main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My understanding has always been that it's easier for those with higher midichlorian counts, but that anyone with midichlorians could theoretically be trained to use or at least sense the Force (and every living thing has midichlorians). Even if it took decades of training to do what most Jedi younglings could do instinctively, it was theoretically possible.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The first TCW episode touches on this.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Marvel Thor's iconic winged helmet from the comics appeared for maybe 30 seconds at the beginning of the first Thor movie, and never again in the entire cinematic universe (though the one he had in Ragnarok was admittedly a homage to it), because it was apparently very uncomfortable for Chris Hemsworth to wear. Could simply be something along those lines.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ha! I didn't know that. I had even forgotten he had the helmet in the first movie. Huh.
    I liked Yoda in the first episode better than Yoda in all the other episodes, mainly for his discussion with the clones on that topic.

...he was sort of a judgemental smartass in the later episodes.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah. Almost feels deliberate.

Funnily enough, I remember a discussion elsewhere where people were arguing the opposite - that they self-made, "badass normal" was entirely a western trope born out of western obsession with individualism, and most other stories had heroes that were destined or otherwise special at birth in some ways.
    Personally, I think that while it is tempting to make sweeping statements about cultural character, things are rarely so simple...

But yeah, having the force been learned or trained would be very different. I really like the idea, but I suppose it raises the question of why everyone wouldn't do it, given its usefulness...

In any case, it is clearly a thing where training and skill can trump raw power - ie Anakin having the highest midichlorian count ever but losing to Obi-Wan on Mustafar and almost dying.

And yeah, as was pointed out in another post, all beings have the force to some degree so training is theoretically possible, I suppose at some point the effort/reward ratio isn't worth it, like spend most of your life to learn how to barely move a small thing.

Huh, interesting. Yeah, that makes sense.

...though, hearing how big celebrities sometimes don't wear their helmets for comfort reasons, I feel sorry for the extras who have to spend the whole time shooting in full face covering helmets, masks, or prosthetics.

Ghost likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:
    I'm looking for cyberpunk that's not seet in the USA or Japan. Do people have any suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for cyberpunk that have some other culture then USA or Japan being the cultural superpower. Do people have any suggestions?

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Buyadeen aka WHEN GRAVITY FAILS is about how the future is dominated by cyberpunk Middle Easterners.

Sadly, my DAUGHTER OF THE CYBER DRAGONS is very USA and Japan dominated.

:)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    cthugha and Gamiel like this.
  8. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    This is just something I wanted to share. I've been co-writing a AU fan fic called "Luz Clawthorne" which is based on Disney's The Owl House. It has over sixty chapters at this point and even its own TV Tropes page, whose main editor has also been drawing promos and designs based on the fic. Earlier today he published this piece of fan art depicting a scene from the fic for Pride Month and I really like how it turned out, so I figured that I would give a shout-out to CrashXFusion from DeviantArt...

[​IMG]

Charlemagne19 and Gamiel like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Cool.

Suggest reposting it in the art thread.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have not read it but
    [​IMG]

is inspiered by chinese culture and to my understaning either take place in future China or a countrie where China is the cultural superpower.

Then you know what to do for the next story to spice it up. Send the character to a new countrie!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Well there's some 20-odd German Shadowrun novels from back when they just let authors in other countries publish localized versions of their franchise... ;)

(That's still an underrated & underutilized publishing strategy by the way, in my opinion. If you have a franchise that's set on Earth, whether in the past or future or whatever, why not get people from all over to contribute and detail their own small niche of it? Sure, canon management and all might get a little complicated, but the potential hype and the dynamism this could inject into both the franchise and local writing communities would be so worth it.)

Gamiel likes this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I believe that both Hungary and France have a good amount of native cyberpunk writing, but I’m not personally familiar beyond that.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    This is hilarious!

cthugha, Sauron_18 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Did I spent the whole day reading saccharine Buffy-Faith fanfic instead of working? The answer isn’t no…

Dawud786 likes this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Quick question to anime fans... any Sailor Moon fans here? I am trying to write up something squaring the Sailor Senshi roles and cosmology with a counterpart in the GFFA tied to Dathomir and other worlds, witchcraft and a Galactic age of the Mother preceding the downfall of them and the rise of other Forceusers like Jedi and Sith.

So any SailorMoon/SW input you can give is well wanted.

PS: The Buffy/Angel/etc. verse in a GFFA version also has appeals I try to find a place for... some Old One hellholes and potential guardians? Hmm... Need input!

16. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Just a head's up since it might have been lost in the crowd yesterday with the Kenobi finale and Ms Marvel drops, but the final episodes of Amphibia are now on Disney+ (at least for the US).

