main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Mace Windu Characterization Thread - Writer Challenge #2- Mace Windu's Possible Love Interest

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by RKMeibalane, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Dissipate: Mace Windu confronts his former Padawan, Depa Billaba

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have a young Mace-Windu in my on going story JPW = disasters

And this is a short one centering on Mace and his music.

The initiate gang
    By earlybird-obi-wan

?Mace? Qui-Gon shouted ?that melody is an assault to my ears. You know I don?t like that kind of music and your sing along karaoke is just horrible?

Mace was singing along with the Coruscant keytones:
    Do you love me?
    Do you want me?
    Do you need me?
    All I need is
    Love potion number 9

Benno Perion began to giggle and said ?last time we heard that we were in medroom number 9 and he began to sing: ?medroom number 9, medroom number 9, we can?t leave it, we are trapped, trapped in medroom number 9?

Qui-Gon said ?yep?

Mace hollered ?and those two are my roommates. Absolutely no appreciation for nice pop-music, music-wreckers that?s what the two of you are? and he walked to the holotube and put in on.

?Ah, nice, one of my favorite holo-soaps? and he sat down on the floor of the crèche room.

Qui-Gon said ?oh nooh not that ?Good times, bad times? thing. That is a neverending story.?

Benno saw a pair of tin cans and some blocks of wood and giving one set to Qui-Gon and taking the other set they began to bang on the cans.

?Hey a nice instrument.?

?This is a nice rhythm, Benno? Qui-Gon said as he was banging along on the opening tune of ?Good times, bad times?

Bing bing bang ?Good times? bing bing bang ?bad times? Benno sang.

?A day that disappears like a night? bang, bing, bang ?Good times?, bing bang ?bad times? Qui-Gong hollered along.

Mace sat fuming before the holotube. ?First they were wrecking that lovely song from the Coruscant Keytones and now this. He waited until the titlesong had played and thought ?that would shut them up?

But no the two banged along on the rhythm of the spoken words.

Tip tap, tip tap, another sound joined the cacaphony of banging tin cans.

Qui-Gon saw who was entering the room because he was sitting with his back to the holotube. He said ?psst Benno, Master Yoda?

Benno didn?t hear his warning and just banged along.

A woman ?Ohh you?re so sweet honey?

Bang, bing , bang, tap, bang

A man ?love you dear?

Bang, bing bang.

Yoda said ?no sound this is? and he gave a loud ?tap tap? with his gimerstick.

Two initiates turned to look at the intruder ?uh oh?

One initiate giggled and said ?told you Benno?

Mace said ?I was listening to the Coruscant Keytones and Benno and Qui-Gon didn?t like that. I turned on the holotube to watch ?Good times, bad times? and they didn?t like that either.?

?That?s for girls Mace?

?Yep?

Yoda said ?good idea I got, more tin cans we need. Make symphony we will? and he went to the kitchen-unit to reappear a moment later floating an assortment of pots and pans with spoons towards the three initiates.

Yoda began and soon the four were banging along:

"We are living in a Jedi crèche, a Jedi crèche"

And Yoda:
    He smiled

3. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    My copy of Shatterpoint arrived via mail this afternoon, and having read the first sixty pages, I have the following thoughts:

4. The outbreak of the Clone Wars has shaken the Jedi Order badly, perhaps far worse than the public realizes. Mace mentions several times that the events of Geonosis- and his reluctance to destroy Dooku- have left him fighting nagging feelings of self-doubt and uncertainty, feelings that he never confronted previously. As he remarks at the novel's outset, there are no second chances. Mace was able to recognize Dooku as the war's shatterpoint: he understood that the count's death would end the war before it started. But Dooku, in another lifetime, had been his friend, Mace, burdened by an attachment that he was forbidden to have, could not kill someone whom he admired so greatly.

