main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm guessing the full amount of the $1 billion budget for all the Avatar sequels will have already been spent before Avatar 2 is even released.

2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The worst thing about longer movies is when they make comedies 2 hours. I mean 90 minutes is already really stretching it for a lot of comedy films.

Probably in part why I feel like I haven't seen a good comedy in forever. The last actually funny movie I saw was "We're the Millers" and that came out 8 freaking years ago.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I wouldn't mind George Lucas coming back to make his own thing... especially to disappoint the alt-right YouTube community that loves him now... even though he was and still is essentially a New Left "hippie" heavily influenced by the radical currents of the 1960s and 1970s.

Seriously, I know that "Doomcock" YouTuber says all sorts of things nowadays, but let him and his fans have his wish and be disappointed.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They confirmed that K-2SO will be in the Andor series, and will be played again by Alan Tudyk. But I think it was also noticed that Tudyk has not done work for season 1, so the assumption is that the series will start before Andor meets and reprograms K-2S0.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  5. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Wait - the alt right likes George Lucas now? I'm so incredibly confused.

On second thought, I probably don't want to learn anymore about this. Youtube is almost as bad as facebook (it's only better because unlike Facebook there's actual good content on youtube)

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Most of the Star Wars YouTube fandom sucks, imho.

They have the mistaken belief that George Lucas would've somehow not included more non-white or non-male or other demographics as time went on.

That somehow, the problem is Disney and Disney alone (and more specifically them including more women and more non-white people).

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Except I just gave you examples of fan service from a film that I like. The term is absolutely descriptive of something the feels added into the film for no other reason than to elicit some type of nostalgic reaction from fans, despite its contrivance. What other term is better?

On the other hand, people who deride the term are simply looking for ways to avoid criticism for enjoying contrived ‘storytelling.’ ;)

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Alt-Right are big fans of anything that was ‘before’. They can romanticize that whatever way they want to fit how ‘now should be’.

My hunch is Lucas would have brought the same character demographics as the Disney films - if not pushed it more. Plus Lucas would have created a story that seriously challenged the audience and our understanding of the Force, good & bad, and Star Wars in general. Lucas’s biggest crowd pleaser would have been even less focus on the main characters from the original Trilogy.

9. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

LOL - I guess they have never seen a picture of Lucas's wife.

In any case - as everyone knows... having women or non-white people in a movie is very political and we wouldn't want to make movies political.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They're the same idiots who complain how "woke" new Star Trek is as if it hasn't been that way since the 60s.

Gene Roddenberry was very much a Lefty.

But none of these people are really fans, they pretend to be so they can get outraged and appeal to gatekeeping purists who hate change.
    It's obvious most of them never watched these shows or movies, or haven't since they were kids & remember next to nothing.

Alpha-Red, TCF-1138 , mnjedi and 6 others like this.
  11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Do people really make that complain?
    Star Trek was super woke decades before it was cool.
    In fact, the old episodes I've seen feel almost preachy in how woke they are, the characters explicitly spell out pearls of wokeness in several lines of dialogue. It's not even subtle on that.

Alpha-Red, Sarge, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's still hilarious that right-wing Star Wars fans attacked Gina Carano for being a 'woke' choice to play a character that was obviously supposed to be a man if the Disney PC police hadn't forced them to use a woman who isn't even a good actor and without a single shred of self-awareness pivoted 180 degrees to Gina Carano is a hero actor that was one of the best things in the Mandalorian and was sacrificed on the altar of the PC woke cancel culture.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    You're surprised that those idiots will use every possible opportunity to complain about everything as if it's part of some leftist agenda?

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm surprised that a bigot would enjoy Star Trek in the first place, given that the franchise calls out their bigotry in almost every episode.

15. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Is cancel culture the thing were people don't hang out with you or invite you to parties if you're an ***hole?

Maybe I'm getting old, but in my day we just called that "not hanging out with ***holes"

DarthRamRod and Alpha-Red like this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    But much like with SW and many other things, they have an amazing ability to ignore obvious things that get in the way of their making those ridiculous statements. :p

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok, that's fair, but I think we can make the case that ST is way more explicit than SW on that front. All the philosophy around the futuristic improved society to which the ST characters belong is framed through the lens of what now we'd call wokeness.

In SW, well, there are some elements here and there but it's less obvious imo.

Sarge likes this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I was surprised that there were passionate Star Wars fans that decided it was the perfect hard sci-fi series that was grounded in realism and science.

19. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Obligatory:

[​IMG]

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why.

That bearded thumb with less human emotion than a houseplant made:

TPM - Terrible
    AOTC - Terrible
    ROTS - Terrible

ANH SE - Terrible
    ESB SE - Terrible
    ROTJ SE - Terrible

He also was the one who went to Spielberg with "evidence" that a fridge could survive a nuke, and wrote most of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Which was terrible from the second the rocket sled fight took place onwards.

Lucas is terrible. I know millennials have the misfortune of being weened on the PT and thinking that it's good just because they like it (It's bad and people should feel bad for liking it) but Lucas has done more harm for Star Wars than good. The good parts include letting others direct ESB and ROTJ, by the way, and selling the franchise to Disney who gave it content from real people who understand human emotion and dialogue. Disney's made one misstep which was trying to tailor the ST to the feedback they got. "TFA was ANH" cry unimaginative and boring people. So we get TLJ, which was "too radically different." So they make TROS to try and give fans the apparent content those neckbeard, grassphobic, terminally online complainers get and it's "trying too hard and has too much going on, plus the power creep is too much."

So , the idea that Lucas could come back to work on a project for Star Wars is one of the worst takes on the internet for this film series, which as the thread title confirms, is in fact terrible.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Let's say that if the PT are terrible we need to invent a more powerful word to properly label the monstruosity of the OT special editions.

mnjedi and Ender Sai like this.
  22. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Jabba in ANH was terrible. I'll say that.

Then Jedi Rocks in RotJ. I haven't met a single person who likes it.

FatBurt, mnjedi, blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    99% of the time I think getting mad about space wizard movies is lame. However, Jedi Rocks is indeed a crime against humanity.

I still think Greedo shooting first might be the worst change though. Not only does it make no sense, ruin the scene, etc... it's also horribly edited and completely janky. It's like an amateur youtube edit (and honestly I've seen better amateur work on youtube)

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I seem to remember a Motorcycle chase that was pretty good.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    @Ender Sai I think we should wrestle naked in mud until one of us dies

Coruscant, Sarge, TCF-1138 and 5 others like this.