main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The Will Wheaton interview with the writer and director is actually worth watching imo. Those two are definitely huge fans and get the character. The episode also has a clip of the composer of the theme music, who talks about incorporating Picard’s flute into the music. He even knew the name of the episode. There is a lot of love for TNG and Picard that went into this show.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, the fear with these things (as we are all well aware) when revisiting beloved characters after so long is that they won't be the same, and that new writers will write them completely differently and out of character.

I was sold immediately, it was Picard. I hope it continues to be so.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Hearing Russo talk about his thoughts on writing the Picard series theme I really love it now lol

BigAl6ft6 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, is the aftershow with Wil Wheaton also on Amazon Prime by now?
    After i watched "Remembrance", i didn't see anything about it.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I watched it on YouTube so they’ve made it readily available for free.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Thank you. Can't wait to watch it.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, going to have to watch this one weekly.

It looks great, the Federation has always had very wonky patches before sorting itself out and getting back to its more idealistic self so that works too.

The idea of synths developing is a smart one.

And Picard’s verbal evisceration of pushy dodgy journalist was a delight.

Practically this does shelve the Trek books as they were, but those books got a 20-year run and never expected to run as long as they did. I know there are plans to try it keep it all going but short of playing the multiverse card, no bad thing, I can’t see a way. The books are the definition of a niche product.

Talking of books, the upcoming Picard one should be excellent given its McCormack. Although, I was also very happy Kirsten Beyer’s name on the creative team, she managed the impossible on the books by making the Voyager relaunch excellent! Her Discovery work has been good too.

Glitterstimm, Nobody145 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Excellent start. It moved much faster than I thought it was going to. Seeing Picard and Data together again was goosebump material.

So the romulans are living on a reconditioned borg cube and keeping Soji close to hand. At least that's how it appears. Is this where they were taken after the evacuation or is this there own idea? Are they still sympathetic to starfleet or are this bunch a breakaway sect out for revenge for abandoning the evacuation? Are Picard's home helpers in on it or are they genuine? Is the decommissioned synthetic centre set actually a shopping mall cafe?

Btw, I want that dog.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Well, I'm glad to see it didn't suck. Not perfect, but I actually like the pacing and the feel--it's definitely not just TNG Season 8, but to me it still feels like it's set in the same universe while being it's own thing. :) Still ways to go but so far, definitely smoother than Discovery (which I didn't outright hate like some, but I wouldn't pretend either season was all that...cohesive).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lal sort of got a shout out with Picard saying "Data always wanted a daughter." but I do agree a more direct line between the two would be nice. I was feeling it anyway rewatching The Offspring if only because they're both petite brunettes. And as I mentioned, one of Lal's final lines is "painting...daughter" which is literally in the episode.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well I liked it.

"Dosh". Her deliveries reminded me of the first few seasons of STNG as she needs to settle into her character, but the thing is she is perhaps doing it right since she is essentially a new being thrown into situations she doesn't know how to deal with emotionally. But, well, better acting is needed. But she doesn't suck.

I kept thinking he is finally showing his age and I thought it was a nice touch that he had trouble getting up the stairs.

All the look of technology was good, Romulan ships too...new Birds of Prey.

I guess this might go in a spoiler so

Oh look, the Romulans have a Borg cube and Data's daughter is in the friggin middle of it.

I'm not sure how far I want them to go with bringing back the old. Meaning we already know various cast members will be there, will they all get together and command a ship again?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I was getting definite Blade Runner vibes from it. Off-world synths rebelling on Mars, now outlawed etc

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting note that TNG ended with a poker game and Picard opens with a poker game for symmetry and they also incorporated "blue skies" in a creepy tune that Data/B4 sang in Nemesis so the ending of both TNG movies and TV series are in that one scene.

I kind of hope B4 blew himself up by opening a pringles can or something.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahah harsh!

[​IMG]

K2771991, Gamiel and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

I love the Quantum Archives.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

:p

Seriously, the above picture gave me the Jedi archives vibe. :)

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I took the plunge earlier than planned. But I came across the relevant Children of Mars spoiler and my Fleet Junkie instincts could no longer resist.

SHO 206: Children of Mars

An interesting little character piece that maybe goes on for a little too long, but is sustained by the choice of music. The larger events at the end are pretty drastic for Trek overall, though- the loss of Utopia Plantia removes a longstanding element of Starfleet (Fleet Junkie tears :( ). It is nice to have Mars play a role in things, though- as it is mostly ignored prior to this.

Since I was spoiled about the end events before watching this, I could see where the main story was going, though. I imagine not knowing that ahead of time would leave it a bit more open in terms of direction.

PIC 101: Remembrance

Pretty good first episode that surprised me a couple times. It has a very strong cinematic look to it that surpasses anything else we’ve seen in the franchise to date. It’s just gorgeous to look at. And Stewart returns to the role strongly. At first he seems tired but that is where Picard is as a person- when he gets pushed during the interview, you can see the old Picard moral stand firing him up and the curiosity that awakens drives him forward.

