main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Luke Skywalker's physical appearance..what would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Dec 19, 2012.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I don't expect he'll have the same look throughout but I think Luke/Mark Hamill is probably too old and paunchy for the somewhat fitting black undertunic he wore on Dagobah and during duels with Vader.

I think the desert tunic garb below is a good look.

Also, Luke MUST sport a beard, preferably thicker than the one below. Hopefully Mark is greying by now.

[​IMG]

All you want to know about Jedi clothing:

http://www.padawansguide.com/jedi.shtml

2. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Mark, start getting on that treadmill! ;)

[​IMG]

3. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    The HUGE assumption is that the movie is set 30 or so years after ROTJ thus justifying an older Luke. If it's only a few years then you'll need an under-40 actor. With that said, I'd love to see Mark reprise his role. He IS Luke Skywalker.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Be careful, people on here get really butthurt when you bring this up. I think the overweight crowd on this site takes it very personally when it is pointed out that an actor needs to lose weight for a role, like "how dare you mention that someone is overweight!"

I agree though, he needs to reprise his role, and he needs to be in shape to look like the Luke Skywalker character.

5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Mark definitely needs to be shedding the weight.
    However I think most people would agree that a bearded benevolent Luke would be fitting. Much the same as Alec Guiness.

It's a terrible shame that the SW universe was left on the shelf for so long. The OT cast have all aged quite a bit, meaning there is going to be a huge hole in the continuity.
    I seriously don't think you can make the OT cast look 40 no matter the amount of digital trickery applied. All of that is most likely going to have to be retroactively picked up in an animation series similar to the clone wars. Unless of course they recast Luke, Leia and Han with younger actors, which would be a very unpopular decision.

DarthRelaxus and Echo-07 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What, just cuz a Jedi Master packed on a few pounds he still can't easily school his students / any antagonistic Sith that pop up? Luke Skywalker will whump them and then treat himself to some Malestare pancakes!

7. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    "Yes, feel the double dipped ice cream sundae flow through you. "

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The man friggin saved the galaxy, let him have dessert.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We don't know that the Force can lower his cholesterol, we don't want to put the savior and guardian of the universe at risk of arteriosclorosis, heart attack, and premature death. Use the Force and drop the weight Luke....

As far as his age goes, I think the makers of the movie will take this into account. Using the big 3 is very meaningful for the story and the success of episode 7; I don't think they would do anything foolish like trying to make them 40 years old.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I can't wrap my head around the "Mark Hamill is too old and too fat to believably play a Jedi Master" argument considering he's portraying a character that has magical powers.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    So if we give Rosanne Bar magical powers, she can play a Star Wars princess?

They could make it believable with a rotund Luke, but come on, this is a SW movie. Make it the best it can be and get in shape. Don't come in looking like Luke's chunky older uncle that is addicted to cheeseburgers and ice cream. I'm sure they will pay him enough, it's not like it would be "suffering for his art." It is just a treadmill.

Julius Vernon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    She can totally can play a Jedi. It's magic. That's an easy out for anything. Just cuz a guy is fat means he can't force-throw some droids through a window? The guy has magic powers!

Sitara likes this.
  13. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    Yep leave the massive weight gain to the Hutts.
    Luke is a warrior / peace keeper, his job requires him to stay in peak condition. I fully expect Mark to get himself back in shape, he's a professional actor and will be getting paid a lot of money for the role.

Julius Vernon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. DarthBot

DarthBot Jedi Master star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    Wasn't Yoda 900 years old when he died and still a bad@$$? I don't think age will have any affect on Luke if he is part of the story. Whether he is in shape or not could lend itself to the story. A Jedi acts in defense, never to attack. Very Zen Buddhist. The Buddha has a belly as well. Mark will do great. He's a terrific actor.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, if you actually think Rosanne Bar would be acceptable in SW, we don't have anywhere near the common ground to have this discussion, but thankfully, most would disagree.

Luke the heroic Jedi, not Luke the Hutt. Unless maybe that is the story! That is one way they could take it WAY into the future, and still have Hamill play in the movie! There could be a story where Luke interbred with one of the Hutts, then Hamill could come back overweight and play the son of Luke Skywalker and a female Hutt.

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I made this a few weeks ago. Instead of long bearded homeless looking, or Old Republic Jedi look, I went with something more modern/comtemporary. In RotJ, he wasn't wearing the old style robes, so I development based on his new style. I hate to say it because it's so not the right term, but maybe influenced a little bit by punk...but not really. Shaved hair on the sides, white somewhat longer hair on top.

[​IMG]

NewJedi-77, BarkingFrog and Spam Bot like this.
  17. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    And it's yet another "how can an old, fat guy play Luke Skywalker?" thread. I envision him wearing something dark and slimming.

kainee, Artoo-Dion and fishtailsam like this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They do a pretty good job of aging people in movies, I think it would be fine to make him older than he is. On the other hand, there are no special effects that will effectively allow Hamill to play a young man, they need to not even try that one, that has FAIL written all over it.

19. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm not saying Mark needs to look like an adonis, but he needs to get into Alec Guiness-like shape, and to be honest, I think he'd be the first one to admit it.
    I'm not exactly a trim guy either, but I know if I was offered a part in Ep. VI i'd be hitting the gym daily to get in peak condition.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    To play the "what if" game (really, really "what if"), if Rosanne turned out to be an amazing actress with a lot of levity that perfectly fits the role of a Jedi, but looked exactly like Rosanne Barr, then she could play a badass Jedi because you have the magic "out". I don't think Rosanne could ever do that, but that has nothing to do with her physical appearance and everything to do with her voice and acting ability. But fat or old doesn't come into play when characters can defeat their enemies by literally waving their hand.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    watch the name-calling darth boba

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This isn't about being personally offended by seeing fat people, it's about that the characters have superpowers and therefore you can get away with anything.

23. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The thought of a white bearded Luke Skywalker make me feel old, but thats where we are.

24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    BTW, I don't think Carrie Fishers recent weight loss is a coincidence.

Not only does she look fantastic, but she looks like Leia again for the first time in a long time!

25. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003