main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mandalore (the Title)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Boba Fett., Jan 29, 2022.

?

Who will become the new Mandalore ?

1. Din Djarin

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Boba Fett

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Bo-Katan

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. The Armorer

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Paz Vizsla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Obi-Wan Kenobi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I should probably stop speculating like this. :p

I did the same thing with The Book of Boba Fett, trying to convince myself that all of the things that weren't working for me would make sense in the end. Right now I'm trying to convince myself that Grogu and Din reuniting as soon as they did was for a good story reason and not because Grogu is just too darn marketable.

Sproj likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I am guilty of this. It didn't end well.
    This will also not end well.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    "Perhaps we could abolish the title and have a representative system of government, with some kind of council of people with experience in the fields they are in charge of?"

"What, like Satine did? No, we are sticking to sword law if it kills us all for a 27th time"

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They tried that and it failed, Satine was also the extreme the other way with forgetting their warrior ways.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Thats more of Death Watch's propaganda than actual fact. Satine had a powerful para-military force that Death Watch could not subvert or outright defeat by themselves.

The more I think about Mandalore being just abandoned during the OT or after, I find not very likely since Mandal Motors and Mandal Hypernautics has been building various kinds of ships the whole time. So there has to be industry there,lol.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    What kind of para-military force?
    The portectors of Concord Dawn?

7. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    The mandalorian guard.

[​IMG]

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Cant see picture, is it her body guards or the Mandalorian police force. But they still departure from their Mandalorian warrior culture.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Both of them, but I imagine there were way more of the police force.

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes, Satine's Mandalorian Guard which was para-military city and planet wide security-police force, along with her Royal Guards(Protectors) .

clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Satine had the Protectors on her side, even if they were wearing ceremonial suits instead of their armor, which implies to me that there must have been significant numbers, even a majority, of the traditionally armored clans and houses that bought in enough on her politics to not just let her rule, but still send members to join her Protectors and police force, and to die for her cause, alongside those who apparently were willing to support her even when Death Watch started killing civilians simply hoping to provoke some kind of more aggressive response.

So however we slice it, most Mandalorians either didn’t have investment in the “old ways” at the time or saw they could serve some version of the old ways in defending the New Mandalorian regime (the Protectors.)

Man, this really just make me want to see Fenn Rau or some successor give the Protector POV now!

12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Everything in the story so far points to Din becoming Mandalore, but I just don't see his character as a leader. Although, at the same time, someone's got to get that sabre off him if it's not going to be him.

I do wonder if Boba is gonna pass the Mos Espa throne to Cobb? (Hence the mid credit scene). And he's certainly been re-characterized as more of an ethical leader.

But then there's Bo who believes the right is hers.

And Sabine, of course.

I dare say there's one or two new Mandalorian characters that are in the running... maybe a ManDelorean?

EDIT:
    I wrote my entry into this thread while reading page 3. Lo and behold on page 4 I see we think along similar lines.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    At the conclusion of season 1, when Grogu is named a Mando foundling and Din gifts him the Mythosaur necklace, I suspected that Grogu is the real subject of the show’s title, and that he will eventually become the next Mandalore. Season 2, and the Mando episodes in BOBF, further cemented that. Din will help lead the charge to retake Mandalore with Grogu’s help, and Grogu will be the one to lead the Mandalorians once it’s retaken. For he will tame the Mythosaur, just as he tamed the Rancor.

Sproj likes this.
  14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The living waters of Mandalore sounds like the waters of life found on Dathomir . Suggests possibly that Djarin will receive something along the lines of the Holy Spirit. Maul kept the darksaber sword on Dathomir and he did no use it during the Siege of Mandalore that he orchestrated, so who knows what kinda magic he was doing with it,lol.

Bo-Katan never made it a point about obtaining the darksaber in Season 7 either. She wanted revenge, she along with Korkie and friends were just attempting to reinstall the prior government she helped topple that we saw a little of back Season 5. But there was no sign of Korkie Kryze, so by Season 7 it looks like Bo-Katan wanted to set herself up as the new leader following her original plans with Pre Vizsla and she used the Jedi and Republic that eventually became the Empire and Gar Saxon pulls an Almec and assumes control later on .

