main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mandalorians (Clans, Tribes, Mercs) in The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder where the cults was in rebels when all clans bowed before Bo.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They obviously don’t care for Bo

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That was only a handful of clans, probably the elite ones. And there were only a few dozen warriors. The rest probably tried to grab power for themselves or were depleted/wiped out by the Saxons. Gar Saxon for what its worth still appreciated Mandalorian culture. His brother Tiber clearly was uninterested in continuing the traditions, going so far as to swap his beskar for stormtrooper armor and use the Dutchess to eliminate seemingly a majority of Clans Kryze and Wren.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep it seemed to be the major clans like Vizsla

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah i think maybe everybody we saw might represent a clan of Mandalore.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus they were a cult so why would they follow abo

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they were as maligned as this recent episode made it seem, they probably also had little visible presence on Mandalore.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It seems they might not even been on Mandalore for a while.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I got the impression that the "Children of the Watch" are a separate group from "Death Watch" the way Bo Katan didn't espouse them. Plus Death Watch removed their helmets all the time. The difference between the two groups may be that Death Watch never left the Mandalore system while The Children of the Watch scattered themselves across the Galaxy.

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    At the same time, the Mando's that saved Din in the flashbacks in season one sure look a lot like the Death Watch.
    I've always figured that in TCW the Death Watch was a rather loose coalition of multiple Mandalorian factions that were only united by their opposition to Satine.
    That's the only way I can reconcile Viszla slaughtering villages and talking about how the "weak" shouldn't be allowed to tell the "strong" what to do with the image created later of Bo Katan and other warlike Mandalorians having honor codes and serving the role of a sympathetic protagonists.

It's plausible that the Children of the Watch were reluctantly allied with the Death Watch during the war, but the moment the New Mandalorians fell they broke off and went their own way. I can't imagine it was a happy alliance, they just hated the pacifists enough that they were temporarily willing to overlook their other differences until their enemy was overthrown.

11. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    My theory is that the Watch began with the intent to preserve Mandalorian culture in the wake of Mandalore falling to the Empire. Religious or non-religious groups staying away from the fighting and going underground to ensure that their people's history and culture survived.

Because of the Empire's extermination campaign and the value of beskar, they were pushed further into hiding until they could only allow a single person to walk around and only because it was necessary to take care of the tribe.

Over time, their preservation became more extreme until they'd developed into their own unique take on Mandalorian culture and they also started to strive to become the literal embodiment of that culture - a walking, breathing personification.

That they are called the Watch suggests, to me, that they might have initially been derived from the Death Watch who glorified Mandalorian conquest history and wanted to establish it as the norm on Mandalore.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That sounds right to me, at least.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    I should have guessed the Mando was going to find the Mandalorians right away but even though Bo-Katan was rumoured I didn't think she'd be one of them so beyond the surreal sight of seeing an animated character translating into live action with the original actress playing her I was kind of surprised to see her but it was a good surprise. I kind of figured she'd be part of a flashback episode with Gideon's backstory and then we find out he either killed her or maybe kept her alive to see her people's destruction as they fall one by one throughout the years. So the fact she's alive and trying to rebuild Mandalore will make for an interesting story going forward. I'm thinking there's still a possibility for a Gideon backstory episode except now it'd be about him capturing Bo and her two allies and then the two of them would relate about the past. Why did he let her live? Does he know she's after him? Hopefully we'll get that sooner rather than later. And I have no idea how old she is now but she's looking well. It feels like casting Sackhoff way back when was to get to this moment and she was pretty good and it's a cool payoff to what was once a minor role back in Season 4 of TCW. Her explaining the Mando's belief and why he doesn't like the helmet being taken off answers that question but also raises new ones.

Who exactly are this cult really and their goal and does he ultimately believe her? It seemed like post TCW we were getting back to the planet being ruled by clans like in the EU and it seems that way still because Bo says she's trying to get a new Manda'lor on the throne presumably herself and we thought the Armorer and the group the Mando was a part of were all for that but now we don't know. It seems like there's more to the Armorer than we thought and maybe we'll get a clearer reveal as to who she is and what she wants by the season's end if she has something else in mind.

The show and this season has had the recurring theme of what it means to be a Mandalorian and who you are. Whether you're born of blood or not if your actions drive you those actions will determine whether you're worthy of the armour. The Mando wasn't born of Mandalore but he was brought into their world although now it's possible history was muddled for him. But then again it's possible the people he follows despite Bo's description aren't evil people nothing has been given of that so far if they are. Plus she's not an innocent either like the Mando she's had to go far to get what's done in the scenario she's in sometimes she did so at the cost of innocent lives when working with Vizsla and in this episode the Mando is chastising her but they come to respect each other in the end. It's all about the Mando finding what he believes rather than holding to the philosophy of someone else. Jango in the EU was similar to the Mando in how he was adopted from what I read and heard of it and now that Boba is coming in and the more we meet the Mandalorians throughout the galaxy that are left it seems like we're trying to answer this question more of what it means to be a true Mandalorian and it's possible that the Mando could come to the role of a reluctant at first but eventual leader like Boba was in the EU.

For awhile I thought that'd be kind of a stretch to see our hero become the new Manda'lor but going back to TCW and Rebels there is always a hero who rises to be something bigger then their intended role that they thought they were at first. Ahsoka was just another Padawan originally. The Padawan of the Chosen One but still one of several fighting a war who then grows up to become a leader and a part of the Rebel Alliance. Then Kanan doesn't want to fight another war but Hera tells him they can't avoid it so what was once a small team fighting small battles that would be seen as nothing by the Empire suddenly they get the attention of the big leagues like Thrawn. What starts here as a man who has only known one life could expand to him rising to something he didn't expect. The final bridge between extremists, true born Mandalorians and the people who come to be them. Or he could retire who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Darth Nave and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do find it interesting that Din was saved by Death Watch but ended up with a cult

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Clone Wars were a crazy time for Mandalorians everywhere- the status quo on the capital got upended twice, there were more than a couple of schisms, and the Death Watch alone were all over the place with their allegiances. Not too surprising this random foundling winds up with this one extremist sect.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it all wnet downhill for Mnadalore and death watch once Darth Maul became the mandalore and ruled with an iron fist with Almec as his statesman.

