main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Has anyone been paying much attention to the Stargate props that have been put up on auction for the last few weeks? I've only just had at look at this week's items and if I had money I would definitely attempt to bid on something here or there.

There is a wide range of items from both SG-1 and Atlantis, though some of the listings have me wondering if they in fact intend to dismantle the Atlantis standing set...

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the fact they are pawning any of it is a telling sign about future projects.

I would suspect if there ever is more Stargate (Battlestar Destiny excluded), it will have a different look and feel, no matter where they pick up.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it has more to do with MGM's financial problems, so they're selling off non-essential stuff- when i glanced at that auction listing awhile ago, it seemed like it was mostly stuff they wouldn't need in great quantity on a regular basis anymore (non-hero staff weapons, etc), or stuff from completed storylines (Ori soldier costumes/weapons, etc). SG-1 #3 isn't likely to be dealing with that stuff, I would assume, nor will SGU be needing them much at this point in time.

I'd expect more stuff like this from MGm untl the next Bond movie hits theaters and brings them some stability.

4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes...cause one Bond movie can make MGM solvent.

This company has too long been a disaster on the business side. How they continue to suffer with the properties they have is purely a failure of management. It's been that way for decades.

And I'll say this...if they puke out another "Quantum of Solace"...even Bond won't save them.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually enjoyed QOS on the whole, despite the bad shaky cam. It had a few clever sequences, even though it works best when seen as a CR conclusion as opposed to a stand-alone film.

And, last I read, it was believed the release of a new Bond would bring in the money needed to stabilize MGM's situation enough so far as qualifying for offers of financial assistance from certain investors/buyers.

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I've determined that the "rift" must have occurred sometime before the episodes "48 hours" and "The Summit", as both plots take Daniel away from the team (and likely the primary production team). It would seem these stories were written or re-written to detach Daniel intentionally...and while neither incident is entirely preposterous for an explanation...the occurrence of 2 such plots in a row makes me think "distance" was sought during the filming of these episodes.

To his credit, his performance in both episodes is some of his best.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8631245.stm

What this doesn't say is that all Stargate faithful should accept that what we have is what we have.

No SG-1 movie...No Atlantis movie.

Even if they did try to come back to them, RDA will be drawing Social Security by then.

I am actually ok with it...I think the moment has passed...it would be pure nostalgia at this stage, rather then something worthwhile to the whole.

Oh well.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It all depends on how quickly MGM's situation is bought up by someone, really. Supposedly they're still aiming for the same release window for Bond, they've just suspended production until MGM's situation is resolved, at which point they would resume (which would lead to The Hobbit and, presumably, more Stargate).

So, anyways, was thinking about those Star Trek "Fan Collective" DVD releases (you know, the ones like Borg, Klingons, Time Travel, etc) and was thinking it might be fun to put together hypothetical lists of possible sets like those for Stargate (even if it's a bit harder than with Trek since Gate is often less stand-alone given it's heavy continuity).

So I came up with 15 collection themes (sure, Trek only has about half that many actually released, but so what? ;)) to base a 2-4 disc set around (figure no more than 20 episodes total) and figured it'd be neat to see suggestions for them (since some of them would be difficult to include EVERY episode that touches upon them, given how expansive Gate has become).

(And, off the bat, we'll discount the theatrical film as a valid candidate, but not the DVD movies since they're effectively 2-parter episodes. Additionally, episodes can appear in multiple sets).

Here are the 15 I came up with (grouped into release themes):

-Alternate Universes
    -Time Travel
    -Gate Errors
    ------------
    -System Lords
    -Anubis
    -Ori
    ------------
    -Genii
    -Wraith
    -Replicators
    ------------
    -Asgard
    -The Ancients
    -Jaffa
    ------------
    -N.I.D.
    -Stargate Command
    -Atlantis

We'll start off with the first category- my bread and butter...
    Alternate Universes

My list:

-SG-1: There But For The Grace Of God
    -SG-1: Point of View
    -SG-1: Forever in a Day
    -SG-1: Absolute Power (maybe- but including it in a set labeled "AU" kinda gives away the story....)
    -SG-1: The Changeling
    -SGA: Home
    -SG-1: Avatar (kinda counts in an "alternate reality" sorta way, but not essential)
    -SG-1: Moebius, parts I & II
    -SGA: Aurora (kinda)
    -SG-1: Ripple Effect
    -SGA: The Real World
    -SGA: McKay and Mrs Miller
    -SG-1: 200
    -SG-1: The Road Not Taken
    -SGA: The Daedalus Variations
    -SGA: Vegas
    -SG-1: Continuum

There's a few I felt were more time travel-based than AU-based, like Window of Opportunity, 2010 and Before I Sleep.

