main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Luke Skywalker series (rumored)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    For the Lando series, a lot of people are suggesting Billy Dee narrate and film bookends for each episode (a la that Young Indiana Jones episode with Harrison Ford, "Mystery of the Blues").

I actually think that approach could work for an "Adventures of Luke Skywalker" anthology series. Have it set before his time on Ahch-To with a lightly deaged Mark (maybe he's telling stories to his non-Kylo students). If Hamill is narrating/bookending each episode, I think audiences would be much more accepting of a recasting for Young Luke.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think the feeling was in relation to the best version of a Jedi that ever was where Luke was going because he was the one who was going to restart the Jedi Order. This increased more so after the complete story where we see that the Jedi Order itself became caught up in process and politics and overconfident in their abilities to see danger.

The power isn't raw power but a better complete overall understanding of how to use the Force to the best benefit. Lucas shows us how Qui-Gon was actually more in tune with the Will of the Force than anyone else in the Jedi Order was not only at that time but maybe for a long time if not thousands of years.

I think they now fully realize how many hundreds of millions they left on the table regarding Luke and they want to get some of that back. It's more than just the single character of course but what he represents in the wider context.

I think more than likely they'll do both at the same time. Everything they will do will be part of a retcon (which has already started) but they will do everything but excise those movies. They won't actually show the transformation into the coward, quitter, traitor and loser.

That's the thing though. It's not set in stone. If it was then even what we've seen already could not have happened. Everything is completely malleable all the way through. The way those movies worked nothing about what really happened was ever solidly established. There are so many outs that they can rework and recontextualize anything regardless of it actually matches up because none of it really did.

Once you go down the path that anything goes then the temptation to do so multiplies. Lucas had a draft of ROTJ where Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda all returned from the Netherworld of the Force into the physical world. So they can do anything they want to do with Luke in the past, rework his story from the DST then return him post the movies into active Jedi duty. He's only in his early 50's by that point.

The power of The Force is insignificant next to Disney's ability to want to make streaming series and sell merchandise from said series. If they want it so shall it be.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Live action all the way. Do it while you have an actor like Sebastian Stan that’s the right age and look.
    I think you cracked the code. Good idea. Though for some, juxtaposing the actual Mark Hamill against the recasted actor might highlight the differences even more. But still, I think you’re right. It would go a ways towards alleviating the concerns of some.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  4. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I don't actually think he was any of those things. What a good Luke series could do is give context to why he felt like he had to shut himself off from everything. If there was some form of catalyst for his actions which then highlighted that his exile was the correct action to take, it would only strengthen that version of Luke in my opinion. At the same time Luke fans would get their hero in his prime for many episodes before that.

Sarge and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This is actually one of the best ideas I have read in this thread.
    You also have my favorite Pink Floyd song as your username :)

There is a reason that no one was upset after TFA came out with the idea that Luke had shut himself off from everything and everyone. The reason was that even though I would personally have never gone with that narrative because I think it's contrived, cheap and overused and I generally have gotten tired of the idea of deconstruction (plus, I think that JJ was just afraid to play with Luke in his sandbox), this is not inherently a bad idea since there is a multitude of reasons as to why Luke would be going through this vague general phase.

The problem was what came after, and this is why I actually agree with this:
    At least 3 out of those 4 words are on spot for me on Mark Hamill in TLJ. I don't think I'd call him a traitor, but I can see that angle too.
    There is a lot more in that movie than just having shut himself off from everyone.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He's not "Mark Hamill in TLJ", he's Luke.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Noname12

Noname12 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2020
    [​IMG]

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No. It's Luke. That's an absolute, 100% indisputable fact.

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Matt Martin in one of the 11 members of the LFL story group.
    Matt Martin told me (and everyone else) that we can choose our canon.
    I refuse to acknowledge Mark Hamill's character in TLJ as Luke in my canon.
    I am not trying to be provocative, and I don't force my view on anyone else.
    But I can choose to reject this interpretation, to my huge disappointment.
    I would have rather enjoyed more stories with Luke Skywalker than not.
    I am the one who is missing out. There is no need to make me phrase things a certain way.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    In so far as we're discussing TLJ, it's Luke. If you want to disregard TLJ from your headcanon, go ahead, no one's stopping you. But then why keep bringing it up?
    Fans of TLJ, and fans of Luke in TLJ, are constantly reminded that we need to be more respectful to those who were disappointed (even if we just said that we liked the film it's apparently disrespectful according to some), but we can't even get an honest discussion in return. It's frustrating, and it frankly makes it very hard to even talk about Star Wars these days.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Honestly, I never initiated any conversation about the sequels in this part of the forum, because I simply do not care or want to talk about them or the characters within them.

I was merely responding to an already established conversation. And I understand that for some people it's quite interesting to talk about what will happen to Luke Skywalker 25 years down the line, but I also don't see how that's relevant to a spinoff series that would take part 25 years earlier.