17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Westar 35s. I miss the 34s from AOTC, hope we see other Mandos with them in this series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm so glad they made the helmet thing and clans specific to the plot of the show, The Watch could be an offshoot of Death Watch. And I do like how Bo was kinda dismissive of Mando, even she thinks he's a nutter. Her "This is the way" was dripping with sarcasm like she knows he's hung up on his own beliefs. The clan must really kept him in a cave though because the whole helmet thing and he didn't know a damn thing about the Jedi, meanwhile Bo has rolled deep with them multiple times over the years.

So I'm wondering if the show will portray Din as something that was bad that he was held back, or as the true way of Mandalorians, because Bo was shown to be kinda edgy and a bit untrustworthy. They're like the mean nasty Mandalorians.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m kind of hoping the Watch are actually tied into the Death Watch, perhaps as its earliest form, with the Viszla symbol and leadership coming from a major House anointing itself as the patron and overlord of the group.

The “Watch” can have a similar but significantly different connotation to the “Protectors,” for a comparison to another subgroup of Mandalorians we know has their own customs and traditions. Maybe while the Protectors, with the more positive and active connotations of that phrase, are the bodyguard of the Mandalorian Chief Of State, the Watch, like the old guards of military encampments, are the frontier standard bearers on the “borders” of Mandalorian culture? And similarly to how the Protectors are susceptible to being reduced to glorified security guards, the Watch was susceptible to becoming reactionary fanatics?

If The Watch Bo-Katan is referring to is directly related to the Death Watch under House Viszla... perhaps the Death Watch’s name has greater symbolism - that of guarding against the death of their culture.

The Watch might also serve as a handy bit of added nuance and fleshing out for why some of Pre Viszla’s court kept their helmets on and were so quick to bow before Maul - if Vizsla’s Death Watch is itself a coalition of different conservative factions in Mandalore, the ones whose conservative values are heavily dependent on a culture that can survive a nomadic existence might very well be a distinct faction within the Death Watch that Pre takes his honor cues from.

BigAl6ft6 and Glitterstimm like this.
  20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Bo-Katan losing control of Mandalore twice by now is a bit much imo. Her ruling Mandalore and obsession with the darksaber is more born out've some strange self-entitlement egomania which goes back to her alliance with Vizla and her coups against Satine and later against Almec and Maul. And Sabine had to steal the darksaber and hand it to her.

Maul is the rightful ruler of Mandalore and the sword will never truly belong to her or anybody else. Maul warned her when he sparred her life. Maul also gave a warning to Ezra on Dathomir and he likely left the sword there for a reason. He ruled them as he saw fit because he was the leader, if they failed it was cause they were weak . Maul carefully orchestraed the outcomes of Mandalore during the TCW, mainly so he can be presumed dead and him openly ruling them was known to Sidios and Republic at the time. So he had to shed them and become shadow boss of the Crimson Dawn and his underworld empire.

I think it was obvious a select few among Death Watch still served Maul covertly, the pilot of the Nightbrother for instance and Dryden Vos had a collection of red Mandalorian armor. Rook Kast also seemed much more devoted to Maul than Gar Saxon who seemed more self-serving. Maul also gave them orders to scatter and grab onto any piece of power they can during the time of chaos while he was intent to carry on his own plans that did not include Death Watch as a whole.

The horned Armorer may simply not be telling Djarin everything, maybe she wants to find the Jedi and kill them too through this Child. The Jedi are the ancient enemies of Mandalorians. I don't really think Bo-Katan would be universally accepted as leader. The Armorer and even the Paz Vizsla could be contenders as they are clearly boss types. We do not even know the Armorers true name and her fighting style appeared like Teras Kasi.

And for all we know Djarin takes the Darksaber from a dead Gideon, but I don't think Gideon(not that I think he's the only power to contend with) will go down that easily - and there might be more at play than meets the eye.

21. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I really want to see some unique looking mando armour... thats my wish for the season.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mandos Who saved Din as a child WERE Death Watch. That’s confirmed by the symbols on their armor and Lucasfilm. Looks like the Death Watch brought up their foundlings to believe in an extreme vision of Mandalore. And without even telling them that there were other groups. Essentially, it seems the Death Watch lied to the orphans they adopted in order to create an army of fundamentalists in their image.
    No need to hope. It’s confirmed that it is indeed the Death Watch who rescue Din. So the Children of the Watch are directly tied to them. They are foundlings of the Death Watch, brought up to believe in one way.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    DurararaFTW and godisawesome like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I noticed Axe Wove has the same “abbreviated” chest piece as the Watch’s Covert and the Live Action Death Watch - which creates a nice style-connection between the three related branches, but also make some wonder if the costume designer just finds that design easier to tailor to different actors or something.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m starting to think the Armorer might be more of an antagonist than she originally appeared. She’s essentially raising an army of child soldiers completely devout to her cause while she hides the truth of Mandalore society from them. I wouldn’t be surprised if she does end up being Rook Kast and her goal is to claim Mandalore for herself.

25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The Watch are a group of hardcore Legends fans, upholding the KOTOR version of Mandalorians and plotting to overthrow the LFL story group once and for all so we can get finally get the ST we deserve.

tHiS iS thE wAy