main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mankind's Greatest Ongoing Adventure: Stargate SG-1 (and Origins) (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Feb 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 9 was the first with Browder.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was just watching SG the movie and had forgotton that Ra was an "alien". Did the producers ever say anything about that and the diff between the other Goa uld?

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well that alien that you saw Ra as was actually an Asgard, that's the retcon anways. Why Ra turned back into his old Asgard host at times... well we still don't know. Just look at it like Luke's lightsaber changing colors in episode IV ;)

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Ra was Supreme System Lord, so he must have been the uber boss of the other, regular system lords, who then are bosses of the regular Goa'uld wannabe system lords, lackeys, and vassals.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ra and Apophis were the top dogs after (I think) Anubis and Sokar were taken out of the picture. When Ra was beatne, Apophis took over.

As for the lesser Goa'ulds, we do see them from time to time in the series.

And I think the Asgard retcon is just a fan explaination- I think the producers just say we should treat the inaccuracies between the film and Tv series as the movie being based on the "real life" events of SG-1, but not getting the details right (even if there are two O'Neills ;)).

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well the source for the Asgard host comes from an online supplement to the Stargate SG-1 Roleplaying game, so it's 'cannon' by an official source. And trying to explain as many differences between the movie and show is a good thing in my opinion, wish they would just pull a Lucas and redo the movie to fix the differences.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Anubis was 'dead' for the first 4 or 5 years of the show, so out of the picture until the show needed to amp up after killing (finally and forever) Apophis. Sokar was a rival system lord who only outranked Apophis after snake-head lost too many battles to the Earth humans. Only Ra was ever referred to as Supreme System Lord.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, so I've finished rewatching the series and The Ark of Truth.

Season 7 was definately the worst. 10 also had some really bad episodes. TAoT should have been the season finale. Would have been much better to strip away some of the lamer episodes (Valla's Father and the last Everyone Gets Old story) and put that story in.
    The show needed the fresh blood of season 9, though it took a while to get back on track, and while good, it wasn't enough (obviously) to last. Top that with the lame series ender story (which seems to have accidentally been the founding of the SG Universe series), and it was (sadly) time for the show to end.
    TAoT was a... very non-sensical and padded storyline. Why to the replicators create the terminator/zombie? Really? Where is the advantage for them? Why not just spray acid in Mitchel's face like they do when in bug form.
    Originally, you could shoot the replicator and blow the bug apart, and the bricks would reform. Now they just fall apart with a single bullet? Um, then why don't guns work on the human-form replicators?
    As a villain, the replicators were pretty lame and annoying (to me, as I've already bitched), and bringing them back YET ANOTHER TIME, was something I could have done without. Sadly, they would be back in Atlantis. I'm sure Universe will also feel the need to bring them in at some point, just to try to boost sagging ratings.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The injection of the Replicators into AOT was a terrible move, I agree- the movie was about resolving the Ori plotline, but by using the Replicators in the movie, it eventually became about the Replicators again and short-changed the Ori.

Now, to their credit, the idea of how they were going to use the Replicators was a great one- it just didn't belong in a wrap-up movie about the ri.

I get the distinct impression that "using the Replicators as a weapon against the Ori" was meant to be the plot of an episode from Season 11, and they just decided to merge it into the AOT plot. Which is why it kinda sucks- it just didn't belong there.

Anyways- not watching Continuum, Koohli?

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I will. I remember that one being good. But I wasn't going to last night. Turns out I was stuck awake unti 5am, so I might as well have. Only good thing was I watched the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon, which was amazingly good.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though they've now said the SGA movie has been shelved indefinitively, nothing has specifically been said about the next SG-1 movie.

Mallozzi didn?t speak to the next planned movie for the SG-1 team, tentatively titled Stargate: Revolution. Executive producer Brad Wright had reportedly been working on securing the go-ahead for that film before MGM entered bankruptcy this fall.

I guess no news is good news, as far as this situation is concerned.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Finished watching that. Enjoyable. Mostly works, except that it repeats the same error of cause&effect from the 2-parter earlier (season 9 or 10). The alternate timeline where the goa'uld invade earth has been done how many times now? It's almost a cliche for the series.

13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Long time fan here, just never bothered to talk about it.....watching SG1 is like watching old eps of M*A*S*H, you don't tire of them ;) Have introduced my kids to it and just this weekend gone, my daughter decided there was a character that she wanted to be at the convention.

[image=http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/Adalia-Amber-Durron/P1050337.jpg]

Waiting for someone to photo shop this for me!! :)

[image=http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/Adalia-Amber-Durron/P1050317.jpg]

[image=http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/Adalia-Amber-Durron/P1050312.jpg]

She had a ball being Hathor for the day, and attracted alot of attention!!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ack! Not Hathor! :p

Nice costume, though. :)

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    lol thats great stuff.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SG-1: Revolution Would Have Revealed the Stargate

?This subject (the revelation and its many implications) would have formed the plot for the planned SG-1 movie, Stargate: Revolution,? Mallozzi said.

Written with the working title Stargate: Revolution, the movie was to heavily feature Richard Dean Anderson?s character Jack O?Neill.