It's quite the extreme notion to say that saying "Mark Hamill in TLJ" is disrespectful. I also personally have not been offended or felt disrespected by someone who likes TLJ and Mark Hamill in it. In fact, if anyone would criticize you harshly for liking that or was trying to tell you you can't say that, I would jump on your defense as much as I disagree.

It's nearly impossible for me to type "Luke in TLJ" without feeling angry, so I type "Mark Hamill in TLJ" which is an objective truth and doesn't disrespect anyone or anything, or at least that's what I think.

12. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I was disappointed at the time, but I came to realise that this was due to my expectations, not the depiction of Luke. Luke is still a human being, and is not infallible, even within the realms of a fictional universe in which the characters can fly between star systems and have wondrous, magical powers of telekinesis and telepathy. The fact that Luke (and the other characters) are shown to have weaknesses and fallibilities is how we relate to them. Thirty years had passed in Luke's life, a greater period of his life than the age at which we last saw him, but we werent shown any of it, so our mental image of Luke going into The Last Jedi is that of how he is preserved in Return of the Jedi when we last saw him thirty years ago too. We have nothing to measure this current version of Luke against, except the younger Luke from Return of the Jedi. It was like going straight form white to black without first passing through all the various stages of grey inbetween, so the extreme contrast scrambles our brains and we tell ourselves that this isn't Luke. But thirty years is a long time, and as a character he will presumably have had some pretty intense life experiences to shape him. People often get more cynical and resigned and less eager for a fight as they get older. Things become the problem of the generation following them. I think that is perfectly normal behaviour. But I think that fans expected a whirling dervish Luke Skywalker facing down the entire First Order with a laser sword as he so cynically says. He did do that, to an extent at the end, but he couldnt physicaly do it, he relied on the Force as his ally, and in doing so exhausted himeslf fatally, thus dying a hero. The Luke series needs to paint in those missing years to complete Luke's story. That is my take on it, for what it is worth.

DarthRamRod likes this.
  13. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Luke in TLJ is so different in even base traits from Luke in the OT that I don't think it's even reasonable to give us that story directly after. Of course there are ways that you could bring him there, but to give us that with a couple of minor flashback scenes that are in stark opposition to Luke's character the last time we saw him just doesn't work for a huge number of people. If you had a trilogy of films or a series showing all of the events bringing us to that Luke, it could work, but you have to put in the work and earn it. "Well 30 years has gone by and people change..." doesn't work for me, not with a character established in 1977 and the main hero of the franchise. To me, his portrayal reeks of post-modern nihilism and a director that wants to be seen as deep, complex, and edgy. Again, if it works for you, that's awesome, I'm glad you enjoy it and you'll always have it, but I don't think it's particularly nuanced. A broken mentor who learns again what it means to be a hero and comes back in the end, it's been done a million times before, only this time we get a hologram version of Luke, which then kills him. This minor redemption is just not nearly enough compared to just how much deconstruction came before, at least for me and many other fans.

Shamear and Noname12 like this.
  14. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    To work best, a Luke series would have to be be across a multiple number of seasons to enable the time required to build organically from ROTJ Luke to TLJ Luke.

mtt02263 likes this.
  15. mtt02263

Oct 29, 2020
    It absolutely would, we're talking about a time difference similar to TPM to ROTJ. Asking me to take a couple of flashback scenes as the justification for that change over that time period just doesn't work for me. I have to see the progression to believe it.

16. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Six seasons of eight episodes each, if we are to use the Mandalorian as a reference. Each season could be set at a rough period of about four or five years from each other maybe? Within that 48 episode arc, you could cover absolutely everything I think, and really write in an organic progression of the character.

In fact, if this happened, and Luke as a child appears in the Kenobi series, you would effectively catalogue the character's entire life from birth to death (and beyond)

A tantalising prospect imo.

17. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Then they should a trigger warning in when to stop watching for people who don't want context for the ST or being dragged to TLJ but just a different Luke. And until then actually do show him in his prime.

I loathed the character in TLJ and forever will but it would be so disappointing to get a "Luke in his prime series" dangled in front of me while knowing even that is gonna be ruined by the character turning into something I will never respect.

Disney could at least compromise and give unhappy fans some mileage with a different Luke. The timespan is large enough, give the character ten good years. The ST will still be there afterwards.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    You should never expect these shows to cover everything. mostly because Disney/lucasfilm want room for these characters other media. to fill in gaps in other forms like comics, cartoons, other shows, books ect ect. so there is no point rushing them to the finish line so there is nothing left to tell.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Disney is banking a lot on toy sales from Disney plus properties comics and books wouldn’t hurt either

Django Fett likes this.
  20. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    That's a great idea, but it has me thinking of Goodfellas - "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Jedi" [face_laugh][face_laugh]

There could be a montage with Hamill doing the voiceover.

