main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mandalore (the Planet) Speculation

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by godisawesome , Dec 20, 2020.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, exactly. Hence why I initially took it as an inconsistency since Gideon refered to the Siege of Mandalore and The Night of a Thousand Tears as one event.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Ah, OK. So we’re talking about another event then. The Purge, mentioned by Paz Vizsla in Mando S1, looks to be the event shown in this recent BoBF episode, and looks to be different from the original Siege of Mandalore from TCW. So the Purge is the Siege of Mandalore 2 and the Night of a Thousand Tears is only part of the second siege.

You know, another implication of this recent BOBF episode is that it really complicates spoiler tag policies…

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    TadoFett and Riv_Shiel like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That’s why I use tags unless I’m posting in the episode thread where spoilers should I think be expected. Like I’m not going into an episode thread right after an episode dropped without realizing I’m probably gonna read stuff about the episode.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Remember that Luke Skywalker thread that was started circa five minutes after The Rescue had aired? Yeah, don't do that. :p

5. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    We were using spoiler tags no problem until the discussion about spoiler tags began...

My post quoting Gideon only directly discusses Mando Season 1.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It looked like TIE Bombers nuked the surface of the planet while some sort of chain reaction occurred in Sundari which caused an explosion that dwarfed the nuclear explosions. Perhaps the destruction from within of some kind of main power generator for the domed city.

Bor Mullet, TadoFett and MercenaryAce like this.
  7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I thought the TIE bombers were using conventional munitions at first, probably incendiaries. It's difficult to tell but the Empire seemingly using droids and no troopers and the lack of any resistance in that scene also suggests WMDs.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That was my thought as well. The Empire isn't normally big on droids, so using them to finish off survivors implies there was something nasty lingering in the planet's environment.

Come to think of it, I also wonder if those droids might still be there, preventing any survivors from returning and trying to repair the environmental damage.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I get the impression the Empire was being as thorough as possible because the Mandalorians' reputation. They could have BDZ'ed the whole planet but no, they got up close and personal and made extra certain to wipe out potential survivors.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    A world that’s actively trying to kill you… that feels like a “curse” that would make everyone who goes there die.

It also makes Mandalore feel like an active Wasteland, like in the Arthurian mythos - it’s not just a mundane wasteland that's hard to survive, but a terrifying place trying to hurt and harm you, with a secret, quest-fulfilling place of magic possibly located deep within it.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Actually, that reminds me of something...the armorer said something about Din washing away his sins in the living waters under the mines...what if that isn't just hyperbole or metaphor, but there is something is actively alive about the deep water supplies of the planet, and that something has been twisted by the weapons the empire used, making the planet hostile? It might literally be cursed...

...Nah, I am probably overthinking it. Though this is a series with a nose lizard vision quest that allowed Boba to find some wood despite there clearly being no wood in walking distance...

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Damn look at Mandalore, the terminator feeling.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It could be either -

In a Galaxy with Dagobah and Tython, let alone stuff like The World Between Worlds, a Force-infused pool deep underneath Mandalore would be appropriate. But so would a humble, mundane pool of dirty water beneath a death world, where the journey alone could justify treating it like a holy experience.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Ok so anyone think when this might have happenned. The Great Purge of Mandalore. It seems to be after Rebels but maybe before Rogue One/ANH. The death star would be used on Mandalore first if not i think.

Mandalore trough different stages in the era.

15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Using the Death Star on Mandalore would never happen IMO. The Empire wants Mandalore's beskar, and there's no other known place else in the galaxy the ore can be mined.

Probably why we see how they use huge-yield bombs, likely nuclear, to destroy the planet's surface, rather then destroying the planet outright

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how long the emperor reacted to Mandalore rebelling against him and his empire. Lothal being freed from Thrawn with Ezra seems to be close to events of Rogue One/ANH. So I wonder is this pre-OT or during it.

If its pre-OT, I can see this event being covered in Andor if Mandalorian season 3 dosent cover the Purge of Mandalore in more detail.

I also wondered if Grand Moff Willuff Tarkin was somehow involved in this. He has been involved in every other planets destruction. Even Kamino's, he made sure to hologram the admiral and said "You may fire when ready".

17. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The DS was only ready to be used on Jedha and not before, Tarkin was solely focused on getting control of the DS by that stage. After that his evil mind was focused on finding the Rebel base and stopping the DS plans getting to Rebels, while Gideon was assigned with Mandalore.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I bet Grand Moff Tarkin gave Moff Gideon a phone call like he did to Rampart when he told him to fire when ready.;) Also was probaly Tarkins idea when Palpatine just wanted to destroy the whole planet.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  19. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Considering Tarkin's rivalry with Krennic, I can see him having an equally acrimonious rivalry with Gideon too. That might be something fun to explore in flashbacks of TM season 3.

20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Yeah they want the Beskar....but...
    would nuking the entire planet make the Beskar radioactive and unusable? I think it is called Neutron Activation.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Imagine if we get a flashback to Moff Gideon just before The Great Purge of Mandalore, and we get Grand Moff Tarkin cameo. He is the guvernør of the outer rime systems, so he might need Tarkin s approval.

Sproj and Django Fett like this.
  22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    It would be unbelievable, almost on par with Luke appearing in the season 2 finale.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually kind of *hope* it still has Imperial droids roving the surface and caverns of the planet, just to make it an active death-world and to help explain some of the hesitancy Mandalorian have to return when the Empire has been defeated (at least enough for the Armorer to get a sour gloat in about it).

It also occurs to me that Mandalore may be integrated into lore as a good example of why the Rebellion always pursued decentralized organization, disparate hidden bases on abandoned planets, and in general avoided allowing themselves to be stationed on any major world as their main HQ. The Purge of Mandalore showcases the Empire's willingness to pursue excessive, civilian-targeting and civilization-destroying tactics towards the softer part of an enemy.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Do you think we're going to finally see a Mythesaur (spelt wrong, I know) on Mandalore?

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yess and Din will ride it with darksaber ignited.