main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Magnus Chase] Seeking the Past (Diary of Otis the Goat, DDC 2017) - Updated 7/21

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by s_heffley, Jan 5, 2017.

1. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    It’s been a while. I have a habit of doing that. But let’s continue.

While the night before was great, the real fun was about to begin. And when I say the real fun… well, you’ll see. Things got pretty intense, and not in a good way.

But before the wonderful and grand adventure began, I had another problem which I had to face. And that problem was: The Drix situation. I had no idea what I was supposed to say to him, if he had indeed recovered from my double kick. Seriously, you try knocking out your friend and stealing his/her date (actually, don’t do that). I tell you, it ain’t easy to deal with that decision (probably because it’s a bad decision). I eventually started hoping that he hadn’t recovered after all, and that a new adventurer who didn’t hate my guts would be joining Nico and I instead.

Alas, as I exited the Big House and made my way to breakfast at the fire, Drix was sitting right there. At that point I came up with the only solution I could: we’d be all awkward and barely talk to each other, until some life or death situation brought us together again. It’d be like all those cool stories.

I joined Nico and Will again. A bit away from us, I was glad to see a reunited Chiara and Damien talking and laughing (though there was a little bit of jealousy that would always remain). Sadly, this would leave Drix with no one to sit with, so he just sat near Chiron and tried to look cool.

“Hey Otis, why doesn’t Drix come and sit with us?” Will asked.

“No idea,” I lied.

As the meal began to wrap up, Chiron made an announcement, “Attention campers: Anyone who wishes to wish our heroes good luck on their quest today may meet us outside the woods after breakfast. That is all.”

“Wasn’t Chiara sitting with Drix yesterday, not with Damien?” Will said, bringing back up the topic. “Word was they broke up and Drix was having a date with her. Are she and Damien back together? And why were you with her last night, Otis?”

“She just… had some advice about the quest.” I made up. “She and Drix weren’t going on a date, they were just talking.”

“Strange, she didn’t offer me any advice,” said Nico.

“She probably figured you didn’t need it. You did help save the world multiple times, after all,” said Will. “Even so, why wasn’t she sitting with Damien yesterday? Did they not break up?”

“Oh no, I’m pretty sure they still did. Guess they made up?” I could admit that much. “All I know is, Drix and I had nothing to do with it.” I lied. “Guys, we’re just about to go on a super dangerous quest. Is this really the time for gossip?” I added, trying to halt the conversation there before it reached a point where I could no longer lie my way out. I don’t know if either of them fully believed me, but they at least decided to drop it. The conversation went down other avenues, and I could breathe a sigh of relief.

Soon, I found myself standing on the edge of the woods with a crowd of campers around me. Drix still wouldn’t make eye contact with me, and Chiron rounded everyone up for a speech. Nico stood with his sword sheathed, telling me that he would keep it that way until he needed to use it. He claimed it looked so cool, that the big reveal when he finally yanked it out would be sick. Drix had his magical Reed Pipes, and I was told Chiron has a special presentation for me in regards to defense. Although I was extremely nervous now that my quest literally lay before me, I was pretty excited to see what cool thing Chiron had to give.

Chiron began, “I know nerves are always running high before a quest, for both participators and friends alike. But I have full confidence in this group. Nico, of course, one of the most experienced questors at camp. Drix, a capable satyr and necessary to navigate these certainly easy to get lost in woods. And Otis, well, he’s Otis.” That drew a laugh andtpretty much described my life. “But the prophecy believes in you, and so do I. The others already have what they need to defend themselves, but I offer you this.” The words hung in the air for a few seconds. “I said, I offer you… this!” Still, nothing happened. “Paolo, that’s your cue!”

I looked around to see a hispanic kid standing behind me, clutching a wooden box. “Eu não falo inglês!” he said.

“Oh come on, don’t do this now Paolo,” said Chiron. Still, Paolo just stood there. “Fine. I’ll play it your way. Eu te ofereço isso!” Paolo rushed forward to hand Chiron the box. Chiron opened it. Dramatically, of course. And in slow motion, how about that too. Whatever you want to imagine to make opening a box cooler. He lowered the box to me so I could see the contents (still in slow motion), and I laid my eyes upon what would be my weapon.

It certainly wasn’t what I was expecting, though what that was I can’t really say. It was a unicorn horn, with an elastic strap attached. My first thought was Cool, this thing is supposed to go around my head! And my second thought was Wait, I already have horns, I’m gonna look so stupid with a third horn!

“A gift from Athena to her daughter, a young camper who used to come here who was obsessed with unicorns. She played with it a lot then, but as she grew older she tossed it aside. No one has wanted it since then because, on one hand, it makes you look kinda silly, and on the other, it takes all the fun out of combat. Since it was made for someone so young, the horn moves around and fights on its own. However, it’s perfect for you, Otis, not having any way to brandish a weapon on your own.”

“Does it talk?” I asked

“Talk? No, I’m pretty sure it doesn't.” Chiron said.

“Darn. My friend Magnus has a sword that does that. It works pretty much in the same way. Except, whatever his sword does, he feels tired as if he’s the one who did it. Does the horn work that way?”

“It might,” responded Chiron. “Like I said, It’s been forever since it’s been used.”

Chiron took the horn out, handed the box back to Paolo, and wrapped the elastic strap around my head. “How do I look?” I asked him.

“Great,” he said. I had no way of knowing if he was being truthful or not. Even if I did look stupid, I could live with it. One of the best goats I had ever known, Arthur, had been born with three horns. How I remembered Arthur and not my parents or where I came from, I can’t tell you.

The assembled campers then went around to wish us good luck. Several of what I guessed were nature spirits talked to Drix. I got a good luck from several campers I didn’t know, as well as a boa sorte from Paolo. Will wished me a good luck as well, before hugging Nico and saying, “Do me a favor and don’t come back.”

Chiara and Damien approached me. Damien gave me a pat on the back, while Chiara said, “Good luck, champ. You got this,” before giving me another hug.

Champ, so dreamy.

When all the campers were done, Chiron asked, “Are you ready?”

Nico didn’t hesitate at all in his affirmation. Drix was more skeptical, but nodded his head nonetheless.

“Otis?”

“Not really, no,” I said. “But it has to be done.”

Chiron nodded. “Alright. Here’s a crude map Apollo made when he went into the forest recently.” He handed the map to Drix. “It’s not perfect, but hopefully it will be good enough to help you find the geyser spirits Pete and Paulie. They organise events for nature spirits in the forest, and may have some information on this “god long thought dead.” Finally, remember that the forest is dangerous, filled with many different perils and monsters. Never let your guard down.” He paused. “I think that’s it. Good luck heroes!”

With that, our trio turned and started for the forest.

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Otis, you rival Paris Hilton in wanting to live/be cool.

This is so touching, how real and true and high schoolish everyone is, even Chiron with his theatrics.

It's nice when others put in their own reasons for actions when you yourself can't think up a lie quickly enough.[face_worried]

I'd love to read more about her and her daughter! And it's grand to see this story once more.@};-

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    s_heffley likes this.