Any others you can think of? Any of that list that you feel shouldn't be included?

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It's not a bad list...the problem you are presented with now is that the collection is simply too big...they would never package that many in a special collection, unless they did "part I" and "part II".

What might be the next step is to weigh the merits of each episode to the theme...their general audience appeal...their merits to the series at large...and then narrow the list down to 6-8 episodes at most.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It doesn't need to be narrowed down too much, though- the Trek ones have just as much material- the Trek Alternate Realities one, for example, has 20 episodes, and the others range between 13-17 episodes, so that list is in the ballpark.

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I stand corrected...I was thinking of much smaller packages.

In any event, you won't see a movie like "Continuum" in a box like that.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe, maybe not- it has some advantages in it's favor (disc is already authored and pressed, so it's inclusion has minimal production costs). Including it won't eat into the individual or AOT double pack releases, since those will still appeal to people buying full season box sets. Plus now it might hook some casual viewers into future DVD movie releases.

So, it's a valid enough possibility that I don't see any reason to exclude it (or AOT) from potential inclusion in this excercise- especially given how Continuum is a good example of the subject (as well as how Ark of Truth would be a vital component to an Ori-themed set).

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ah, 2nd...always the optimist. "future dvd movies"...

Keep the faith!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if MGM was putting these sets out, they'd obviously hope it would help sell future product :p

Really, such sets would be aimed at:

1) New/Casual fans not interested in buying 15+ full-season box sets .
    2) New Casual fans who might be encouraged to buy full-season box sets or future DVD movies after getting/experiencing a sampler of this nature.
    3) Hardcore completists who might want any new extra features included (personally I think it'd be really awesome if each set included 1 or more new "Final Cut" editions of early season episodes ala COTG).

That said, you're right that one should consider theme and popularity/relevance to the inclusion somewhat. Looking back at my above list, I think it's safe to eliminate Avatar (as I pretty much admitted previously- though it brings a bit of variety with it's video game angle, it's not that noteworthy...and you'd probably have to include Gamekeeper in as setup too).

Depending on how one cuts the distinction between "alternate universe" and "alternate reality", the rest are either all fine (they all deal with different versions of characters or different versions of events/locations/etc) or there are some that aren't strictly alternate "universes" (stuff like Home, Changeling, Forever in a Day, Absolute Power, Aurora & 200 are more alternate realities/dreams/simulations- though for that category, I wonder if "Beneath the Surface" would count also...that'd be an interesting selection).

I think if one were to take the "hardline" definition, then the list of episodes that only deals with actual AU elements (and not simulations/dreams/etc) would be:

-SG-1: There But For The Grace Of God
    -SG-1: Point of View
    -SG-1: Moebius, parts I & II
    -SG-1: Ripple Effect
    -SGA: McKay and Mrs Miller
    -SG-1: The Road Not Taken
    -SGA: The Daedalus Variations
    -SGA: Vegas
    -SG-1: Continuum

If the set were to take that definition for it's approach, I'd imagine they might ease the definition slightly to allow 2 or 3 more SGA episodes in, to help balance out the set's contents (since you'd want the franchise as a whole represented with something like this, if you were MGM (both for promoting your product and not wanting to seem like you were slighting SGA fans (...more), and that's also what the ST FC releases that we're taking inspiration from do).

(although, looking it, if you look at it with the notion that Seasons 9 & 10 were essentially a 3rd "SGC" show, interestingly enough that SG-1 gets 2 episodes and a movie-length story (3 things all together), "SGC" gets 2 episodes and a movie-length story (Continuum) (3 things all together) and SGA gets 3 episodes all together).

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I have to wonder if having episodes from both series is really wise.

While true that you could use it as means to draw an audience, I think you might confuse that audience by throwing them a change-up to the entire cast mid-collection.

It also could be frustrating to fans of either show but now both, such as myself...and collectors my be annoyed by where exactly to place such a thing.

I think, in the end, they would create packages to promote the shows distinctly, hoping to win appeal to grab more boxes for the chosen series.

