main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel: looks like I'm going to need to find my horned stovepipe hat -

MercenaryAce and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Looking at that logo, and it seems pretty reminiscent of Warcraft III:

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

Wishing any other Muslim fans here, and everyone else frankly, a Happy Eid al-Fitr!

4. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I just realized that Dash Rendar is the Guybrush Threepwood of the GFFA. Guybrush was named after the sprite file (originally just named "guy", then "guybrush" by the designer). I couldn't find any info on the origin of Dash Rendar's name, but working on a video game and saying "so what do we name that guy now?" and hitting on "– render" seems like an obvious explanation.

5. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm getting all my different fictional universes mixed up. I keep thinking "pyjak" is from Star Wars...and just the other day I tried looking up "Torfan" on Wookieepedia.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Gamiel, Kato Sai and CampOfSorgan like this.
  6. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I am halfway through Matthew Stover's RotS... This is one of the best books I've ever read. And I've been an avid book reader for years. I've heard good things about it for a while, and I am very impressed. I was worried, because I've seen RotS so many times, that a novelization of it would bore me. But it has been absolutely fantastic. :vader::redsaber:

7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    That is why mine are now only AGFFA, Alien/Predator, and JP/JW.

CampOfSorgan and Alpha-Red like this.
  8. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    As exited as I am for tomorrow, I going to have to go to bed early tonight so that I can watch Visions Season 2 (and maybe Young Jedi Adventures, if I can fit it in) before I go to work in the morning.

Normally, they would drop stuff on Disney+ on Wednesdays, when I go to work late as part of my normal schedule. Oh well, it is what it is.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    <Sidious on> You can blame the Jedi for May the fourth.

Fortunately, it is followed by the revenge of the fifth. <off>

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    QuinlanSolo, cthugha, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    THIS IS THE MAY!

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hello! :)

It has been years and years since I’ve been on here. I’m not sure who all is still around from the old days or who will remember me, but I wanted to drop in and say hey! I have continued to love Star Wars in the time since I’ve been gone, but my focus has been more on DC/comics/superheroes.

A major reason for that is because I’m a published author now! I have written a series of superhero books and fulfilled my dream of being an author!

I have also been away because in the past five years, I’ve graduated college, gotten married, taken on two jobs, and now have a baby daughter! Life has been crazy, but I look back on my time here fondly and often.

Anyway, since The Mandalorian S3 I’ve been getting majorly back into Star Wars. I picked up “Shadows of the Sith” and I’m loving it, it’s such a good book! And I’m planning to jump into The High Republic soon, too!

Just wanted to drop in and say hey to the old guard who might remember me. I will try to be on every once in a while. I’m also active on Twitter as VigilantesArrow if anyone wants to follow me there, but I’ll try to stick around here a bit, too!

So hey, everyone! Hope all is well! [face_peace]

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Welcome back.

MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Dream-Thinker

May 20, 2020
    We haven't met, but you seem like a cool guy. Congratulations on becoming an author and starting a family!

MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks! :)

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Happy Star Wars Day all!

Have some AI art of Empress Jaina Solo-Fel in proto-Imperial Knight Armor:

[​IMG]

17. Dream-Thinker

May 20, 2020
    So, thanks to the news of David Lowery directing an episode of Skeleton Crew, I looked up his work as I was unfamiliar with him. Two things I found it is that his picture on Wikipedia has an amazing moustache and that his new movie "Peter Pan & Wendy" just came out on Disney+, which I of course have in order to watch Star Wars. Also, it has Jude Law as Captain Hook and we know that he's going to be in the new Star Wars show as well.

Now, I don't know if people know this about me, but I'm a big Peter Pan fan. So I watched it, and I actually liked it. It wasn't like "Hook" or "Neverland" or anything that really did anything new to the story, it was very much a classic retelling of the story most people know. Classic story, but updated for modern sensibilities (more diversity, less racist stereotypes, etc.) and the acting was quite good. Especially for Yara Shahidi as Tinker Bell, she was great at emoting without dialogue. Jude Law was also a great Hook, menacing but also capable of being sympathetic.

Not a particularly deep movie, but it was a fun one and it made me excited to check out his work for Star Wars, whenever that comes out.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Speaking of mixing up fictional universes, I've been re-watching a little bit of Agents of SHIELD on Disney+, and it's weird going back and forth between seeing Melinda May, and then Fennec Shand in Mandalorian/BoBF...

19. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Just finished Matthew Stover’s RotS :vader:for the first time. Fantastic (as everyone here already knows).
    The book does a really good job explaining Anakin’s decisions… something that isn’t done as well in the film IMO.

Only thing I can really nitpick about it is how it glosses over the battle on Kashyyyk. I was expecting a couple pages following Yoda there. But not a big deal at all.

Superb novelization. The way Stover writes kept me intrigued the whole book.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yeah the suspicion Padme is having an affair paranoia really would have helped the ROTS film.

Ghost and CampOfSorgan like this.
  21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    The battle of Kashyyyk is underdeveloped in Legends literature in general. Patricia C. Wrede's junior novelization of RotS has only about a page dedicated to Yoda evading the clone soldiers. Traviss's "Order 66" does have some more Kashyyyk scenes from before the battle proper, told from the point of view of Omega Squad, but they're pretty confusing and don't really add much IMO. The richest narrative source about the Battle of Kashyyyk is, absurdly, the Orientation Seminar speech from the EGtW's authors cut #9.

Nom von Anor and CampOfSorgan like this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Battle of Kashyyyk in ROTS film is underwhelming. I wish they would would have used the Kashyyyk designs from Kotor which were more like Endor and the Ewok locations. I would have loved to see Super Battle Droids, and Clankers climbing up trees to get at the Wookiee Warriors, Droidekas dropped by ships and rolling through Wookiees, and Yoda cutting down droids like Aragorn on the ladders of Helm’s Deep.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, sad to say, but no way are you getting that from early noughties Lucas.

Revanfan1 and Dawud786 like this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    And yet he had The Arena, with Windu decapitating Jango, Jedi being shot down by droids, Padme clawed by a Nexu, clones being slain, and more.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which is good but nowhere near Helm's Deep.

That said, if RotS wasn't so pressed for space, a more substantive battle could have been done.