main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CARDS Magic The Gathering

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Bale, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Anyone else around here play?

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I haven't played with actual physical cards since I was in high school. I do enjoy the video games that have been coming out the last few years as a cheaper alternative however. Even without full deck modification they are still pretty fun.

3. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    I dabble every now and then and by a pack or two every few months just to check out some of the new sets, but I've had a hard time getting really into any CCGs/TCGs since Decipher's run with Star Wars CCG. I just don't have the money or desire to put together a competitive deck and most of the people that I know who play are, unfortunately, the competitive types who think that a casual game just for fun is a waste of time . :(

4. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I haven't played online or Duels of the Planeswalkers, but I've heard Duels is a lot of fun. I've been fortuante to find a playgroup that is into casual play. None of us has the time or the money to spend on competitive.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm playing MTG 2013 game as I got it free on the xbox (free until the 15th), and I'm really liking it. I'm not sure I'll get into the card game like I did with Warlord though, as I knew lots of Warlord players back then and I don't know any players of either Warlord or MTG.

I have a few questions though. I notice there's a Theros prerelease event coming up and there's on not too far from me. It seems like a good place to try it out in person and maybe meet some people who might be near who I can meet up more locally. Do these events cost anything? Are the Prerelease Packs free? Does everyone play with the same deck? I'm going to lose a lot, aren't I?

6. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Duels isn't bad at all for the ~$20 you spend on it. Definitely worth a look for those who don't have the time/money/people for the paper game. That last one was my problem; after my local store closed and my friends started to move on I quickly ran out of people to play with.

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i first played it in 2001 when i was 10 with my brother, then i promply forget about it untill jan 2008 when my freinds were playing it in high school. i got my old cards out of storage and then started buying new cards starting with morningtide. i got really into it and went to tournaments at friday night magic every week for about 8 months. so for about 1 year i was obsessed with it, and buying cards then in late 2008 when shards of alara came out it brought with them a bunch of stupid changes that i disliked so i pretty much for the most part quit buying cards.

i bought packs every once in a while but not often. from then till 2010 i played very frequently and then stopped. in mid 2012 my next door neighbor started playing magic, and by then the only magic cards i was buying was all the duel decks that came out. we played every week and he got really good really quickly. so eventually i got my old deck out i used to use for tourney's (i didn't netdeck or even look at other people's decks at all so i lost almost all my matches. ) he actually won a majority of his matches at the tournaments and i faced his deck that he pretty much netdecked and we played and he just barely beat me, we played again and again and every time he would just barely beat me.

anyway he has a job and a wife and such so he has a large disposible income. most of my cards had come from the tourneys since in order to enter you paid 8 dollers and even if you lost you still got 2 packs. my neighbor is very intense about things so within 2 weeks of starting he had bought 4 booster boxes of the newest sets. he was so intense with it that within a month or 2 he was burned out of magic and he almost sold all his cards for a expensive pair of shoes.

so, yeah sorry about giving my life story, btw my tourney deck is a kithkin, we had a trading card club in high school and about 20 people would play magic, only 1 person ever beat my deck which was somone who goes to the tourneys.

a little word of advice wizards tries to advertise friday night magic as newbie friendly and casual, from my experience there is no diffrent from that and a pro tour, since majority of the people netdeck and even though they want to have fun they want to win really bad. so even though i liked playing it was very dissapointing losing almost every match unless someone was facing wasn't a veteran player,

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    'Netdecking'? I'm guessing that's looking up decks on the internet?

I put my name on the waiting list for the local Theros prerelease event. I'm 4th on the list which seems ok. I'm hoping there'll be someone from near me so I can play frequently.

9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Played since I was a teenager however lost interest in my 20's and on. Recently picked it back up and enjoying it :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.