Seems like one of the main reasons for the New Mandalorian way was primarily the rejection of the cult of the darksaber and the warmonger ways of constant feuds and wars of conquest they waged . Pre must have feigned ejection of it since he was a part of the New Mandalorian government when he first meet him. Did Satine still know about the darksaber in Pre's possession , but did it matter since the New Mandalorian regime exited without.

But during the Dark Times now the swords significance came back to haunt and bite, since it was stolen from Maul. Maul warned Bo-Katan twice on TCW:

Unfortunately for you, history will not see it that way - Darth Maul

Is that anyway to treat your rightful ruler? - Darth Maul

15. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    And I suspect eventually, he will unite with Rey - Jedi and Mandalore together and this will be the way forward as a new non-Sith threat confronts the galaxy whenever they eventually go beyond episode 9.

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Din lacks the assertiveness and ambition generally associated with a leader character... but in terms of his personality, empathy, and awareness, he conforms better to some of the leadership traits necessary to be a good one, morally and strategically, than the other big name Mandos.

Bo is too myopic, rigid, and self-serving, even as an antihero, to be the type of Mandalore the clans and people need; she's needlessly acerbic, too nationalistic, and inflexible when dealing with others, which exacerbates her feuds with other Mandos even though she's got the assertiveness and tactical ability for the job. Boba has become a better person and something of a leader, but his moral code is more "enlightened cooperative self-interest" on one hand and a bit too trusting on the other (to some fans' consternation.) Sabine has the right perspective, but she feels herself unworthy of the task and is more of a Chaotic Good ally

Din has become and is still becoming about the right amount of idealistically altruistic and big-picture-thinking, while still displaying a bit more wariness than Boba and a bit more diplomacy than Bo. It's notable that when Din and Boba met Bo and Koska in Season 2's finale, Din was the only one acting like an adult the entire time. It's also the first of two times he managed a better job of gathering allies for a mission than either Bo or Boba.

I don't see Din as a ruler... but as a leader? Yep... and particualrly because he doesn't seem like a warlord-type of leader.
    A fun way to evaluate the resurgence of traditionalism in the current timeline is that it seems to have been resurrected, enforced, and then re-solidified in the Mandalorian society by Sith Lords - before Maul brought up the right to challenge for leadership and claimed the darksaber as a trophy and symbol of authority, it was just Pre's cool weapon, and Palpatine's eventual leveling of Mandalore just happens to fulfil the "curse" that wasn't mentioned until after those events.

The only sign of traditional "Mandalorianism" in mainstream Mandalorian society during Satine's reign was the Protectors supporting her, and they even ditched their armor.

This entire "reawakening" of the older traditions has the air of more cultural regression caused by the Sith than progression, with the only real reactions against that being Sabine and Din's more heroic interpretations of tradition to fit the wider galaxy by putting their skills and weapons to use for good causes.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Sproj likes this.
  17. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    And I can see all of this making for a great season. We have a 'rightful' leader who doesn't want to lead, we have a former leader who really isn't fit to lead but wants to anyway and we have the Mandos who have had their planet almost wiped out due to factions and traditions. You also have a 'rightful' leader who has quite a conspicuously different 'son' / foundling to everyone else. He is really what Mandalore needs, a new way of doing things, but likely neither he nor they see that yet.

18. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    It's time to return to this subject.

If we only focus on The Mandalorian, Bo-Katan and Din Djarin are the two candidates with the best chance of winning the title. (Obi-Wan third position)

But if we include The Book Of Boba Fett, these two series form a whole, a much larger story, Boba Fett becomes the ideal character for becoming the New Mandalore.

