main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    There was a thread on Twitter about which Star Wars character people would want to see in live-action, and reading though the responses really highlighted to me how there are two types of Star Wars fans.

Fan #1: Revan! Mara Jade! Starkiller! Thrawn!

Fan #2: Rotta and the Sun King from the Ewoks cartoon.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  2. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I just realized an easy way the prequel trilogy could have been improved... have Owen Lars appear in Episode I as one of Anakin's childhood friends.

cthugha and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Good idea.

I had an idea myself recently that Beru should have been Anakin's sister - I can't remember if her maiden name was established as Whitesun already, but honestly the PT retconed enough that what would have been one more? In any case, I think it could have added something to the characters involved and makes the Larses more involved in the plot.

Sarge, cthugha and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Even if Beru's maiden name was already Whitesun, that didn't necessarily mean that she and Anakin couldn't have been sisters. It was once canon that Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother despite their different last names. I think the potential implication may have been that Jedi change their names. Like Obi-Wan was born Ben Lars and he changed his name to Obi-Wan Kenobi after becoming a Jedi.

Xammer, QuinlanSolo and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I've started making my way through Adventure Time. First off, it's ****ing awesome. Second, there haven't been any noticeable SW references yet, until this latest episode I watched which features a giant living mountain that cries giant boulder tears. Yes, this show's first* Star Wars reference is to Mount Sorrow.

*I can't actually find any evidence that it's an intentional reference, but Pendleton Ward strikes me as the type of guy who might have been aware of the Ewoks comics, so I choose to believe it's the case.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Reposted from the meme thread.

Iron_lord, Dream-Thinker and Vthuil like this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chuck_Dixon

Fitting that Chuck Dixon wrote a Grievous comic, because nowadays he's writing neo-Confederate superhero comics about handing immigrants over to ICE. And making superhero comics about Q of Q-anon.

Yikes.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a sad way to end up.

9. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Yikes indeed.

TrandoJedi, FS26 and Alpha-Red like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ....ew wow. Not exactly a great "where are they now?" moment.

11. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Is it weird that we haven't gotten our own Tales From Takodana Castle novel yet?
    I bet credits to blue donuts that it would sell on a level as Tales From Jabba's Palace and Tales From Mos Eisley Cantina

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Maz is criminally under used as someone that can spin yarns about a millennium of galactic history, about Jedi and the underworld.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  13. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Both her and half of the other patrons we see in her castle during Force Awakens would have interesting tales behind their presence in the area itself

Jedi Ben, Dawud786 and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    So, this is new to me: there are people that believe Lucasfilm doesn't own the old Expanded Universe. Like, they belligerently believe that the publishing license Bantam, Del Rey and Dark Horse had confers ownership of the EU to those companies not LFL. Even when show the trademarks and copyright notices in the books.

Weird.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, it's the usual internet "I can absolutely assert that the earth is flat / 2+2=3 / we are in the Matrix" (delete as applicable) bollocks?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Dawud786 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's really bizarre, because it was used for why the sequel trilogy wasn't an adaptation of the EU.

I dont know why misunderstanding licensing is an easier means of understanding than not making movies that either adapt existing stories and having to mangle them in such as way as to still de-canonize the EU and alienate that fanbase and get their vitriol OR lose general audiences because you have 4 decades of major story and character development entirely off screen. It was either that or start fresh with a clean break.

Aside from having a cohesive vision of what was trying to be said that would have furthered and capped off the Skywalker family saga, we were still dropped into a sequel era that looked and felt far too much like the OT without justifying itself. We needed the transition. But it would have been far more jarring to pick up with 70 year old Luke and Leia, 80 year old Han, their granddaughter, 40 year old Jaina and 20 year old Ben with 3 massive galaxy changing wars all off screen.

*Edit* Apologies for the run-ons. Haha

Dream-Thinker and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Weirder is it can be argued the ST is drawing from EU - return of the Emperor, another Jedi purge, new superweapons, kid gone dark. It's all there.

QuinlanSolo and Dream-Thinker like this.
  18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It could easily be argued that it's a clever mash up of Dark Empire, LOTF and Legacy. One that's accessible to general audiences.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Ah, the Maclunky thread ... I've not stuck my head in here in a long time. A long time ...

Anyway, I just got the 18-Electron Rule trophy, and I wanted to somewhere state the utter inconceivability that my account is old enough to be a legal adult. If I'd made my first post when my hypothetical wife was in labor (and thinking of whom I was seeing at the time, that's it's own mini-nightmare, but I digress), that kid would be graduating high school. It's not okay that my account, and by extension it's owner, is this old.

Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Maclunky.

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Thanks for prompting me to find my trophies. I got Sweet Sixteen in December. I made my account 8 months after my eldest son was born. Haha

Jedi Ben, Gamiel and jSarek like this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That's a "novel" one (get it?), but not necessarily more or less out there than other ideas floating around the fringes (Disney is going to decanonize the ST due to fan backlash, etc). On the one hand I'd be interested in hearing the legal beagle(s) behind this theory answer some of the obvious questions it raises, but on the other I feel like I'd develop a headache in short order so maybe not.

Dream-Thinker and Dawud786 like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've got a less painful option for you involving these Imperial issue headphones....

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  23. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Anyone know what’s up with Joe Bongiorno’s Facebook page? Looks like he either took it down or made it private. Is anyone here on his Discord or know if he’s said anything about it? Still hoping to see him upload those German Ewoks comics one day.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    He said Facebook suspended his page. He appealed the suspension.

25. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Oh that’s a shame, I wonder what he got in trouble for.