main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Luminara and Barris

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by SenatorChristina, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenatorChristina

SenatorChristina Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2002
    Didn't find it when I searched older pages-- Does anyone have any advise on how to make either of these costumes (Luminara and Barris)? Particuarly Luminara's headdress, belt-thing and gauntlets. Suggestions for materials for the outfits and/or patterns would be nice, too. Thanks!

Unlocking and upping for a query

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You might want to contact ObiWannabe of Rebel Legion she did both for DragonCon 2002 (she was the Luminara that went down on stage during the MotF Masquerade)

3. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Hey, my girlfriend wore a Luminara Unduli that I made for her for Halloween. You can see it here:

www.geocities.com/ugnaught7/jedi.jpg

If you like it, I can tell you more. The headdress was the hardest part for me to figure out. It still leaves a bit to be desired. The belt thing and the wristbands on the real costume are some sort of sewed leather of some kind, and I couldn't figure out how to make it, so I made some things that look almost just like it, but are made of different stuff. The decorative part on the dress is some iron-ons I made in Illustrator and Photoshop. I couldn't find any close-ups of the design, except for about 7 inches of it from one of the Lucas Selects pictures. The rest of it was sort of taken from the action figure. If I ever find a better picture of it, I'll probably make a new one. The wristbands are plastic instead of leather, but it's got the texture of leather. The robe was made from a Simplicity pattern and turned out very nice. I can go into more detail, unless you think the costume sucks. lol.

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
  5. SenatorChristina

Oct 12, 2002
    Villie- those were both very nice costumes :) I'd love to know what you did...esp with that headdress. What did you make the gauntlets and that belt thing out of too---it looks really good

6. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I have done the Luminara headpiece as well, but I have not been able to post pics in this forum yet. I can email/pm the pic if you would like to see it. Once I figured it out, it was very easy, but it took 3 weeks of trial & error before I finally got it! There is a 3-part trim which runs around both the "skullcap" and the bottom of the headpiece, I used fabric glue to attach the trim to my headpiece.
    If you want to see the pic, just pm me.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm quite sure that if you look in the FAQ for this forum, youl will find the thread that does exist about Luminara and Barris.

8. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Ok, here goes. lol :)

--The Robe:
    I used Simplicity pattern #9533 with a few modifications. I can't remember which view it was, but it's the one with the sleeves. I think view A. But anyhow, I changed it by not using the little shoulder decorations, straightening out the bottom edge of the back of the robe (you'll see what I mean), and adding a hood to it (I used to one from Simplicity pattern #9887, left over from my Plo Koon costume). This pattern is VERY close to what the actual costume looks like, but not exactly. The real costume has "poofy" sleeves, but they're a slightly different shape. But it's very close. You could probably change it a bit to get it to look exactly right with a bit of converting, but I decided it was close enough. The fabric I used was a black crushed panne. It looks dead on to the costume (I couldn't decide if her robe looked black or marroon, but as it turns out, this fabric looks black in flourescent lights and maroon in incandescent lights. lol)

--The wristbands:
    The real costume looks to be some leather things laced together on the inside of the arm. I didn't know how to do that, so I made a hard plastic version. They're 2 plastic cups with the bottom removed and a 1-inch wide strip cut out of one side so you can get your arm into it, sliding ur thumb through the slit. One of the old Lucas Selects pictures was of her wristbands and part of the dress belt thing. Look at that for a bit of detail. To make the trim, I bought strips of styrene plastic from the hobby store and a pair of scissors that cut in a "bumpy" shape from a craft store. I cut the styrene with the scissors and superglued it onto the edges of the cups. For the raised designs, I bought sheets of the same kind of styrene plastic (1 mm thick), and cut it into the shapes and glued them on. Each arm has 1 red heart-looking shape and 1 sort of gold V-shape sorta. Look at the action figure to see what I'm talking about. I then painted them brown and black, then dry brushed the red-orange and gold colors on it, then dry brushed the whole thing with light brown and gave it a black wash to dirty it up.

--The Belt:
    I have NO idea how the original was made. It looks like raised leather or something. So instead, I made a graphic on the computer (in Illustrator and Photoshop if you're curious) and printed it out on dark fabric iron-on transfer paper. I cut the piece of fabric out of black denim (8" by 33" not including the extra inch for finishing the edges), then ironed them to the "wrong" side of the denim (the closeup in the Selects picture had the same sort of texture, so that's why I did that). Sewed to the top of the denim is a leather strip that folds back over the front once the top is folded under a belt. Sorry if that doesn't make sense. lol. But the big medallion thing was a 7.5" plastic salad plate with little pieces of plastic glued to it and the spaces filled in with epoxy putty and spray painted bronze. It might be too big, but I don't care. lol.