Let's take things in order,
    Boba survives, he decides to change his life after his Sarlacc trauma and his time with the Tuskens. He wants to become a leader. Stop being a bounty hunter. On his way he meets Din Djarin who is in possession of his armor, Djarin gives it back to him because Boba's father is Mandalorian.
    Boba takes control of the Palace from his former employer.
    His reign is...complicated.
    For what ?
    "I want to rule with respect"
    Rule with respect a criminal enterprise is a difficult task.
    Being a crime lord without criminal activity is a tough job.
    The character's conclusion, his last line in The Book of Boba Fett:

"We are not suited for this"

OK...

So, what do we do ? Where are we going ?

We have a Leader whose father is Mandalorian who would strongly need to lead a group who shares his new values.
    We have a group that badly needs a leader, a leader who would break their stupid dogmas and be able to ride a Mythosaur

Bingo ! The leader we have doesn't care about his dogmas and knows how to ride beasts size of a Mythosaur

Let's go !

19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    It's Bo.

Chris0013 likes this.
  20. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    Ba.

DannyD likes this.
  21. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Other.

In the not too-distant future, all Mandos will be invited to return to Mandalore to bathe in the Livong Waters under the watchful eye of the Mythosaur. Grogu is nearby keeping it calm. There is also a council of figureheads in the same place looking impressive in different armour.

However, under the "If one does not know, one does not speak" rule, all decisions are differed to Grogu. Who does not speak and whose visage softens the hearts and minds of those seeking advice or solace. Then the council say "This is the way".

In fact, the whole affair could be Mandos having baths and not speaking, just finding an inner path themselves and nodding to one another.

Before they go and kick ass while finding more orphaned younglings in need of a home.

This is the way.

Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Boba was reintroduced in the Mandalorian and had his Mandalorian heritage restored for a reason. He could very well end up either as Mandalore or sharing the resources he is accumulating as Daimyo of Mos Espa to help rebuild Mandalore. Din and him seem to be pals at this point, after all Din came to Boba's service at no charge.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Here’s how I rank it.

Possible Lord Mandalore’s for the current timeline:

1. Din Djarin - His show is the one covering this material, he shares Bo’s traits of being accepting of different types of Mandos, strategic and tactical skill, while also seeming more diplomatic, more supportive of the New Republic, and unlike Bo, doesn’t have a history as a terrorist or a dramatically boring failed first go round as Mandalore.

His story is also the one that would most fit a Hero’s Journey that might end with a reformed idea of Lord Mandalore… while also being the character who would most benefit from that more dynamic story than the other characters. His show would also benefit most from that, because frankly, anyone else getting the title would feel like a wasted opportunity when Din’s right there.

2. Bo Katan - I think she doesn’t benefit from it much herself (since she’s already an interesting and dynamic character without it), I don’t think the title would benefit from her getting it (because I do think that a Lord Mandalore *now* should end up on a more idealistic and less anti-heroic character). Still, she makes a good in-universe candidate… which is part of the problem, since I think “that ex-war criminal is totally acceptable as Lord Mandalore” is exactly the problem with the scenario.

3. Sabine Wren - honestly, I think she’s a more interesting character than Bo, and her specific mix of tragic failure in her background without being an ex-terrorist would also benefit the role of Mandalore better. But, she’s also not got the temperament of a leader (not even the more subtle one Din had) and like Bo, doesn’t need that for her story.

4. Boba Fett - he has many of the same issues and strengths Bo has, but also doesn’t give a damn about his Mandalorian heritage beyond how his father specifically ties into it.

Possible Lord Mandalore’s for the future:

Grogu. Honestly, I think he’s a shoe-in for the role in the future, preferably as a blatant Jedi as well, and not just with LFL tiptoeing around that out of stubbornness. Tarre Vizsla was a Jedi who founded House Vizsla; no need to panic about the No Attachments rule with the particular precedent, and having him explicitly be Luke’s best surviving student would just be a cherry on top.

24. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Apart from your own issues, I fail to see why the children of the watch would care about being a war criminal, if you’ve been redeemed

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It's worth noting, too, that Sabine is the only one of those four who hasn't entered this figurative arena yet. And if the jump to live action means new/additional characterization for her, as it has for Bo, then damn, I want it even more now (not necessarily for her ruling prospects, to be clear).