"I was going to be busy all day. I had to drop some blasters off over at Han's to match up with some power converters that he had. Then I had to pick my sister up from the hospital and pick up some stuff for Lando that he could fly over to his customers at Cloud City" [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

ComfortablyNunb and mtt02263 like this.
  21. mtt02263

Oct 29, 2020
    Now I want a scene with Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Luke cooking dinner in jail lol. "Alright inquisitor, take me to jail."

ComfortablyNunb and Lobot's Wig like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And blue meatballs, in blue tomato sauce.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hot Toy's will be demanding another dozen versions of the original stormtrooper.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Buy the mortar trooper with just a slight paint difference. Watch it’ll sell like hot cakes

25. darthRebel

darthRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2004
    For the adventures of Luke they should mainly use a recast, but I would like to see at least one more time the CGI version of Luke. I think the show should focus on the search for and training of new jedi and make extensive use of the pivotal character of Mara Jade and the development of their relationship and just name her Mara Jade. My favorit marvel hero is Spiderman and he has Mary Jane, tarzan has Jane, Luke Skywalker has Mara Jade. And they shouldn't use Ashoka to fix the ST and Luke's fall away from the Jedi. Afterall it was his jedi training under Yoda, that led to the redemption of Anakin Skywalker and his father bringing balance tot the force. The Jedi order was not without flaws and played a role in it's own downfall, so it definitely should evolve into something better. Like many religions and spiritual orientations had to resolve outdated ideas and evolve to become better or stay relevant. Luke is the right man to do this. As I can't imagine they would ever have tried and make spiderman a by misery consumed reclusive, they shouldn't have gone this way with Luke.

Now I do have an idea for a rectification or vindication of Luke without maybe compromising people who like the ST characters.

I would try to fix it by making one movie => episode 10, 10 also being an end of a cycle and new beginnings. It would make use of CGI luke and a recast. The story starts with Luke and his young apprentice Ben Solo following a lead, but in in fact they are being intentionally and masterfully led to Snoke's Planet Exegol. Snoke made a small error of judgement because Luke seriously wipes the floor with him when they arrive, because he underestimates him. But Snoke is in fact Darth Plagueis and planned another trap for Luke along with the knight of Ren. He manages to seperate Ben from Luke with a trick and keeps Luke captive behind a force field. Snoke being the master of mind control and manipulation implants a false memory in Ben Skywalker and convinces Ben that Luke is afraid of his powers and at one point in the future Luke will try to kill him. Snoke leaves Ben alone with his apprentice darth Raveshing or something, a beautiful girl. Meanwhile he goes to Luke to do some mind torture and mind probing. Luke's mind is transported to the beyond where he is visited by his old master Yoda. In short yoda explains to him that Snoke has poisoned the boy's mind and that he plans to eventually release Luke so he will lead them to the other jedi to kill them. Snoke already infiltrated his order with a couple traitors (or one) he already infected. Yoda explains that snoke is playing mind games with him and is trying to influence his future choices by also infusing him with fear and confusion. Yoda warns him Luke must find a way to escape his mind prison and alter the future in the right direction. He shows Luke a vision of the future what will happen if he does not manage to snap out of Snoke's mind torture game. Luke finds a way out, by creating an avatar of light Rey who will create a situation that will lead to snoke's death by Ben's hand ( the last jedi). This being the reason why snoke fears the girl so much, because she will cause his death and lead to balance again. Now back on Exagol Snoke realizing this scenario will play out, releases Luke and lets him escape in the hope that Luke will lead him to the other jedi. Luke will now use his wits and put Snoke, his apprentice and the knights of Ren on a false track. He informes Grogu to assemble his jedi knights and inform the forces of the New Rep/ Leia/ Poe... to send a large army to Ahch to, after the first order and snoke have arrived there. Luke awaits snoke alone, Ben and the knights of Ren, the apprentice and the first order troops form a blokkade around the planet. Luke disables them without killing them, because some are kids and some are his former students and it is not the way.Luke shows what being a jedi is about and he then tells solo the truth about what Snoke did and Ben believes him. Snoke kills the knights of Ren , what gives him enormous power and lets him transform in some dark force demon/ dragon. He tries to kill Ben, but Luke saves Ben. Luke gets injured but doens't die. Grogu and the other jedi land and fight the demon, then anakin the grandfather speaks to ben and enters his body in spirit to kill snoke. Anakin and Ben combined bring balance again. Luke is patched up and Mara who was hidden away because she is pregant, tells luke they will have a girl. Luke says to call her REY. Final scene, Ben proud and with a big scar on his face stands at the academy being cheered by his father Han and mother Leia and Luke tells him: I foresee you becoming a great Jedi, thus creating a link to Qui Gon and an evolution of the jedi going more toward the living Force.