its such a bittersweet feeling that here I am okay with Luke's ST characterisation, but now wanting more of this Luke. Not just more cameos, but more...... more stories on screen where he is the main character.

I love that Fav and Filoni gave us Luke in The Mandalorian - and a "kick-ass" Luke at that.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    If fans got over their recast hang ups, we could have all kinds of post-ROTJ stories with Luke as a central character. It’s really a shame that this is a no go for so many. So much so that Kathleen has ruled it out.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  10. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I feel abit dirty saying this, but if we could get more Luke stuff (the Luke in The Mandalorian), I just may be okay with Sebastian Stan. I do feel wrong saying it though because I really want Hamill, but I could probably overcome this issue.

But if you can excuse me now, I must go and wash my mouth out with soap :)

TadoFett, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I know she's still the Pres. of LF but does it matter anymore if she rules it out? Seems like her vision and control is getting pushed to the side more and more (which is good).

I had no idea it was such a hang-up for so many. As an old school fan that saw all the originals in theaters and only watches the despecialzed editions, I welcome a recast - at least now that we finally got the Mark Hamill version that we all wanted to see.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This is not true. This whole upcoming slate of shows and films is just as much under Kennedy's guidance as everything else that has come since Rebels/The Force Awakens.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There is no evidence of Kennedy’s vision and control getting “pushed out.” And I’m glad. As she’s doing a great job, especially with the decision to focus Star Wars on Disney Plus, and on hiring Favreau to lead their first entry out of the gate. Great decisions by Kennedy that should ensure she maintains her leadership spot for some time to come.

14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    You really should take Mike Zeroh's podcasts with a mountain of salt...

15. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't know who that is. I'm a little more of a casual fan than most on these boards

As long as she is nowhere near the creative decisions.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Kennedy hired the creators of the Mandalorian based on their creative pitch. That was a creative decision. And she was very near to it. In fact, she made it.

If that’s not what you mean by creative decision, what do you mean? And where do you know about Kennedy’s past creative decisions? I’m a little confused about how some fans seem to have secret access to Kennedy’s decision-making process.

17. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Kennedy has been instrumental the creative decisions on every single Star Wars film and show since the Disney acquisition (and Lucasfilm's handful of upcoming non-Star Wars projects, too!).

[​IMG]

18. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    If you criticise KK for her handling of the Sequel Trilogy, you have to give some credit for bringing great creative talents, Favreau and Feige into LFL. I don't know if it was KK's or someone else's idea to promote Filoni from the animated side to live action, if it was hers then she deserves credit for that too.

Unfortunately people like young Master Zeroh have criticised KK so much that they don't want to admit she may have gotten something right now. Zeroh has lambasted The Acolyte as some sort of feminist driven propaganda, and he did this without any evidence and because it's writer was someone KK has recruited.

Criticise yes, but if it has to be fair!!!

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Regarding Luke, I am fine with the Mandalorian route for future appearances, but am also fine with Sebastian Stan being cast as Luke (Hamill has even joked that Seb is his “son”).

Regardless, I am happy they went the Mando route, and that Mark had another opportunity to play OT style Luke.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Bor Mullet, mtt02263 and Shamear like this.
  20. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I would give my vote to Sebastian Stan as Luke. CGI is okay for a one-shot cameo, but if DLF do go ahead with any kind of live action show set between Episodes 6 and 7 (and I hope they do) then an actor who is able to give an emotional performance as Luke, rather than a computer generated facsimile of Mark Hamill, is what would be required.

21. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Can I also add my vote to this? I'd prefer an actor over CGI too.

Master_Lok and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm not 100% committed to Sebastian Stan as the only guy who can do it (though I'm sure he'd do well), but overall, yeah, I would also prefer an actor if we were going to see Luke take on a more prominent role in these shows.

I think I would have initially been more receptive of The Mandalorian finale's Luke sequence if he had been able to actually engage in a full conversation; as it was, he was stiff and restricted in both his words and movement, like they couldn't push the de-aged performance as far as they originally wanted to, and he came across as more of a soundboard of sorts than a person actually speaking to Din and Grogu. He wasn't really warm in the way that Luke was in RotJ as a result.

None of this is the fault of the writing (or Hamill's voice performance), mind you, but has everything to do with the limitations of the technology they were dealing with in the moment. I'm glad The Mandalorian's scene exists (even though I still find the idea of Luke walking off with half of the show's focus to be odd), but I don't think this is quite the way to handle the character moving forward if we ever do see him again.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Who would you like to see play Luke in live action?

24. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly, I really couldn't tell you. I'd be just as fine never seeing him again (in live action, at least), to be honest. I'd probably be fine with Sebastian Stan, even though I don't think he's the only choice out there, and I'd be fine with a total unknown as well.

Mostly, though, a lot of the appeal of The Mandalorian to me is that it has been focused on new characters (with any pre-existing characters, like Boba Fett and Bo-Katan, being more tangential to the 'Skywalker Saga' rather than the driving forces of it), and I would love if this corner of the universe stayed exactly that - a corner, that is not completely drawn into the 'main' narrative with characters like Luke in major, consistent roles.

I think there might actually more merit to exploring Luke, his new Jedi order, a hypothetical meeting with Ahsoka, and perhaps even his training of Grogu in animation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's completely fair. At least with Luke off training Grogu now we can focus on a small-ish corner of the galaxy involving Mandalorians and the darksaber. I think that's why I'm happy for all of the spin off shows, because they focus on specific characters or ideas.

Master_Lok and Crod1992 like this.