The script was written by Brad Wright and Carl Binder, and of the possible Stargate projects bandied about over the past three years it came the closest to seeing the light of day. Wright was very confident in an April 2009 interview with GateWorld that they would be filming in the fall, and also said as much during his stage appearance at the official Stargate convention in Vancouver that month.

?I had a story idea that really worked with O?Neill,? Wright said. ?And it?s not just his character, by any means. It?s a Stargate story that brings O?Neill back in a big way.?

Anderson confirmed on his Web site sooner thereafter that MGM had indicated its plans to go ahead with the movie. But when the DVD market continued to soften and the studio fell further into debt, plans were again put on hold.

Mallozzi said that, even after those shows? sets were taken down and key pieces auctioned off, he still held out hope that Revolution and the Atlantis movie (titled Stargate: Extinction) might still be made. (Wright announced last month that both were effectively shelved for good.)

?I still held out hope for both movies because, in the case of Stargate: Revolution, the lionshare of the action would have been off-world and ship-based while, in the case of Stargate: Extinction, although there was some action on Atlantis itself (eminently achievable through the magic of VFX), much of the story takes place on Earth and off-world,? he explained.

Mallozzi will give his blog readers new insights into the story of Extinction (which he co-wrote with Paul Mullie) next week.

MGM owns the completed scripts for both movies. At this point, there is no indication from the studio as to whether fans might eventually see these stories in the form of a novel, comic book, or in another medium.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Man, I so wished to get that third SG1 movie. :( It would of been great to see O'Neill again! (Would of been great to get a SGA movie too)

18. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow...and just think if they would've invested in that instead of scrambling to keep a show on Siphy.

At this point, RDA is past the "world jumping, alien thumping" age window...and as much as we liked seeing his cameos on SG-U...that's not the O'Neill around which a full story can revolve...not in this franchise.

Besides...I heard the whole "It's focused on O'Neill" when they were making Continuum. Uh huh...:rolleyes:

Gate fans are starting to remind me of Firefly Devotees...'gotta keep it alive. Still Hope! Still Hope!'

Don't beat a dead horse...and don't make it a zombie horse either...we should be bronzing this franchise as the masterpiece of the last decade.

Instead, we're so desperate to be fed, we'll take inferior product and cheap spin off pulp to satiate the craving.

Not every franchise can be time-proofed like Star Wars...in fact, most go the path SG is now on...it was encapsulated in our world and our time...something that gave it a unique appeal. But it was knit up by this, and on a timer until the world changed around it.

Fact is...they do the reveal in season 8 of SG-1...they may have been able to jump beyond the connection to real life. Alas, the blessing became a curse.

Oh well...moving on.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's supposedly going to post some details about what Extinction would have been about, too. And if you check out my post in the SGu thread, he also details how both SG-1 and SGA cast members would have played into a potential SGU movie.

I think that's why his role has evolved into a proto-Hammond, really. But, from what I gather, if Revolution was to be focused on the reveal of the gate to Earth, then there wouldn't have been much world jumping/alien thumping, so he'd be good ;).

And I don't think Continuum was ever billed as being "focused on O'Neill", just that it featured him. The talk for the 3rd movie has been going on for awile now, and that's the one that's been described as an O'Neill story from the start- maybe you're mixing them up?

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Nah...I remember seeing a sneak peak thing about Continuum saying where AOT was a wrap up of the series and the challenges to that SG-1, Continuum was focused around O'Neill and his importance to the ongoing adventure. Then they went on blubbering about how similar O'Neill's importance to SG-1 was mirrored in RDA's importance to the series...etc, etc...

I think it was one of those "Hooray, we are filming in the Arctic" things.

I think they know there are plenty of fans who don't even stir unless the name "O'Neill" is mentioned...it was a name drop then.

Would Revolution (dumb name...Revelation would've been better) been more of the same? Who knows...but as I said, with RDA getting older and less of operational weight...it only makes sense that the Fargate entourage would continue to act in the forward capacity...I'm not saying I wouldn't watch it...I'm just not deluded into thinking O'Neill is gonna be leading SG-1 on some imperative mission.

I'm actually working my way through Season 8 right now, and I'm remembering how much I was already missing his presence off world...and moreover, how much they kept things on world just to include him.

Oh well...as I said...we really need to celebrate this series as complete now...the final chapter is written but the adventure never ends.

And lets be real...does anyone want to see Geriatric Gate?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So long as they kept introducing new characters people liked, that wouldn't be an issue for a very long time, had the franchise continued. Whether it's O'Neill/Carter/Jackson or Rodney/Ronin/Shep or Eli/Greer/Rush, you have a lot of options for evolving character positions in relation to their age and career.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Christopher Judge has been cast for the Dark Knight Rises now as well, though his role hasn't been announced yet.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Good for him...I hope it's a substantial role and not a background extra.

24. Goddess_Hathor

Goddess_Hathor Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2011
    Hey Adalia do you have a paten for the hathor costume, i'm trying to find a good paten can you help me.

PS: Love the costume, got anymore pic of the costume?

25. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Is Stargate: The Ark of Truth worth watching if hadnt watched the whole series?