5. Mace is more powerful than I realized. Though no Jedi can hope to match Anakin's raw potential or Yoda's wisdom, Mace is perhaps the individual who comes the closest. His innate ability to see the weaknesses in other beings, situations, as well as his creation and mastery of an entirely new form of lightsaber combat, are examples of his skill. It is shame that his life ended prematurely, as he would likely have lived several decades beyond the events of Revenge of the Sith. Had he the opportunity to continue his studies of the Force, there's no telling how much more powerful he may have become.

6. The galaxy is a dangerous place. Stover offers an excellent depiction of this reality throughout the early stages of the novel.
  8. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    I loved Shatterpoint, and the main reason being is that Matthew Stover finally gave us a realistic picture into the Clone War and showed us the slightly-less rosy side of a Jedi embroiled in it.

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    It's been a couple years since I read Shatterpoint. I had to borrow it from the public library (limited funds keep me from buying novels nowadays), so I can't go back to read it unless i borrow from the library once more.

EDIT: Because I didn't mean to send the message yet. :oops:

What I meant to say, that Shatterpoint gave so much insight into Mace's character. I liked him before I read it, and it made me respect him all the more after I read it. I don't want to say more, because I don't wish to spoil your reading it, RKM, but I will say that it showed the Jedi as real people not some remote godlike beings living in their ivory tower with their otherworldly powers.

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Shatterpoint is one of my favourite novels, period. FYI, Stover actually posts on here, he's on my WUL

I love Mace's funny moments at the start, like the Neimoidian woman.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I can't recall that moment. *Vows to go to the library when she has the time*

12. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I vaguely remember that, Katana. I remember laughing my head-off during class, at least. ;)

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    The woman tells Mace he looks like a Korun and asks if he has powers, Mace says he has the power to make ten credits appear in her hand and she says it was a useful power to have and she could make it disappear ;)

Then there's Geptun. "I guess that means your it!"

14. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Oh, yes. Geptun. [face_laugh]

And the initiation speech thing. 'I should really be recording this.' [face_laugh] Best line ever! (IMO)

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Don't worry, I wrote it down

16. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    You wrote it down? Why? Don't you have a copy?

17. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    No, I don't have a copy of Shatterpoint. :(

I collect quotations Lolly, and that's one of hundreds I have about the Force. I use them in my fics I have a whole bunch of them from Shatterpoint though

18. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    [face_plain] Uh. How many of the people here actually DO have a copy of Shatterpoint?

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  20. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Cool. That makes two of us... Kinda random when you think about it.

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  22. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    What? That's the only word I could think of. :_|

I guess you could substitute weird.

23. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    With Star Wars: The Clone Wars coming out next week, I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss what is known about Mace's role in the film. From what I've seen, he doesn't appear to have a significant amount of screen time. One of the trailers shows him appearing in a holographic transmission, but that's the only footage of Mace that I'm aware of. Does anyone else have more information?

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    No, but I would like to see him fight Dooku

Yes, I know I don't let up, do I?

25. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    They couldn't have him fight Dooku because he would kill the **** outta him. Then that would screw up canon. :p

And I own a copy of Shatterpoint. (One of my favorite EU books. Definitely top 5, maybe top 2.) Mace is most definitely my favorite PT character, but I won't write him. I think he's too complex of a character and that I wouldn't do him justice. But I don't think enough people write him. So get writing people! :p

26. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I have the impression that Mace would win ;)

And they can have the fight stopped so neither can die, can't they?

27. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that Mace would kill the **** outta Dooku. ;)

And they could have it end in a draw, like they did the Yoda/Dooku fight, but I don't see them doing it. Mostly because the fans would like to see it. :p

28. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Uh. I think there's a little more of Mace, with a heap of troops, but I might be mistaken.

29. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yes, you have a point there.

I seem to recall in Shatterpoint what he promises himself he will do when he gets on the Halleck, take a shower.

I'm working on a fic for the challenge guys, gimme a few minutes to put it up.

Here it is! The Conversation

Of course, it's a link to the Francis Ford Coppola film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.