--The Headdress:
    This I couldn't figure out. It's still not quite right but it's got the right general shape. It's basically a rectangle that is tied around the head like a bandana, with another shape that looks like 2 trapezoids on top of each other, sewn at the temples of the bandana, then with a narrow football-shaped piece of foam rubber with a wire stuck through it to keep its shape. It's very strange, and all I can tell you is trial and error are your friends here. I made I think 4 different ones before I made the one you see in the pic. Maleficant, how did you make your's?

--The rest:
    So the rest is just a black turtle neck shirt, a black skirt, and brown riding boots. The makeup we used was Ben Nye Creme colors, specifically Desert Tan and Purple. Oh, and my little necklace was made from a big button, a small piece of plastic, the shield from the Fantastic Four Sub-Mariner figure, and 5 bass fishing weights, all painted silver (except the weights). Fun stuff, no? :)

9. SenatorChristina

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm relativley new to the boards and I know nothing of pm'ing. However-- if you could email me the info/pics or post it here (if you can get it to work now) then I would be most grateful! My e-mail is Epiph0ny@aol.com -- anyone that has advise is more than welcome to email me. I don't bite :)

10. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    ok if this link doesn't work, I will have to email the pic to you:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jdryden7/vwp?.dir=/Fan+Day+with+SWNYC+DB516+and+ECG+12-7&.src=ph&.dnm=0022.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/jdryden7/lst%3f%26.dir=/Fan%2bDay%2bwith%2bSWNYC%2bDB516%2band%2bECG%2b12-7%26.src=ph%26.view=t

I would be the "flying nun" jedi on the right side of the pic. That would be the best pic I have right now. I can take close up shots so you can see the detail after the holidays.

The reason why my luminara headpiece turned into the "flying nun" was that I had used felt for the fabric thinking it would give the headpiece better shaping, instead it made it too stiff. I have since been able to determine that the headpiece was made out of wool because of the texture in a closeup shot I say at the offical site. But the construction went like this:
    I used a polar fleece cap pattern to make the "skullcap", then I took another piece of material that was about 72" x 48" I folded the material longways and sewed along the 36" side to close it up then I took the side were the fold was and took the outside edges, pulling them together until they meet in the middle, handstitch to stay in place. Now take that section you just handstitched and handstitch that to the upper back of the skullcap and run a seam long the upper front section were the top meets the skullcap so both pieces stay in place. I also used some left over material to put in the front of the "flap" to give it alittle lift. After that I grabbed some flat, black stain ribbon and some braided trim and glues it to the headpiece using "liquid stitch". I used about 2 yards of ribbon and 4 yards of braided trim. Try to make sure you have the weight of the headpiece centered on your head or it will fly off when you start to walk around. I use bobbypins to keep it in place.
    It's not perfect to the true headpiece but it gets lots of attention when I go to events. :)
    Hopefully everyone can understand my instructions, if not please let me know.

11. SenatorChristina

Oct 12, 2002
    sorry, the pic link isn't working for me. I'm going to print your instructions and sit down to look at them- it sometimes takes me a few reading to get the gist of things. Thanks so much for your help! Now how about the rest of the costume?

12. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Cut and baste the link into your web browser and you will see the pic. I didn't do the rest of the costume though, I was going for a custom jedi outfit and I took pieces I liked from other jedi costumes.

13. SenatorChristina

Oct 12, 2002
    Yahoo just gives an error message. Anyway- does it look to you guys to be just a long sleve, long black dress, like Barriss's? And same material? And then, I suppose with a very dark brown cloak-

14. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah, Luminara's dress and Barriss's dress look to be the same. But I think the cloak is black too. Just read my novel a few posts up. lol.

15. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry the link isn't working. :( After xmas I can get some more detailed shots of the headpiece if you still are interested. If you have any questions about my lil' how-to, just let me know.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Upping for a query..

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
  18. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    I have the Barris action figure. If anyone needs/wants pics of it, I'm sure I could take a few pictures and PM/email them to whoever. :D Just a friendly offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.