main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Luthen Rael

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ewoksimon, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And in the very next episode, he doubts his decision to sacrifice Kreeger.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Luthen turned his ship into the Batmobile in space.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it was more bond-esque, but that batmobil comparison works too.

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Could the side lasers on his ship indicate that he's had some past experience with...kyber crystals?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The one item we know has great value to him is a kyber crystal.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Though I was wondering if he'd perhaps had prior experience using kyber crystals as the power source for a specific kind of weapon...

For some reason, I am cryptically not saying lightsaber.

7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Because it celebrates the toppling of an empire.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Luthien Rael sure has some ktver crystalls in his Fondor ship. He has so mutch history of the force and jedi in his museum. Maybe he was friends with a Jedi, and when the Jedi order got purged he chose to fight.

9. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    But with laser being red, they couldn't be Jedi crystals. They'd surely have to be Sith Kyber Crystals as it would of have to be a Sith Lord (or other Darksiders) who bled those Kyber Crystals. And I would highly doubt Vader or Palpatine will turn over theirs. Maybe an Inquisitor?

But I hope it's further back in the timeline (somehow). Might make for an interesting small story comic run in how Luthen got Sith Crystals.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    What is the thing he's very conspicuously holding when Saw's men search him in episode 11? Is that the stick that he sometimes carries? Does it telescope out, kind of like an elegant weapon from a more civilised age?

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's a back scratcher.

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    .....and it's a marshmallow roasting stick.
    But wait! There's more!!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Is there a possibility that Saw will tell Kreegyr that Luthen is letting him walk into a trap and that Kreegyr will go after Luthen?

Sarge likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You're always trying to off Luthen. Let the man alone!

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha! Despite all my theories I actually do hope he lives. Such a great character!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He need to be put down like a rapid dog.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I really feel like a lot of people on this forum are really not understanding the Luthen character.

whostheBossk and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Cassian and him definitely need to remeet. I don't know if that will happen in Ep12. I kind of feel like everyone will align with Mon at some point, and Luthen will be more lone-wolf / isolated.

I still feel there is something up with him and his past. I think a Jedi connection could def be there. Not even necessarily that he's a force user. But someone who knew the Jedi closely, maybe worked with them. He's got the knowledge, the toys, the relics. Maybe he was a Jedi baby scout in a former life. lol.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. Protean

Protean Jedi Master star 2

Sep 17, 2008
    But he's not Mothma. :p

More seriously, Luthen is a tool. Yes, yes, get the jokes out the way. But he said it himself. He has a role, he's doing his best to fulfill that role, and has no intention of outlasting it- or rather, doesn't see himself as likely to.

Everything he does is calculated and in pursuit of the goal of the rebellion as he considers most likely to work/accounting for changing circumstances- and no further. In his own words, he's not driven by ego. Wanting him dead prematurely is just...pointless since we know it probably happens?

20. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    That’s understandable really. He’s duplicitous, disingenuous, manipulative, dude’s hard to pin down. I’m not sure what his real motivations are. He’s manipulating us (the audience) as well with his impassioned monologues and grandstanding. I can smell a twist.

Not in the classic sense, no grand revelation, more a case of his philosophy, when it’s explicitly revealed, will be seen to be at odds with the lofty ideals of the fledgling Rebel Alliance. I don’t think he really cares about liberty, democracy, or the ‘Vow’. I wonder whether revenge, or one-upmanship or a combination of the two are his motivating factors. He simply enjoys giving the Empire a bloody nose regardless of the cost.

My hot take is likely to be well off course, but given the deliberate shifty nature of the character it’s understandable.

21. Protean

Protean Jedi Master star 2

Sep 17, 2008
    Honestly I don't think there is a "twist" as such- other than "ex-Jedi" or something as his original motivation.

The guy thinks the Empire has to go and is going to die for that cause and will do what he thinks will make that happen, having laid the foundations for others to pick up his torch. We've seen him go mask off before- in the conversations about Andor being a loose end- and while he's manipulating almost everyone in every conversation, there's enough consistency between his half-truths and goal oriented conversations to piece together what he wants.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Stick nonsense aside, I don't know exactly how to articulate it but "ex-Jedi" doesn't feel right to me as an origin for Luthen.

Maybe it's because I'm not sure we need or will get a clear "origin" for Luthen. The idea of his character is that he has replaced his entire identity with the spirit of violent rebellion. Who he once was is irrelevant - there is nothing left of that person. If he allowed himself to believe that there was, then he's already lost. He has made his mind a sunless place with no future and no past that could be exploited by his enemies.

He is a walking ghost, the phantom of revolution, and when he's gone no one will know he was even there apart from the few individuals who he chose to appear to.

Maybe I'll be wrong, I often am, but to me the idea of Luthen's past remaining a total mystery is very appealing and in keeping with what we know about him currently.

If I had to guess an actual origin - perhaps he really was just an antiques dealer, or something adjacent to that. Historian, archivist, archaeologist. His interest in and knowledge of antiquities certainly seems genuine. His own past may not matter to him, but the past of others and the galaxy at large certainly does. Perhaps he studied history and was then recruited into Republic intelligence before it became the ISB.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It seemed to me like his anti tractor beam weapon was a bunch of shrapnel, and he used a clever trick, maxing out his engines as if attempting to escape, causing to imps to crank up the tractor beam to full power to keep him there, and then releasing the mass of shrapnel, which was then pulled back into the tractor beam dish like bullets because the tractor beam was pulling at such high power.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ^ That is precisely how I interpreted it. ^

Avenging the death of his soul mate, Jocasta Nu.

25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Yes. We see him "de-telescope" (probably a better word for it) it when he is on Ferrix the first time to meet Cassian.
    I think we are heading for a situation where Bix fingers Kreegyr as the buyer, he is killed in the ambush before they can follow up on it, and everyone at ISB except Dedra believes that axis is off the table. I think the finale will actually put Luthen in a better position, not worse.