What you could do, probably successfully, is carry "bonus" material that involves the other franchise.

A special sneak peek at "Atlantis Alternate Reality" with maybe a scene or 2...trailers, etc.

Have commentaries that heavily reference the other show...even drop nods for SGU.

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Don't know why...but something made me think of Stargate: Worlds just now...so I went to check on it.

The Developer went bankrupt...no Stargate:Worlds.

Considering how long we were waiting for that...probably best...it's way past being current under the hood, I'm sure.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I figured that was almost inevitable once they rushed out Stargate: Resistance to try and get some revenue stream going.

And I don't think switching series mid-set would be bad- again, the example of the Trek discs where they go exactly that (only changing casts up to 5 times, not just once or twice), although maybe grouping them together by show (as they do for the Trek sets) instead of strict chronological order would work best.

Besides, for some of these themes, there wouldn't be enough episodes for one show by it itself to really justify a release like this.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems the two things that have been holding back the movies was MGM's troubles and the collapse of the direct-to-DVD market. And though specifics haven't been revealed, the producers have said they are pursuing Plan B.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll look to Syfy to fund them, as they do the series, or some kind of Netflix/internet distribution model, since that's what essentially collapsed the DTDVD market.

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    [Channel inner Journey]

"DON'T STOP...BELIEVING!!"

"HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING!"

[/Channel inner Journey]

I should start a pool on which is more likely...SGU season 3, or another SG-1 movie.

Sorry...RDA isn't in condition for off-world work...and I don't want another fargate movie. RDA is another day too old every day.

And Atlantis has it's own cast bitterness issues...Plan B is to keep appealing to the dwindling fanbase, and hoping someone with money gets bored and wants to fund it.

First Rule of Plan B's...if you don't explain your Plan B, there is no Plan B.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this is the first they've mentioned it, I'm sure we'll get details in the coming months- and certainly any resolution to the MGM situation will accelerate such possibilities.

And, your bet is an easy one- SGU Season 3 is far more likely than SG-1 DVD 3 at this point. The former is hinging on ratings, MGM's need for DVD/BRD sales and Syfy's need for reliable fanbase material (especially if Caprica doesn't go to an additional season, I can almost guarantee SGU will get renewed). The latter can't move forward at this point at all until some corporate stuff is worked out (or if Plan B pans out).

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I just started watching from the beginning a couple weeks ago, and am about to start season 3. Only skipped a couple of episodes that I didn't like. (That there are only a couple to skip says a lot.)
    Have to say... wow, do Amanda Tapping's eyes look huge. Really flippin' huge! OK, partly the mascara. Still. Damn. And oh, yeah, still a damn impressive show. I never watched it when it was on-air. Always waited for the DVD releases. Still, 10 years later, the episodes still hold up very well. Only occasionally dated.

As for future projects: don't want to see any more of teh angsty-universe. Really, even the cartoon was better. Can they pull the team back together? Without the treat of the Goa'uld, no. Not really. They'd have to resurrect the system lords some how. the Ori were feeble substitutes. Maybe if they stumbled onto something that destroyed all Ancient, Asgard and Goa'uld tech, except the Gate system, so that the primitive weapons of earth were the most advanced machines available, and the new alien race was working to dominate, subjugate, and weren't some stupid vampire race, that might work. All earth's space ships would be useless. The Hammond could crash into a desert or ocean and the survivors could escape. The Stargate would be much more important, so O'Neill could be transfered back to there. Anyone who doesn't agree to return to the show is dead. Give them the B5 heave-ho!

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though, since they are set in the "present day" 10+ years ago, can they really be dated? ;)

(though, I suppose, technically, by having assigned a year to their events, they have actually been dated... ;))

23. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    We just watched the whole thing from start to finish. It really does hold up well. Now we're starting on Atlantis. Thank you, Netflix streaming!!!

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    At the beginning of the series, Te'alc has huge, bulging lower lip. Is that all make-up? It isn't there by season 3, but it's there throughout season 1. When did that fade away?

why does season 3 have the ra-head openning credits? Just to be different? Because then end up changing back afterward.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, the original airings on Showtime always had the Ra opening for Seasons 1-5, while the other opening was for used for syndication reruns (and, later, on SFC's reruns). Then Seasons 6-8 used a new, evolving style of credits, while 9 & 10 used a different, evolving style.

The DVDs used a mix of the different intros for those firts few seasons, it seems.