main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh yeah, i would even go as far as to argue that Star Wars as a IP is probably in a healthier place then it was during those LOTF/FOTJ days

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It has been pretty good overall, though I'm not convinced by the apparent direction to render it as a TV, streaming-based property. It could backfire in terms of how much people are willing to pay for it.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Man it's weird thinking Russel is gonna return to Doctor Who, however from what i've heard he's grown quite a lot as artist and made some quite fantastic pieces of fiction since his time gone, so it's not like he hasn't been doing anything since then.

In a lot of ways he's gonna be a show runner with a lot of creative pull, so it'll be curious how he uses that creative power.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do you have access to It's A Sin? Watching it might be a more daring activity in the US, but if you do try the first episode ensure you have a free four hours after it.

Also Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale is well worth a look.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

sadly no I barley have access to Doctor Who. But I’ve heard great things.

Also Amphibia fans

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, It's A Sin deserves its rep.

Writer's Tale is a book, not TV.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's good to hear, I'll be curious to see how the more seasoned RTD brings to Doctor Who. Normally I'd by iffy about brining back old creators in general, i'm more about brining in new voices then brining back the old in all things but i don't think (At least i hope) RTD isn't just gonna do the same thing again from 2005-2010 (Even if that's my favorite era)

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Dawud786

Sorry for the DP but i also wanted to add to a older post that I agree that the Thrawn Trilogy wouldn't have made a good template for 7-9 I also think NJO wouldn't have made a good template for 7-9 either as much i think people may disagree.

Or at least even the idea of the next big thing being a intergalactic invasion.

I also don't think NJO would make a good 10-12 template either.

Granted i don't know what but if it were me I would look to the Mortis arc in terms of what the template for the next installment of the saga would be.

9. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The Thrawn Trilogy was never meant to be a Sequel Trilogy. Zahn himself has said this. It’s collectively closer to a theoretical episode 6.5 than 7-8-9. I’d argue Dark Empire doesn’t really work in that fashion either.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Dark Empire works better thematically, but the big problem with most of the Legends post-ROTJ is the total lack of a definitive storyline where-in the next gen takes the reins. It just doesn't happen.

Maybe Legacy, but even then I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My problem with Legacy is that I just DON'T LIKE Cade Skywalker character as a next generation Hero. He just doesn't have the qualities i look for in Star Wars main hero for another Saga.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    To me Dark Empire, as with Thrawn, feels like an extension of ROTJ as opposed to a proper sequel. Jaws 2/Halloween II syndrome.

13. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I agree, those stories feel more like "The Continuing Adventures of..." instead of the next big part of a multi-generational saga, having the PT being the generation of Anakin, the OT of his children, and the ST of his grandchildren is the ideal format.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes but that's not the reputation they tend to have in the grand scheme of things.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Because a lot of those stories predate the Prequels and the whole generational concept. At the time they were sequels to the “Star Wars Trilogy” and that’s stuck around, regardless of subsequent changes.

16. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    But mostly only due to the fact that they're... Well, trilogies after ROTJ, their fame as the Sequels for the OT was born before the Prequel Trilogy came out.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's Star Wars for yuh.

Doesn't really matter what the intent was whatever generation you grow up into creates the perception.

In 10-12 years were gonna have a whole generation that only know 1-9 as "The Skywalker Saga" until by that time a Ep 10-12 get created.

18. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    But the older perceptions stick around, hence your complaint about people still considering the old EU as proper sequels instead of just continuations.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh true.

But at the end of the day for me newer perceptions are more important than older ones in terms of the one i always go for value.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2021
  20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    So you’re Kylo Ren.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Essentially when it comes to Star Wars yes.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's kind of the point - Cade isn't a hero. He starts off too broken to be so, rejects as much as he can the idea he could be, makes token acts to ward it off, recovers a bit then relapses terribly, before finally getting his act together and accepts he has to defeat Krayt. Cade becomes a hero but is never entirely at ease with it either.

That Cade relapses makes for an exasperating character, but in terms of things like mental health, it's accurate. Cade's story is one of recovery and that isn't a straight line from A to B.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Unfortunately I don't think Jan and John had enough time to finish the series properly, or do what they wanted to do with it*. Krayt's story ended perfectly, but Cade and the Fels' stories never felt concluded. It's been a while so maybe I'm forgetting details, but I recall coming away from the series thinking Cade had started to turn around but more for the sake of them needing to wrap up the story rather than an actually satisfying ending.

*I'm particularly thinking here of that time they introduced so many new side characters that Dark Horse told them to stop. There was an issue with a bunch of new Jedi on the cover that I don't think made it (or when it was released, did not have these characters) because J&J were told not to spend any more time developing new subplots. I'm not passing judgement on who was in the right/wrong here, but it did seem as though J&J had a lot of ideas that almost made it to the final run but never quite got there. Even the characters that did make it didn't have time to shine, because the stage was too crowded.

Edit: This cover -- the Jedi on the cover were not in the issue. Some made it to later issues, but the story J&J planned for them for this issue never happened because DH told them to move the main story along.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I think it could have easily gone longer and agree Cade's story was wrapped up fast, even with a 6-issue finale.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really didn't like the new status quo at the end of Legacy. Having the Felpire in defacto control just feels all kinds of icky to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk