main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Part of me wonders whether this relates to the whole thing where they're centering (non-High Republic) stuff around the live-action shows, but at the same time doubling down on their opposition to recasting. Like, if that was on the table then I think that a Tarkin TV appearance - say in season two of Andor - would be plausible, but as it stands he's not as useful.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    RogueWhistler likes this.
  2. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I've been dreading a CGI-Tarkin appearance in Andor, but my hope is that the cost is to high to justify it for anyone but Luke,

3. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Plus Andor doesn't really do fanservice like that.

Vialco likes this.
  4. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    That's true, and something I really appreciate about the show, but it does have Yularen and Saw, which (narratively, not technically) I don't think is too far removed from a Tarkin appearance.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, I also get the general impression that CGI Tarkin was not super well-received, so they'd avoid it unless it was strictly necessary.

(Which also tends to reinforce my discomfort with the whole thing, because I thought the actor was actually just fine, and they didn't need to turn to him into Peter Cushing to play Tarkin.)

RogueWhistler likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    CGI Tarkin took a lot of time to shoot a very short actual on-screen time and cost a bomb. Same for Leia.

Eventually it'll get cheaper but I think that's some way away.

CaptainPeabody and Dream-Thinker like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that’s because of more exploration of the Dark Times.
    Palpatine disappeared from public view after ROTS and Vader seems to just do black ops (him being a household name would raise questions that Sheev doesn’t want people to ask) while Tarkin is a Governor, so Tarkin is the face that the average Imperial citizen sees.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Sauron_18 and PCCViking like this.
  8. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    I have sorta gotten the impression that Vader is less in the public eye in the Disney continuity than in Legends.

PCCViking and darklordoftech like this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Studio ghibli announcing a collaboration with star wars.

Probably an entry into the next season of visions, but honestly whatever it ends up being, even if not star wars at all, is very exciting.

....I sure would love for them to do some star wars pilot action though, that is for sure.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well this is pretty darned awesome. Studio Ghibli is in the perfect position to work with the GFFA right now.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It doesn't specify which LucasFilm property they're working on, so I choose to believe they're making a Monkey Island movie until proven otherwise.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    'Cause facebook sucks

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Dream-Thinker and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    It would be interesting/fun to see Palpatine's public-facing persona from Rebels show up in one of the live-action series. For all his reclusiveness, the Emperor is still very much the man most people refer to when they talk about Imperial leadership. And out-of-universe, it gives us a chance to see Ian McDiarmid acting once more with the least amount of makeup in a long time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would very much love that.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    In the A New Hope novelization, it states that Palpatine was seen as a recluse. Having such "public" appearances could help enforce that perception.

His public speeches could include claims that he would be out and about more often, if not for risk of assassination by the Rebels, that he is only "reluctantly" agreeing to both increased militarization and his own personal security measures.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks to Andor we now have the one liner for SW fandom:

No one is getting out.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Awarded: 12 minutes ago
    18-Electron Rule

What better way to commemorate 18 years on the boards than with an obscure chemistry joke?

Oh lord. Help. I'm old.

21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Every once in a while I rediscover how much I actually like Attack of the Clones. Like, I know it's generally regarded as the weakest of the Prequels, but it's so huge and full of stuff that I feel like I still don't really know it like I know most of the others.
    The Coruscant scenes alone are amazing -- not just because they tickle my cyberpunk nostalgia but because they make the ecumenopolis feel so huge and real and populated. I could totally do with a "Tales from the Skylanes", featuring all of the drivers whose day got interrupted by Anakin's and Obi-Wan's drone chase, or "Tales from the Outlander Club" obviously. And while I found Kamino dull and depressing aesthetically, finding out that it's the Republic who use the clones is a narrative sucker punch that still hasn't lost its impact on me. And packing them into proto-Star Destroyers to boot!
    Just a wonderful monster of a movie, massively underrated because of what came before and after IMO -- and (partly as a reason, partly as a consequence) sadly underserved by tie-in media, especially in terms of lead-up. The Approaching Storm is fine, but there is so much more potential to the time immediately before AotC, especially compared to what we got for TPM.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You haven't hit 20 years young one....

...well, not-so-young one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Yes, thank you, I am very much agreed, as the self-proclaimed #1 Attack of the Clones Fan who has been annoying all my normie and Star Wars-fan friends for years about this:
    When I watched it as a kid, I enjoyed the lightsaber fights but otherwise saw only the obvious flaws (i.e. I think Lucas legitimately wants us to be troubled or even disturbed by the Padme/Anakin romance, but also wants their scenes together to seem romantic and certainly not laughable--also I think he thinks that the political scenes are more gripping than they are) and for a long time thought of it as the worst Star Wars film by far.

It was only when I first watched it as an adult with my brother (a visual artist), after we both had gotten into more surrealist and visual and less plot-driven film-making, that we were both unexpectedly blown away by how extreme and surreal and terrifyingly effective it really is. Very underrated and very very under-followed-up-on.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  24. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Honestly, I don't think Attack of the Clones is the weakest of the prequels. In my opinion, that prize still goes to The Phantom Menace. My biggest problem with the film is that it doesn't really know who the main character is. It should be Obi-Wan Kenobi, but he's too out of focus and for a good chunk of the film he is literally stuck on the Queen's ship while everyone else is in Mos Espa. Qui-Gon Jinn is probably the closest thing that the film has to a main protagonist... and that's a problem for me, especially since he ultimately distracts from what should be the story of how Anakin and Obi-Wan meet. The two barely interact and I feel like that does hurt the rest of the prequel trilogy, including Attack of the Clones where their relationship is very negative and they spend a great deal of the movie apart. It's not until Revenge of the Sith that they feel more like friends and it was up to the EU instead of the actual films to give their friendship more weight. Qui-Gon Jinn also just makes really dumb decisions that I can't get behind, like not exploring other ways of getting the Queen off Tatooine or bringing a nine-year old to a warzone.

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Narratively, I think TPM is the weakest because it seems kind of disconnected from what is suppose to be the main story of Anakin. Qui-Gon is important, but Obi-Wan should be more prominent. 100%

AOTC, though, is the weakest in execution. It's an incredible world building film, but a lot of the writing is pretty bad. Stilted dialogue in the romance section and too much of Anakin as a petulant teenager rather and on the edge of becoming Vader, not enough of Anakin as the hero he was built up to be in ANH.

CosmoHender likes this.