main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I remember the drugs and the religion but not that sex had any big/notable role

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    There's a whole entire court cult devoted to controlled breeding to produce a Messiah. And there's a whole Fremen drug fueled orgy ritual. Half the intrigue is about who is having sex with and bearing children with who.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do you think it does a good job at faithfully portraying Islam or a future evolution of it? Or do you think it's just used more in a mid-20th-century Western civ way of adding something more "exotic"?

There are great things about Dune, but I've always wondering if the religious parts rubbed religious people (particularly Muslim or Zen Buddhist) the wrong way.

@Gamiel it has strict gender roles and castes and human breeding, personally seems too weird/archaic for a realistic futuristic setting for humans from Earth for me, and at least not with current sensibilities with being gender-neutral and increased visibility of transgender and nonbinary folks, but the role of sex and gender is definitely there.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Dream-Thinker likes this.
  4. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    There is a lot of sexual references in Heretics of Dune. Especially with the Honored Matres.

5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont know if I'd say it does a good jump presenting Islam as such or a future evolution thereof. I have often wondered how versed Herbert was in perennialism, however, and how that informed his ideas for religion and the Orange Catholic Bible's compilation.

Dune can be quite Orientalist in its approach, I think, but overall I think he uses the concepts in a largely respectful way. The biggest fans of Dune I've ever known have been Muslims.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ghost like this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Last thing I watched that I would even argue would be a space opera that isn't Star Wars is Netflix She-Ra ;)

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    My personal Dune fandom begins and ends with the 1984 movie and, more specifically, its storybook, which I used to own as a kid. I know, I know, I'm a heretic. I tried reading the novel at age 12 or so and failed spectacularly, making it about a quarter of the way in before the sheer density of the text overwhelmed me. (At the same age I'd read Stephen King's It in it's entirety, so I guess that tells you something.) Nowadays I have a passing interest in the Dune mythology and have watched some of the excellent "Quinn's Ideas" videos on the subject, but actually sitting down and reading the things is not something that's on my plate right now, not with Star Wars dropping eight to ten novels a year on me and all the non-fiction research material I have to read, at any rate.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean as much as it's interesting to see what inspired the things we love Dune inspiring Star Wars. Sometimes it's hard to get into those things because well...they are products of their times or some things did it better.

Like I think Star Wars did a lot of things that it was riffing on better than the things that were riffed

I sometimes think She-Ra did things better then say Avatar The Last Airbender in terms of things it was riffing on.

So it kinda makes sense.

cthugha and Ghost like this.
  9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The biggest thing about the Dune/Star Wars comparisons I’ve given thought towards...was how Rian Johnson must have read Children of Dune in his depiction of Luke Skywalker. Seems like Star Wars can’t escape Frank Herbert’s influences even when it’s fully cemented itself as it’s own thing.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean in general the best Star Wars comes when it pulls from other things other then itself otherwise it becomes insular or hollow. Like making a copy of a copy.

Dune, Lord of the Rings, Flash Gordan are probably always influence on Star Wars.

we now just live in a time where Star Wars will influence Star Wars

FS26 and Gamiel like this.
  12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    TFA is the one that immediately springs to mind. To its detriment I think.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's mostly the Abrams film with that problems, the others i think have better job.

Even if TFA has the best set of characters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2021
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    There's definitely a disenchanted Muad'dib vibe to Luke in TLJ. It's also Arthur on Avalon.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Luke's story is very Arthurian. And that makes Kylo Mordred.

FS26, Dawud786 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is actually remarkably... spot on. It also fits TROS. I think it's coincidence but there are a few things that are remarkably similar (if I post anything about the Preacher and Alia here it will be a post-Dune spoiler, but you could definitely draw some strange connections).

Rey didn't become a worm though. Or maybe she did and we just didn't see that was her eventual plan on Tatooine, burrowing in the Lars hole.

darthcaedus1138, cthugha and Dawud786 like this.
  17. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Baron Palpatine...

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Jumping bodies, etc....

19. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'd had some Pop Cultural Osmosis knowledge of Dune thanks to SF Debris and similar internet videos. I read it recently in preparation for the movie and it was a great read. I was surprised it was written in the 60's, something about it just felt more "modern" to me. Mostly the language, but maybe the best example for this was how it handled that scene between Stilgar and Paul.
    The one were it subverts the traditional "the new leader must fight the old leader to the death" trope. Things like Star Trek and yes even Star Wars were playing this trope straight decades later, but even back then Herbert was pointing out what a tactically stupid move that is.

I may read the sequels at some point, but I've already got a lot books and podcasts I've been meaning to get around to.

Although I enjoyed the story,I would say stay away from the Audible audiobook. It starts out as a reading by a full cast of voice actors (similar to Dooku: Jedi Lost). Then it switches to one narrator reading the whole thing. And THEN it switches back and forth between full cast and only one narrator, sometimes in the middle of a chapter, seemingly at random. The one good thing is that the actor for the Baron sounds like James Earl Jones and speaks with appropriate gravitas and menace. (I have no idea who the VA was though, because on top of all it's other faults this audiobook doesn't say who voiced who in the credits).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Alpha-Red and Dawud786 like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Lucas was actually the one who came up with the “Luke is bitter and in self-exile” idea for the Sequels, but yeah, probably an influence from Dune there, as well as the things that inspired Dune going all the way back to Greek Mythology and the Old Testament.

FS26 likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you actually count She-Ra as Space opera?

Maybe it's just me but clinically described secret breading program is not what I would think of as sex when people say "sex, drugs and religion"

JediBatman likes this.
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, there’s Baron Harkonnen and his depravity that hangs over the series.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can't comment on the later books but in the first that was not something important for the overall story, so I would not say that that could count as something "Dune is about"

Finally? Did not the 2002 have a multi episode storyark focusing on her? If it was Spikor I could understand the "Finally".

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Beats me? I would say it probably takes from some of those tropes along with others. But then again everything riffs on everything these days.

Not that I remember? And it still never got resolved.

25. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I would say when your major antagonist is largely characterised by his extreme hedonism and predatory aspects, that’s not something to dismiss. It’s not as important as the deconstruction of the Messiah concept, but Herbert’s use of Harkonnen and his hedonist sexual appetites becomes a sort of short-hand for spiritual corruption. At least across the first three novels.