Managed to more or less binge the last four episodes earlier, and I still say it's a pretty good ending. Doesn't hurt that I do like
    time skip epilogues.

That said, there is one thing in The Hardest Thing that kinda bugs me (Big spoilers for The Hardest Thing. You have been warned.):
    So, Anne dies and disintegrates, but is brought back to life in another dimension by the Guardian/Watcher/Domino 3. While that's not what bugs me, its the vague and ambiguous explanation how the Guardian gives that does, because either it was an actual resurrection (ie same soul, new body), or she's straight up a clone with Original Anne's memories. The first one I can live with and view as the same Anne, the second... not so much, unfortunately. Feels too Replacement Goldfish-y to me.

I think in an interview Q&A after the finale aired that it was clarified that the explanation was meant to be vague and ambiguous and that any read was valid. So I'm just going to choose to believe Anne had the True Resurrection spell cast on her and move on.

Of the animated shows I've watched on D+ over the past couple years, I'd put Gravity Falls/The Owl House up top with Amphibia right under them. Far below them, in the category of "Endings Can Ruin You" is Star Vs the Forces of Evil.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Check it out:

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm somewhat of a fan I guess.

If I remember my SM cosmology right (and I fully admit that I can have confused canon stuff with fanon stuff I read) is that all planets have some kind of soul that the Sailor Senshi are "avatars" of (I think the author did not think to deep about her worldbuilding so there are lots of questions you could ask about "why this and not that", "but what about", and "those other planets in other star systems"). With Sailor Moon actually being an anomaly that gets her power from her McGuffin. So in this kind of setting every planet GFFA could have their own Sailor Senshi, and possibly have. And since Tuxedo Mask is the Sailor Senshi of Earth is there nothing that says that every Sailor Senshi have similar looks or powers, or have to be female.

I can't really recall anything about the Sailor Senshi that would say that they are more fitting with Dathomir and witchcraft (which I think is established as just another style to use the Force in new canon and in the old absolutely was).

I think that in Sailor Moon they established a big bad for the last story arc that had been the reason why so many planets did not have Sailor Senshis (or at least why they had been dorment), I did not read that far into the story so I don't know why/how but think (I'm right now unwilling to drown in wikifacts by looking it up) that it was something about the big bad draining the energy of planets.

You could have that something like that had happened in GFFA and it's only now that most planets have begun to recover enough energy to ordain an avatar.

Anywhere.

The thing with Hellmouths are that they could be anywhere, and since they don't seem to really obviously change their surrounding or the planet they are on (Buffy Earth seems to be very similar to our Earth, at least when it comes to the humans), the planet could be really nice or really bad. The only thing I see is that if it was on one of the planets where the Sith were big should they most likely have tried to use it for their own ends, in which case the Jedi would likely know about it and have done their best to seal/destroy it. If they Jedi did not find out about it could I see the Hellmouth being surrounded by machinery, geometrics, and/or mystical constructs that are their to drain the energy, prevent stuff the Sith did not want from coming through, or mad men from trying to open up the Hellmouth.

And you don't need to have any kind of guardians over it. Sunnydale did not have any kind of guardians before Buffy and she got there more by chance than anything ordained. If things had developed differently before the show started she would have been stopping vampires, monsters and apocalypses in LA instead of Sunnydale.

I suggest taking a look at the old BtVS RPG Monster Smackdown book since it has a section about Hellmouths, alternative places to have one and similar.

Also, this kind of questions should probobly also be asked in the Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice thread.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  19. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Well, the Mayor was sorta doing that, right? Not for good reasons, but I always figured that he was keeping things cleaned up before Buffy showed up. After all, he can’t ascend as a nigh-omnipotent god snake thingy if all his sacrifices have already been eaten by the Master/Angelus/etc.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Found another fun little star wars music video:

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    My take was Buffy arrived in Sunnydale due to destiny/The Powers that Be. The Master's rising and Mayor being the two primary threats but hardly the only ones by demon cultists.

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Stranger Things 4.
    Most! Metal! Ever!

Loved that scene!

24. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Abel G. Peña put out a set of notes on Lone Wolf just last month that I didn't see any mention of here. I'm currently reading Skyewalkers, so I haven't gone through them yet, but I'm glad to see that he's still writing about SW.

25. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    okay, lets see if you can help me out:

Any Tenel Ka like characters in non-SW products? recommendations?

Also, what characters or other fandoms should I check out if I wanted the Dathomiri/Tenel Ka look/dresscode in art or to edit it into more SW fanart?

Gamiel likes this.