main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Many Happy Returns - On hiatus due to bereavement - new message 11/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Title: Many Happy Returns
    Author: Tahi
    Timeframe: NJO
    Characters: Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, Lando Calrissian, Tendra, Remis Vehn, Qorl, OCs
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Keywords: A/T, Peace Brigade
    Summary: After Anakin and Tahiri's adventure with Corran at Eriadu and Yag'Dhul you'd think nobody would be crazy enough to let them tag along on another seemingly simple trip. You'd also be very wrong!
    Notes: Continuation from Classic Board

When I read Anakin's death in Star by Star, I - like many people - threw the book across the room and ranted and raved in despair. After three readings, I still cry like a baby, but I decided the best remedy was to write, so I did. At first I wrote stories that helped me work through the grief - and if you'd like to read those they're collected under the title "Warrior of the Light" which is the first link in my sig. Then I decided to go back and fill in some of the gaps the canon writers have left.

I wrote a little story that works a bit like an extra scene on the end of Rebirth - showing Anakin and Tahiri beginning to work their feelings for one another out. (That one, called "Beginnings" is in my bio if you're interested.) Then I started this one - which starts two months after Rebirth, and incorporates to a certain extent the establishment of Eclipse. As I enjoyed Conquest and Rebirth so much, I've tried to get the same atmosphere in this story.

The first 12 chapters of this story reside on the classic board. In case you are a new reader, follow this link and you will find them.
    Many Happy Returns

The wonderful Maggy has done a cover for the story:

[image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/Mookiee/Cover/Tahi09Kopie.jpg]

If you are one of the regulars - here we go again. As you may remember, Lando and Tendra were heating things up at the warehouse. I guess we'd better check up on what Anakin and Tahiri are up to at the swoop gang HQ.

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    CHAPTER THIRTEEN

It hadn't taken Rongo long to gather the occupants of the compound together in the large room that served as the gang's common room. Anakin studied the barred windows and the burn marks on the walls, and decided that the room probably had a colourful history. The furniture was square and basic, and it was also scarce, meaning that most of the motley collection of humans and humanoids were either lolling against the walls or squatting on the floor. He didn't need to reach far into the Force to feel the gamut of conflicting feelings they were broadcasting. They covered almost the entire emotional spectrum - from the guarded curiosity of those at the front through to the irritation and, in some cases, hostility of those who had chosen to stand against the wall at the back.

Rongo watched the two teenagers with fascination as they gazed around the group studying faces, their eyes semi-focused as if they were seeing through the person's skin into their souls. Rongo didn't adhere to any organised religious beliefs, but like a lot of his companions, he followed his own idiosyncratic code based on loyalty and honour. Friends and family, and in Rongo's case this meant the extended family of swoopers, were to be defended at all costs, and any action that furthered that end was therefore good. Written into that simple system of ethics was an unstated belief that anyone who died defending kin would rest easy, and that their future in the afterlife somehow rested on their actions in the here and now. It wasn't difficult therefore for Rongo to imagine people having souls, or for Jedi to be able to see them and judge who was honourable and who wasn't. He wondered if that made it easier or harder for them. After all, what would it be like fighting alongside someone who you were pretty sure could stab you in the back at the first opportunity. He pondered that for a moment, and decided that sometimes being limited to the relative ignorance of mere instinct might not be such a burden after all.

A voice broke in on his thoughts.

"So you got us some new initiates, Rongo?" called a lean man with a shaven tattooed head who was sitting against the wall to Anakin?s left. "Couple of hundred on the kid if you pit him against Skell here," and he dug the little biker, whom Anakin had tricked and stunned, in the ribs. Skell winced and adjusted the position of the makeshift icepack on the knee he had twisted when he fell.

"Well actually, Blue," replied Rongo evenly. "I?d put a couple of hundred on either of them to take on any of us ? just ask Muss there. And Skell, Teebone and Doc."

"Okay, okay, I get the picture." Blue held up his hands in mock defeat.

"How is Teebone by the way?" Rongo asked.

"A bit concussed," replied Blue. "But he should be back on his feet tomorrow, although he won?t be good for much."

"So what?s new?" Rongo pulled himself upright from where he?d been leaning against the pitted wood of the counter that obviously served as the gang?s bar. "However, I didn?t get us together to discuss Teebone and his health problems. I want us to talk about Bomar Tag."

