main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mandalorians (Clans, Tribes, Mercs) in The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So as we saw from the first episode there is a clan or at the very least a group of Mandalorians. This can be a thread to discuss the Mandalorian people on the show and theories

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So what is the state of Mandalore in the canon last we know?

This series is set about a decade after Rebels (5 years after ROTJ) so what exactly is going on the actual planet of Mandalore last we know? Are these exiled clans because they supported the losing side?

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They refer to themselves as a tribe as opposed to a clan which is interesting. I wonder if they are indoctrinated 'aliens' from outside of Mandalore. These are the types who are raised to be mercenaries as opposed to elite soldiers or police from House Vizsla or Kryze. It makes me theorize that this is Jango's and Death Watch's origin. The silver Beskar could be a teller.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    You mean that this could tie in to how Jango Fett got his armor and Mandalorian training? That'd be probably 50 years prior to this series.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they're the last remnants of Maul's Mandalorian faction who have been exiled ever since he fell from power on Mandalore.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s what I think as well! Especially when the armor lady had the horns.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was very surprised to see the horns. I do have to wonder though, since it has been almost 30 years since Maul's reign on Mandalore, if she or any of the other Mandos we saw there are related to that faction, or if it's just her helmet that she inherited or acquired independently.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was just opening this to posit the same thought. I don't want to get ahead of the story but my mind works such that I am now preoccupied with anyone still living from that era.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Let’s say someone was 20 they would be in there mid 50s now so it’s still possible especially if we have Captain Rex fighting in his 70s

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Definitely. My thinking was more along the lines of "They're a warrior culture and ready to die at age 20" rather than any concerns about aging gracefully. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Eh I sorta meant to reply to Todd’s comment but did yours by accident :p

Got lazy

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Happy accident. It is not as though we aren't all basically saying the same thing.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. I don’t see another good reason to have the blacksmith with that helmet, apart from it just being the one she grabbed on her way into exile.

And can we just talk about how fracking awesome it was when the camera settled on the Mando skull symbol above the door to the forge, and that flutey tribal music played? Never thought I’d see anything like this in live action.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My bet is they were exiled due to Bo Katan taking over Mandalore and what could be real cool is if no Katan appears later in the series trying to hunt them down for being traitors.

15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I like the idea of them being a tribe of nomadic mercs after the pre-PT Civil Wars as opposed to the terrorist Death Watch and Pacifist New Mandalorians. Mandos who didn't want pacifism but at the same time dont wish to war over who rules the planet.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Post ROTJ Remnants of Death Watch could be found on Ankhural and probably elsewhere. The group in that Mandalorian building seemed like they were a gathering and rebuilding their numbers. Would be very interesting if these are indeed Mauldalorians.

They probably made changes for the cinematic universe of Star Wars on this show as it seems Mandalorians have an ever changing backstory. Likely Mandalore once again suffered under the Imperials , or otherwise fractured, following the events of Rebels or sometime during or after ESB or ROTJ.

Maul's Death Watch some apparently remained loyal and in exile while others switched sides to the Republic/Empire(Saxon brothers) while Mandalorian Resistance apparently also remained loyal to their their liberation cause or remained loyal the Republic/Empire like the Fenn Rau's Protectors. Seems there was a lot of side switching mixed loyalties and alliances.

Probably Maul's arc in Season 7 of TCW may disclose some more backstory if this show does not entirely by Season One's end in December.

Maul's cybernetics might made of Beskar.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    was that Boba Fett's logo above the smelting joint or is it just a generic Manalorian symbol?

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Generic Mandalorian

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Given the significance the episode put on “foundlings” of the tribe, and the way it might be implying that out protagonist may have been adopted into the tribe as a foundling instead of being born into it, maybe Filoni’s again seeking to reintegrate some of the Traviss-era material into Lucas’s Clone Wars ideas?

The Traviss-era Mandos were heavy into adoption and cultural integration, as opposed to the way Lucas’s Clone Wars vision seemed more nationalistic and even somewhat xenophobic.

Maybe the distilled version Filoni is going for will have exiled tribes or fringe Mandalorian groups depend more on adoption for recruitment than simple familial ties. And considering how Filoni used Rebels to establish that Mandalorians in the Clans tend to pass on full sets of Beskar armor that they then reforge for new members, perhaps the forging of the pauldron from recovered Beskar (which is treated a bit like Nazi Gold in the episode) is a way of ceremonial creating the new legacy of a new member.

This could add some spice to the dynamic that will be established if familiar clans and houses from the cartoons start making appearances.

Maulfly and DarthFixxxer like this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    yes, that's a Mythosaur skull, which seems to be canon now with the namedrop.

11-4D and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I hope that "Foundlings" are actual Mandalorians who were thought lost from some kind of attack by the Separatists or the Empire.

It would add a larger aspect to the show if the Mandalorians are trying to rebuild a destroyed culture.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I got the impression that the Mandalorians, as a proper society, have been wrecked some time in the Empire's rule. Sorry Sabine.
    So now they are little pockets, trying to get themselves back together again.
    Foundlings are orphans, I'd expect. The lost, needing to be found and reunited with their clans.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. That’s almost certainly the case. The Mando says he was a foundling too. And then we see a flashback of him being orphaned.

24. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I wonder if the Purge the armorer spoke of was a genocide or just the Empire stealing all of Mandalore's resources like with Lothal.

25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    The Foundlings are a comedy troupe from space-Los-Angeles. They're not Mandos after all!

Kato Sai, BigAl6ft6 and Bor Mullet like this.