Having the girl not be a new Borg Queen as was speculated about from the trailers but rather be an offspring of Data was a clever direction to go in, as it makes Picard’s involvement in protecting her make more sense. Introducing the Rogue Synths angle is also something different and a nice contrast to relevant plotlines in TNG. Plus we get a nice modern look up close at a Galaxy-class, so hard to complain there, either ;).

Picard reinforcing or valuing the girl's memories, even if they aren't real, was a touching reassurance that you could tell resonated with him likely due to his Inner Light experiences (not to mention the crazy number of false memories and realities he and his crew have endured over the years).

Thematically it’s interesting how, via the (right wing-equivalent) reporter’s line fo questioning, that they’re using the Romulan cataclysm as a metaphor for current anti-immigration/refugee views and how those views betray the principles of principled institutions. The whole “*Romulan* lives” vs “*Lives*” exchange being something you could insert “Mexican” or “Syrian”, etc into and get the cold arguments being made in the era of Trump.

On a semi-canon note, Countdown is now rendered not canon due to the difference in B4’s fate here (he did not become Captain Data of the Enterprise-E, as he did in the comic) but they seem to be maintaining some of the other broader strokes. Most notably the connection between the Romulans and their research into salvaged Borg tech (which is what they used to upgrade Nero’s Narada from a freighter into the techno-monster it became). So, I think I’ll continue to treat Countdown as mostly canon for now, even if I have to look at it squinty eyed to ignore the Data stuff,

It is, however, a shame that the Borg Cube reveal is spoiled by the opening title sequence. Yeah, I know we knew that from the trailers but those who get to approach this fresh in the future will have that reveal undercut by that element of the sequence.

Speaking of the title sequence, I like it. It’s very subdued and maybe not as strong in the middle (I would have liked to have seen the puzzle pieces assembly aspect emphasized more beyond the start and finish) but it feels respectful and the theme music itself is more memorable/catchy than Discovery’s (while both Discovery’s and Picard’s themes are presented in a way that makes them feel like background music rather than main themes, Picard’s theme, unlike Discovery’s, sounds like its an intentional romantic presentation of a theme that could easily go bigger and bolder when needed). The flute aspect also kinda calls back to The Inner Light as well, so it's thematically linked.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I'm thinking Inner Light might be due for a rewatch at some point too as relevant. Probably Tapestry too, if we don't get our Q fix (which I am not ruling out but as powerful as Q is, he's kind of a single episode character and not a big arc character cuz his episodes twist tonally)

I do like the analogy that the Romulans could be seen as a repressed immigrant minority and Picard straight up plays into those in power not looking out for a larger humanitarian good with Picard straight up shouting "It wasn't Starfleet anymore!!"

Although about what those Rommies and humans are doing at the end
    I mean, it could be something like they're rebuilding a Borg cube for good reasons (I mean, I don't know how one could build a Borg cube and have benevolent intentions at heart though), I am totally okay if Picard himself is proven wrong that "Yeah, no, sorry, the Romulans are still universe conquering evil folk who are trying to remake the freakin' Borg". Maybe they're building it for science stuff related to synths and then you get a gat-damn Borg invasion because, as stated before, THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. Like Q himself said

[​IMG]

I'm also of the opinion that Picard's bad dreams aren't just bad dreams, considering he has heard the collective in his head. Although you'd figure they'd be more Borg related than Data/synth related.

As for the B4/Data Countdown comic, hey, maybe B4 became Data for like a week or something (really active Romulan supernova week) but as mentioned he's an "inferior copy" and then exploded opening a can of pringles.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they're rebuilding a Cube- it's reclamation. It's more like they're ripping it apart for study and salvage.

21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    The Countdown comic from 2009 was never canon. It already got contradicted with the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How so? It was outlined by the guys who wrote the film, as a prelude to their film. I know Trek comics are never officially canon, but that series always held more weight than others in a pseudo-canon way due to that connection. And, as we're seeing now, it is an influence on Picard, even if it no longer fits 100%.

EDIT- Unsurprisingly, Picard set records for CBSAA streams, up oger Discovery's former record by 115-180%.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Nobody145, Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't think that the original Countdown comic fits the continuity at all. In the comic, Data was "resurrected" in B-4's body. In Picard, we see that B-4 was actually disassembled.
    The comic had Picard become an Ambassador. In Star Trek: Picard, we learn that he actually became Admiral and stepped down not long before the supernova.
    In the comic, the star that went supernova wasn't the sun of the Romulan system.
    It doesn't mean anything if the tie-in material is written by the authors of the show. It has happened before that they contradicted their own tie-in material while writing the shows.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Right- that's what I said in my initial comments. All the contradictions you mention are the reasons why, with Picard, Countdown is no longer in line with canon. Prior to this show, there was no film/show material that contradicted it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 2 went live this morning. Just starting it now, but pretty great teaser. I'm wondering if this'll follow the DIS model of the first two-three episodes really forming the pilot.