main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Is not pro PT clip per se, but it beats the popular prejudice that Lucas suddenly changed his mind about PT main ideas and everything fell apart (which is of course ridiculous).

Subtext Mining likes this.
  2. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The acting of all the kids in the first Harry Potter movie is just soo artificial and unnatural. That is the problem: the viewer feels that they just read their text from the auto queue. Is not that some kids are less emotional or odd in their behaviour, in the first Harry Potter movie it looks like they are trying to play something they are not. Jake Lloyd was natural. Anakin should be a 'funny little boy' and that is what we see in the movie. But even if someone doesn't like Lloyd's acting what happened as fan reaction was just unthinkable. Adult fans acting like 9 years old angry kids to a child who happens to be an actor. Despicable, real shame for the SW fan community.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think it just comes down to what people want to see. The other finalist in the documentary was some kid who was injecting all kinds of pathos and barely-below-the-surface darkness into his performance, and whenever prequel detractors see that they immediately go, "That kid should have been Anakin." There's no mistaking the fact that these people wanted a darker, grittier movie starring an obviously incipient "demon-child" (as Lucas puts it).

But that's not what Lucas wanted. Lucas even acknowledges that that kid is more of a trained actor and would be easier to work with, but he just didn't have the natural earnestness and sweetness that Jake Lloyd had and which was the primary quality Lucas was looking for.

e: And that's what's so sad about all the troubles Jake Lloyd has had since then. He really was that kid. And then life (and, thanks to his fame, some stuff larger than life) got to him. I just hope he's managed to get back to that place somewhat, or at least that he will be able to someday.

4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^Whatever acting chops Jake Lloyd may or may not have, I'm glad Lucas chose to show Anakin as an innocent, well meaning kid in TPM.

5. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That was so superficial and hollow that it's cringeworthy. But then again, it's BuzzFeed...

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yeah, that's about what you can expect from Buzzfeed. But still, at least it wasn't a hollow list of, "This Is Why The Prequels Suck" that we were subject to for years.

Tonyg likes this.
  8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's weird how they objectify each male character with weird nicknames, when Buzzfeed is usually the one condemning sexism and objectifying females and what not.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Thanks for posting the buzzfeed article, but I really wish she would have gone into a bit more elaboration. How do you mention Mace Windu and neglect to point out that it is the only role in Samuel L. Jackson's career in which he actually disappears into his character? And no, we didn't need Alderaan to replace Naboo, although I would have been perfectly ok with Alderaan replacing Utapeau in Revenge of the Sith. And calling cgi Yoda trash????

10. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Sorry if this has already been posted but here is a long youtube video that includes a criticism of the militant Star Wars fans and a defense of the prequels and special editions. The prequel defense starts at 41:52 and ends at 1:06:17

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I hear a lot of criticism of Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu simply because Lucas didn't typecast him as a profane, Jules Winnfield-esque smartass. Instead he's calm and serene, but with the hint of a great intensity lying just beneath the surface. I think SLJ pulls it off well.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's because it's Sam Jackson playing Mace Windu that the EU made up that 'edgy, dark side-y' BS called Vapaad for the character.

13. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    I started to re watch the star wars films in anticipation for the last jedi and decided to make a few videos on it. Starting with Ep 1

14. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, AussieViking, you're certainly one opinionated little Australian dude. That's cool. I guess we're finally there, with now-adult fans who grew up with the PT—fans who overall prefer said trilogy over its predecessor, and with an equal degree of complex, idiosyncratic articulation as those before who, for so long, we're slanted against it.

It's strange; even being a longtime hardcore fan of the PT (I've always ranked both trilogies about the same), to hear a casual disposition such as yours, I'm nonetheless starting to feel so...obsolete. Retired.

[​IMG]

scuiggefest likes this.
  15. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Opinionated? I am one of the least opinionated humans you would ever meet. 90% of the time I respect others opinions but sometimes I do let loose. I mean hell in the video I said that it's fine to enjoy and hate what one such as my self would have the opposite view with. But hey you can either Agree or disagree either way no skin of my back.

16. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Then "opinionated" wasn't the word I was looking for; sorta forgot its negative implication. Let's see ...contemplative.

That's what I meant.

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure, compared to puppet-Yoda, CGI-Yoda is trash.

That's pretty incredible considering the new movies are trying to hypnotize us into forgetting the prequels ever existed.

Jamie Jirak strikes me as someone who is one of those who still feels they have to concede some points to those who don't like the movies. Calling the CGI Yoda trash is one of the more bizarre ones and the new movies trying to forget the prequels is evidently not the case so saying that is just denying reality.

Never mind everything else probably the number one moment of the new Star Wars movies so far (certainly R1) was the right out of the prequels Vader slaughter scene complete with chorus.

Didn't see this recent article before:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-the-leggiest-blockbusters-ever/#49efd0c538ab

Yes, I know, we all allegedly hate The Phantom Menace. It destroyed our childhood, wrecked Star Wars, etc., etc. But it also made an unholy amount of money in the summer of 1999. It earned $431 million in domestic release (around $754m adjusted for inflation) and $924m worldwide (on a $115m budget) sans any kind of IMAX or 3D upcharges, which was the third-biggest domestic grosser (behind Titanic's $600m gross in 1997/1998 and Star Wars lifetime total of $460m) and the second-biggest global grosser (behind Titanic's $1.8 billion gross) ever at the time.

Nonetheless, the numbers speak for themselves. Lots and lots of folks saw The Phantom Menace in the summer of 1999. And, more importantly, despite its reputation as a franchise-killer, it was relatively well-liked by the general audiences (kids and otherwise) who just wanted a fun Star Wars movie. You can get a $105 million five-day debut from hype and anticipation. But you don’t get $431m total from a $64m Fri-Sun opening weekend without folks being at least somewhat satisfied, going back multiple times and/or recommending it to their friends.

18. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Fair enough. From your last post it seemed like anothers perspective is mentally taxing and possibly pain inducing Since you describe yourself as being obsolete/Retired. That's not mentally healthy and you should probably see a professional for help.

19. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, no, that was more about how people of a certain age showing their full-on love for the PT is gradually becoming a norm. Not taxing at all; it's just making me feel old-er.

20. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Ah fair enough. On the bright side you are only as old as you act. Be a child at heart and you will be forever young.

21. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Hmm double post

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009

AussieViking and Ingram_I like this.
  23. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Got My Video Up on Ep2 Now

Alienware and mes520 like this.
  24. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    Alienware and Subtext Mining like this.
  25. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    AussieViking: I really like your videos, keep it up. :) And I really laughed at the 5:00 part of the Episode II video. I totally agree on Jango, and also on deleted scenes.

Episode II is a 10/10 movie for me, which is why it always stings a little when I see people take a dump on it.