main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Lord Exor

So if Dark Empire was a good basis for 7-9 in your eyes that connects to the foundations of Star Wars what should 10-12 be inspired by that also connects to the foundations of Star Wars

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" branding was, yeah. The Marvel comics had their own equally fun little blurb, "The Greatest Space Fantasy Film of All!" More to my point, though, is that regardless of medium the early storytelling, by virtue of not being beholden to THE SAGA and an increasingly sprawling continuity, had a sort of freewheeling quality that, to me, often feels more connected to the Buck Rogers / Flash Gordon lineage than later material like Heir does. And I'm not bashing continuity or Heir by any means, I'm just a huge fan of the early stuff and that quality of the storytelling in general. One of the reasons I like Jason Aaron's run on the canon Star Wars series back in 2015-2017 so much is that I think he came as close as anyone ever has to recapturing that quality in modern material.

One way to look at what I'm trying to say might be - Star Wars from 1977 - 1991 was influenced by Buck Rogers / Flash Gordon, Star Wars from 1991 onward was influenced by... Star Wars. The early influences became a little more diluted when Star Wars itself became a bit more self-referential. Originally Star Wars thrived on a sense of nostalgia about its influences; later Star Wars thrived on nostalgia about itself. Not sure if I'm making any sense with any of this but, yeah.

Imagine how fun it would be if Del Rey and Lucasfilm revived the "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" branding and let loose with a series of really pulpy, 1970's style paperbacks featuring standalone Big Three adventures, or new Han Solo novels, or new Lando novels. No big tie-ins to THE SAGA, no worries about whether the story "matters," just a fun adventure. And yeah, I know Del Rey doesn't really do original Star Wars paperbacks anymore... but it's still fun to imagine.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont disagree with you. It was just such a short lived time period, and also really small number of stories with that tag line. Like, just the Daley stuff and the ANH novelization had it. By the time of the ESB and ROTJ novelizations it had been dropped.

I would love a "from the adventures of Luke Skywalker" series though. This is literally what they should do for the ROTJ to TFA period. We've gotten glimpses. Shattered Empire, Legends of Luke Skywalker, Mando Season 2 Episode 8, and Rise of Kylo Ren flashback on Elphrona. I absolutely want more of that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I disagree i prefer not having too many Luke stories in that era i think it keeps to his idea of him being a legend

5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Not much of a legend if there's not many stories to tell, eh?

Looking at real life examples: Alexander the Great is a historical figure, yet became absorbed into local myth cycles. A whole genre of fiction exists called Alexander Romance, full of small stories about Alexander, some borrowing from older myths and some merely ascribing a larger-than-life character to Alexander. Some of the stories are probably true or have basis in truth, others are entirely myth.

Would be cool if something similar happened to Luke Skywalker fading into the background of storytelling. Could base a whole George Mann book around the adventures of Luke Skywalker, the Last Jedi. You could keep the canonicity of the events vague, too, just by emphasizing the mythical nature of the stories.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I guess.

I sorta use the Legends of Legends as the Legends of Luke Skywalker.

So in my head canon people in the Star Wars Galaxy are talking about Luke vs Luuke and Heir to the Empire is just a story told by people in universe

But I'm kida eh if we get more Luke stories or not. Only reason i'm excited for Shadow of the Sith is more for the Sith Eternal stuff then Luke and Lando.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Just saw Dune. I can't wait for part 2.

darthcaedus1138, Ghost and JediBatman like this.
  8. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Oh yeah! I am a math professor and last year I gave a problem on the exam which was in another professor's model exam. So a lot of people just copied his given solution, including stuff like "we apply Proposition 2.14", the reference being to that professor's lecture notes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Supreme Leader Woke and Ramza like this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Found some fun quotes of George talking about the EU going back to 2002

[​IMG]

10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    That last one should be the header quote for the Wook article on the Sith Wars. "Well, that never happened. That's just made up by fans or somebody." [face_laugh]

Watcherwithin likes this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Star Wars according to George Lucas:

Tier 1) My creation
    Tier 2) Fanfiction with paid creators
    Tier 3) Fanfiction with unpaid wannabe creators

And some entries of the most honest SW encyclopedia never published:

The Force
    => Space Wizards wielding not-magic can tap into a mystical energy field created by life and all living. The only limitations to its use or users are what the plot demands.

