main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Funny story...you're going laugh...:D

In all seriousness, I have just recently watched the seasons all the way through, and one episode I listen to the commentary on, and even the director was unsure of why the Ra headdress was used as a back drop. I found that a very odd concession.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    So, has anyone else tried to watch StarGate 2012? Nothing whatsoever to do with the SG franchise. No, it's some crack-pot new ager idiot's lecture as a ufo-type conference. Someone brought a camera and recorded his powerpoint presentation. Guy is an unbelievable nut job. Only thing more nuts is that there are people who believe and listen to him. He combines what are essentially puns between ancient latin and modern English, cross references ancient Egypt with mezzo-america, and doesn't stop for breath. Hell, he makes scientology seem more plausible. Celestian Blue Apples and other guff... I think you'd have to be on drugs to listen to more than 5 minutes or so.
    Best part, all those 2012 revelation/doom sayers are now backing up and saying that there might be a miscalculation in the interpretation of the Mayan calendar, and the date they've been claiming as divinely inspired could be off by as much as 50 years! Guess they figure they'll be dead before anyone calls them to the carpet for the steaming pile they left there.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    lol, Got a link to that?

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Here's the NetFlix:
    http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Stargate-2012/70035924?strackid=8814266400e8859_1_srl&strkid=1797876521_1_0&trkid=222336

If you look up the author on Amazon, you'll find a ton of his effluence claiming to be scholarly works. Sad part is his followers reviews claiming that they've found enlightenment thanks to reading his books.

Here's a piece from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Qh-xN53gc&feature=related

Wow, this guy is so full of crap it's unbelievable. Really, in 3 minutes you can hear so many logical falacies and just plain outright lies it's amazing.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    My rewatching has made it to season 4... Meh to the replicators. Fortunately there are lots of other stories--good ones.

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Yeah, not a big fan of the replicators. But I am absolutely loving Atlantis. I don't know why I didn't get into this earlier. The Wraith are a far better bad guy than the Ori.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Wraith/space vampires... meh.
    Goa'uld were the best thing going for villains in any SG, but it got to the point that they couldn't beat anybody... Even a couple of nerdy technicians were able to defeat a Goa'uld plot.
    Funny how some of the characters would pronounce properly, and some would just say 'ghoul'+d or tweek "gold".

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Replicators were great when used properly, but they were eventually over-used (not to mention they hijacked Ark of Truth).

The Goa'uld were good villains, but it depended on the System Lord. I always hated Apophis. Just a weak, terrible looking/acting villain. Whats more, they. kept. bringing. him. back. Meanwhile much more cooler and threatening System Lords kept getting killed off while they did it (like Sokar). They got it right with Baal and Anubis, though.

The Wraith were weak big baddies at the start- it just took them too long to start developing individual Wraith characters. Without those unique characters, the Wraith just blended in together as generic space vampires. Thankfully we eventually got some recurring ones like Todd and (to a lesser extent) Michael (even if the latter dragged out too long).

The Ori are still the best big baddie, IMO. Their methodical progression and motive was the most threatening one of any main SG villains (yes, the Goa'uld did the "aliens pose as gods" thing- but what happens when religious zealots actually have the power to back up their claims?

That's an immensely scary thing that the Goa'uld never had- there was always that "we can show them the man behind the curtain" aspect at play that gave us reassurances the good guys could easily win the day, so long as they weren't completely outgunned.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Personally, I always thought the Aschen were the scariest threat of the series, followed by the foothold aliens.

One thing I don't particularly care for in the later part of the series is they way they jack up the pedestal of "bad" for the Ori...SO much more powerful and sinister then the "Goa'uld".

Was not Anubis partially ascended...this mythos of Ori superiority is conveniently staged with the System Lords gone, and only the toady Baal left to represent them as any sort of player in the universe.

If properly staged as originally described in the early seasons...I think the Goa'uld could have one SERIOUS chance of thumping the Ori good...though the cost would be more then Earth could condone.

The Goa'uld suffer from what all villains of ongoing franchises do...detail...things get condensed, simplified, explained, in an effort to make it tangible to readers or watchers...and before long, the big menace at the beginning isn't near as scary.

What's more...with every additional villain...the process gets quicker...look at the Empire and Vong in SW...one took about 20 years to get stale and trivial...the other...20 books.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that the one downside to the Ori is that sense of "jacked up uber-ness". But I think it worked out well in execution.

I enjoyed the almost "Goa'uld done right" type vibe, really (contrasted to Anubis, who was more "Sokar done again, but with more power!"). I think the main problem was we were really close in tech level to the Goa'uld- yes, they had interstellar ships and some powerful gadgets, but once you get past the shields, we were pretty even (especially in ground combat). It didn't take that much for us to even the playing field.

With the Ori it wasn't anywhere near as close a tech gap. Yes, the ships were still a matter of shields, but it took a heck of a lot just to deal with one Pryor, and even then on a temporary basis.

