main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Listening to the interviews of Ewan for Kenobi really make me hope people can sort of start to understand Luke Skywalker in TFA/TLJ through the lens of Obi-Wan's state when the series picks up.

It also kind of makes me wish we could get a limited series showing Ben Solo's last few days or months leading up to The Rise of Kylo Ren and Luke's journey from seeing his Jedi temple and students killed, the emergence of Kylo and the First Order and his exile on Ahch-To. Ending on him seeing the Falcon landing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:
    The 90th anniversary of Goofy by TedJohansson on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "It's 90 years since the first version of Goofy - then called " Dippy Dawg" - debuted in the cartoon "Mickey's Revue". So now Goofy can join the 90+ club together with Black Pete, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar and Pluto.

But it's a bit confusing when "Mickey's Revue" premiered. The date I have used in the past is May 25. (The book "Disney A to Z - The Official Disney Encyclopedia" is one of the sources for this date.) But at the same time I see that IMDb refers to May 27. A good reason to celebrate Goofy the whole week I guess. [​IMG] "

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Honestly I'd be fine w/ a novel about that. I'm glad that we're getting "Shadow of the Sith" - it'll be nice to start filling some of the holes in the timeline between the sagas. I hope it's successful and we get even more novels leading up to TFA.

Dawud786 likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Re: A certain "controversy" regarding casting in Kenobi

I have the general view it's not so much the "fandom" as a core of racists who are attempting to wage the culture war across multiple fandoms that already reach billions: Star Trek, Star Wars, video games [a certain movement that shall not have its name spoken], and a set of book awards [you know which ones] were all infiltrated and subverted by the Alt-Right.

This isn't to say there aren't racist and misogynist geeks. Good Lord, we've known about them since the earliest days of Cons and the internet. However, this is much more organized and insidious.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm inclined to agree that it is a wider, more insidious plague not limited to SW. There's been the whole sad puppies mess in SF a few years back. I recently finished Leckie's Ancillary trilogy - which was likely one of the works objected to.

Comics, games, films, books - the same type of scumbags, the same bullcrap arguments - it recurs time and again. What does seem to be changing is there's more push back against it. Hopefully that continues.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It actually reminds me of when neo-Nazis tried to infiltrate the punk, skinhead and hardcore scenes in the 80s and 90s.

Not sure how we deal with it in the Star Wars community. Punks, anti-racist skins and hardcore kids just beat the bricks off Nazis any time they step foot near a gig.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Jedi Ben and Charlemagne19 like this.
  8. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Some current tv is putting me in a Dark Times mood. Other then the mediocre comic of the same name, and the fantastic novel Kenobi, anyone want to recommend something good set then?

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Amusingly, I got my first 1-star review today for my latest release. I thought people would find it amusing because they went into a tirade against my hatred of the 2nd Amendment. The scene they're referring to is when some Neo-Confederate space pirates (it was making fun of Firefly) proclaim they can't be taken for gun running because of their 2nd amenmdent rights. The protagonist points out that doesn't exist in outer space.

[​IMG]

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    New stuff or Legends?

11. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Either.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Of all the reasons to get a 1-star review, that's one to print and frame for posterity.
    The later seasons of Rebels were fairly excellent, once Thrawn entered the picture. Also the Thrawn novel (not only for Thrawn, but Pryce's backstory was one of Zahn's better tales).

Another might be the Jyn Erso tale, "Rebel Rising" by Beth Revis. I just read that a few months ago. Not an outstandingly fantastic book, but definitely... different. Worth reading, even if depressing. The Dark Times period, in general, is hard to get right without devolving into a massive downer.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  13. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    When I offhandedly mentioned Yaddle today in the context of adjective agreement, I wasn't expecting it to so thoroughly derail French class. My seventh graders absolutely lost it after Googling her – "You're telling us there's a Yoda with hair??" I guess she's now their class mascot? One of my students left me this beautiful whiteboard art: [​IMG]

cthugha, Nom von Anor, Ghost and 6 others like this.
  14. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, all three early NU Canon novels set then - Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, A New Dawn - are great, and together provide a rather wide picture of Dark Times.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Did you ever check out what became the Reavesverse?

Coruscant Nights 1-4 plus Shadow Games is its dark times component.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd count Death Star as part of the Reavesverse.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reavesverse yes but I wouldn't class it as part of its DT era.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say that "Dark Times" can overlap with "Galactic Civil War" to a degree - everything up to the moment the first Death Star explodes can be thought of as Dark Times, and, conversely, from the Corellian Treaty onwards can be thought of as Galactic Civil War. So we have about two years that are both Dark Times and Civil War.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cool LEGO short that came out during Celebration-

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    A couple of things that stood out to me as I checked out photos of the MandalorianExperience from Celebration:

Finally we get a good look at the Mok Shiaz guard uniform. Cool looking gear, I am surprised they put the time and resources into making it for guys who only appear in the background for one scene. One would think they would be part of the final battle at least.

Looks like Lang's costume had a helmet he never actually wore. Interesting - I remember that happening a few times on Game of Thrones. I wonder if it is a face time thing, except it doesn't seem to be a face obscuring helmet...
    (The helmet design also feels kindof familiar, but I can't place it)

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    This week's episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds really does make me want to see Star Wars tell stories of Jedi being diplomats and intuitive negotiators. We don't get that nearly enough. The High Republic would be a natural fit for that kind of story, but they haven't really done anything like it. It's just the usual lightsaber antics.

There's also a solar sail ship that is so very Dooku.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Related to the stuff I posted earlier, Brian Matyas has a lot of interesting concept art for a mandalorian season 2 - I particularly liked the samurai looking bodyguards that the magistrate had before they were switched with the HK droids in the final show. Unfortunately, most of it is on instragram which is hard to look at, much less share, without signing up for and from what I hear they are really bad about selling data...

Agreed. Jedi are supposed to be diplomats first and warriors second, but we so rarely see that side of the job. I mean, I get it is an action franchise, but I would still expect to see it every once and a while. In particular, as much as I do like High Republic, it does feel like something of a missed opportunity to not have more of that instead of just an ever escalating war with the Nihil.

And yeah, that ship really looked like Dooku's.

Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The way the solar sails unfurled was exactly like Dooku's.

There's a bit in this video about how in Western fantasy magic systems power or ability is frequently tied to genetics, lineages, or being innately born with magic as opposed to those born without. While in East Asian fantasy, it is normal for cultivation of magic/ability/chi to be open to anyone through hard work.

I'm just wondering if Star Wars might be improved somewhat if access to the Force weren't entirely limited by midi-chlorian counts, but more open to people born with "low" midi-chlorians. I feel like the Guardians of the Whills and Chirrut Imwe muddies the waters somewhat and kind of opens things up a bit , but they make sure to say he could *never* get up to what a Jedi could do.

As it stands, there's a way in which Force-sensitives are almost like demi-gods, perhaps born into families at random, but they are still a cut above normal people. Functionally mutants.

24. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Okay, I ordered Tarkin, and put some of the Reaves stuff on hold at the library. Thanks, all.

cthugha likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My understanding has always been that it's easier for those with higher midichlorian counts, but that anyone with midichlorians could theoretically be trained to use or at least sense the Force (and every living thing has midichlorians). Even if it took decades of training to do what most Jedi younglings could do instinctively, it was theoretically possible.

Gamiel likes this.