Magick
    => This is not the Force but basically does the same

Hyperdrive / Hyperspace / Hyperspeed
    => The speed of plot needed to get characters from A to B without interfering with other plot and people unless the author wants to tell that part

Underwear
    => Does not exist in space

Jabba the Hutt
    => A giant slug that for weird reasons once was a cool funny human guy when out and about in Mos Eisley and some non slug alien in comics. (Maybe a shapeshifting species?)

Han Solo
    => Schrödinger's Plot character that always shot first even when he didn't

Luke Skywalker
    => the only hero in fiction that didn't get the girl that got him out of his farm to start his adventure because she turned out to be his sister

Darth Vader
    => the entire saga is supposedly revolving around him but you only notice that after the 4th movie which is actually the first episode because the first movie is the fourth episode

Leia Organa
    => the girl most of the saga actually revolves around and who has to save everybody including herself

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What I’m getting from those quotes is that George Lucas seriously underestimates how many people would be interested in Han Solo: Stay-at-Home Dad.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's funny because it's very, very, very true.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The fact that GL can make up Stewjon on the spot as an obvious joke and it instantly becomes canon has obvious implications regarding Han and Leia's little house with the white picket fence and grill. Wookieepedia, take note.

FS26, VexedAtVohai and Dream-Thinker like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I really appreciate the accuracy of the lightsaber. He could've done whatever, most people wouldn't care, but he drew Obi-Wan's lightsaber hilt... that shows a real love for the character.

Mia Mesharad and Dream-Thinker like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Bill Amend has a pretty long history of demonstrating that he knows his stuff, which is fitting for a guy who retired from doing daily strips to play more WoW.

... Well, okay, he "coincidentally" retired from doing daily strips at roughly the same time he was giving interviews about how he would sometimes miss deadlines because he was playing too much WoW, but connect the dots, people!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Especially if their (sky)house will also have the most comfortable chair ever designed.

19. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I had a fun (I'm sure deeply unoriginal) thought for the first time ever in 16 years of EU fandom today. Why are the boundaries of the galaxy are always talked about in terms of the edge of the disc? Why is it never talked about reaching the edge of the galaxy and all the weird phenomena that entails by going up or down out of the disc?

cthugha likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We're all Khan. We don't think in three dimensions.

PCCViking, Vthuil and Ramza like this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's especially bad since four dimensional beings are we. Not this... cube matter.

PCCViking, Vthuil, FS26 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    HandOfThrawn45's 4 part Legacy's End (a sequel to Legacy Vol. 2) fanfiction has come to an end, and it was wonderful.

Kadar Ordo likes this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Does he have a wook for his fics additions to Legends or any summaries of their content as not everybody reads them I bet but intrigued minds want to know what he did different than ones own headcanon continuation. Also how comes that out of plent of fanfic authors he is the most often cited one when it comes to Legends continuation? Is he the only one who seriously tries or what makes him that good? I still am wary of his fics and need someone to sell me on them. What is the best of? Moments, quotes, character moments? Cause the premise alone does not make me read lots of fanfics in the hope of finding a good one fitting my headcanon continuation. Like what is his stance on certain characters fates, the Force, sw mythology and meaning etc. aside using lots of EU folks and open plotlines? Never found enough discussion of that to sell me on it. And why does his continuation feel "Star Wars" or Legends fitting? Some fic summaries over at fanfiction.net rather sound like random fanfic ideas. What is so special then? How does he resolve anything in new interesting and meaningful ways? How is his writing style? What are his high and lows?

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Seems to be a rather simple and direct solution to those Qs: Pick a story by that author and give it a go, you'll find out rather quickly if it works for you.

25. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Well there are the seven satellite galaxies (Companion Aurek aka "Rishi Maze"; Companion Besh aka "Firefist" where the Nagai & Tofs come from; and so on until Companion Grek) that are some hundreds of thousands of lightyears beyond the galactic plane... and IIRC in TOR: Fatal Alliance they also get to on a planet that's above or below the galactic plane in the end. So travel beyond the vertical edges seems to be possible, but I guess all the satellite galaxies etc could still be inside the bubble formed by the hyperspace barrier that makes transgalactic travel impossible.

Nom von Anor likes this.