I don't think the System Lords would have fared well against the Ori. We saw that their ships, weaponry and soldiers couldn't scratch the Ori and I'd expect the Pryors would have no trouble targeting Symbionts directly with some kind of bio weapon or such. Afterall, if the Tollan could remove them without killing the host, I'd imagine the Ori would have more time-efficient, though messier, solutions along those lines.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I am a walking anntena.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    My antenna is broken--it keeps receiving utter gibberish.

The Ori were brought in too late--sort of an afterthought so there would be stories for the last 2 seasons.

One of the latter seasons (7? 8?) had the best explanation for why Earth kept defeating the Goa'uld when vastly inferior technology.
    Oniell picks up a staff. "This is a weapon of Terror. It is made to /scare/ the enemy."
    Picks up the P90. "This is a weapon of War. It is made to /kill/ the enemy."
    I think that one scene explained and justified about 75% of the Goa'uld episodes.
    Yes, Apophis was brought in way too much. I also didn't care for the Nox. Really. Just plant people that can be used to up your car's performance... Having a bunch of recurring system lords, and showing them fighting physically and politically against each other more would have been a lot more fun. But, the show had budget restrictions, and a lot of the $ went to better FX. (Ok, there were the ping-pong balls filled with gunpowder--cheap and way cool).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was a great scene, I agree.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to consider the Ori as something "brought in for the last two seasons" since that has more to do with SFC wanting to keep SG-1-titled show around, since originally Season 9 would have been Season 1 of the show called Stargate Command (and, thus, the new baddie for the new show).

SFC wanted to go for the longest running north american sci-fi show record (which, sadly, only lasted a couple years until Smallville took it from SG-1), and while they got that, that resulted in the mounting cost issues that contributed to SG-1's premature cancellation (they were planning on Season 11 being the last, IIRC).

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sad thing was that they were claiming to be the longest SciFi show ever, and the Guiness Records people bought the story without bothering to check. It wasn't until some DoctorWho fans said 'hey' and pointed to the 26-year run (OK, there were a couple hicoughs in the end) that they were forced to admit and correct the record.
    Yeah, I remember the plans to start it as a new show instead of continuing the existing.

Have to laugh at smallville, but that's another story.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had heard the "North American" clarification for awhile due to the noted DW exception, don't recall there being a revision there, but I could be wrong.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    It was something like 2 weeks (maybe less).

17. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    I would agree that the Ori were done well, save for the fact that at first Earth was getting its butt kicked, they lost the Sodan shortly after finding them, and Teal'c spends a lot of his time convincing the Jaffa nation that the Ori are not gods.

Personally, I think Sokar was one of the best System Lords, having all the evilness and cunning to make an excellent and scary villain. IMOH, Sokar should have succeeded in killing Apophis when Apophis tried to overthrow him.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Totally agree- Sokar was great, then they killed him off to bring back freaking Apophis again, arg!

(however, at least Apophis returned as a slightly more badass character)

Then I think they realized their mistake, so we got Sokar v2.0 with Anubis (who was even played by the same actor!).

The Jaffa/Ori/Gods thing didn't bother me- it raised a legitimate issue with the Ori. The Goa'uld were just posers with some advanced tech- take that away and you could prove them to be false gods. But the Ori's powers were legit, and actually did help create human life, so the question of "Are they gods?" was much deeper and worth exploring.

19. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    I honestly thought Anubis was not a very well done villain, often downplayed by the fact that he uses minions

The Jaffa/Ori/Gods thing didn't bother me- it raised a legitimate issue with the Ori. The Goa'uld were just posers with some advanced tech- take that away and you could prove them to be false gods. But the Ori's powers were legit, and actually did help create human life, so the question of "Are they gods?" was much deeper and worth exploring.[/quote]

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Showtime just played Children of the Gods today so I set the DVR so I could finally watch it unedited. Wow 13 yrs ago Daniels wife had a nice body!!! I was shocked that was in there even though I knew it was, lol. Were there any other episodes in the first season on Showtime that had nudity or bad languge?

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    nope.
    Why didn't we get to see the blonde airforce woman? Cheaters!!!

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I know right!!! Its like they were being cable on purpose....

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It always perplexed me why the recurring actress got naked but not the one-off blonde.

No other episodes had nudity, though there might have been one or two stronger words in the first season. IIRC, a reference to Showtime in the finale was removed for syndication or SFC reairings.

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    What was the reference to Showtime?

25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey 2nd, did you ever pick up that remake of COTG? Weren't they suppose to take the nudity out?

Personally, I think the show was originally envisioned as one thing and became another.

I think at inception, and into the filming of COTG, they concept was a more adult, edgy, suggestive kind of show to serve as a lead in to Showtimes late night lineup.

What the show quickly becomes as the pieces come together is more traditional fare, and with a couple exceptions, it seems the TPTB, following COTG, took the wheel and steered away from "aliens and naughty bits". In fact, there are a couple instances not to long into the series where you could tell the "nudity" button could be pressed...but they didn't go there...likely because even early into season 1, the reality of syndication dollars meant they should avoid having to edit for content when possible.

26. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Yes the recent 'director's cut' of COTG did manage to cut around the nudity both in the de-clothing scene and the 'snake' crawling up her body scene.