He waited until the chorus of hopeful murmurs and annoyed groans died down, his dark eyes flickering from face to face. "Exactly the reaction I expected. This Tag business has been hanging over us for a while. You know where I stand, but you also know I?m not willing to divide us over it. We?ve got too good a thing going here to screw it up." He stopped, and again the hiatus was filled with conflicting sounds of assent and dissent.

"So, what have these kids got to do with Tag?" asked an attractive woman with piercing blue eyes and a geometric chin tattoo. Anakin recognised her as being a native from Miriala. "I thought they were the ones who stole Muss?s bike."

Rongo nodded. "They did. And Muss is going to explain why, aren?t you Muss." The steely edge to Rongo?s voice made it impossible for the unhappy biker to ignore the indirect command.

"They reckon they stole it so they could resc

3. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Tahi, I can see the reasoning behind your decision to post here. As for me, I prefer to keep my fanfic where it is and add on there. Less chance of posting one section in the old and another section in the new.

Now, where did you get the idea of Black Knights? Was that a spur of the moment decision, or are you hinting at what will be happening soon - the gang and the Jedi teaming up against Tag.

Still have Tahiri reacting like that? I wonder how she'd react if Anakin choose to flatter her. Though somehow I don't see Anakin as a flatter.

I think I know how Jaytee is looking at Tahiri. <wicked chuckle> Surprised you didn't have any of the other boys do the same.

Nice tie in with AOTC - the Mirialan swooper.

"Nuts"? Ooh. Delivering quite a low blow there. And in front of Tahiri? For goodness sakes she and Anakin never had a chance to... Unless you're planning to post that in a future post or make a reference to it.

Now that Anakin's identity is revealed, I get the feeling there's going to be some hero worshiping. And that the women in the group will me making advances towards him, like Alema did.

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ah good, you found this okay. Thanks, JA. The Black Knights? It took me a while to think of a name I liked for the gang. That suggested itself after writing about them for a few chapters.

Anakin and flattery? Hmm. Wait and see. ;) We are dealing with a developing relationship here, remember.

5. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I see a bit of Han in Anakin in this chapter Tahi. And that run on paragraph of Tahi yapping away--bang on. ;)

Are we heading to a grandfather reference? You don't have to answer that.

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks, Moff - I guess you'll have to wait and see what Anakin's name means to Rongo and the others.

Yep - I'm glad to see the "echoes" are still coming through.

7. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow! Long post.
    Good one, though.

"We don?t have time for this,"
    Echos of the same Anakin as in SbS. At least this time he did allow himself time for healing earlier in the story and now allows someone to look at his wound.

I liked Tahiri's fiesty reaction. ;)

Again, you highlight how the non-Jedi, non-political portion of the galaxy misunderstand what is going on around them. I don't think that the NJO books really did enough of that.

I also thought including the Mirialan woman was cool. I liked Luminara (sp?) in The Approaching Storm.

You did a great job again of capturing the inner-workings of a character's thought process. Rongo musing over his previous ideas that age = experience and wisdom. Well, Anakin and Tahiri can certainly shatter the teenager stereotype for him and the others.

Good thought, Moff. I'm so Anakin Solo oriented that I forgot that they might be thinking Anakin Skywalker. But I'm not sure how many average people in the galaxy even knew Vader had a previous name or life! ;)

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I liked that paragraph about Rongo?s beliefs. It really showed the strong bond between him and the rest of the swoops. It also gave a little insight as to just how trustworthy he might be.

"Vaping meteors, kid," said Rongo. "You in the habit of wandering round with big ventilation holes in you??

*nods head* Yep, Anakin sure is used to that. :)

"Whoa, whoa ? you?re going to fast for this stupid swooper. Explain ysalamiri to me," said Blue. :D

Rongo was the first to find his voice. "Did you say Anakin?"

Oooo, this keeps getting better and better. That post was awesome, Tahi. I really got a good picture of how the swoopers live. I loved the exchange between the characters. Great job as always. I can?t wait for more!

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Jade - Yep, I realise this bit is long, but it was hard to find a place in this chapter to split it. I agree that the books didn't give a clear idea of how the average citizen thought about the Vong. And yes, I really liked Luminara too. I was sorry there wasn't more of her in Ep2.

A and T certainly do shatter the teenage steretype - you're 100% right about that. :)

Lonewolf - I'm glad you're getting a good picture of Rongo's character and how the swoopers operate. I did a quick reread of Wedge's Gamble, as there's a bit about swoopers in there, although not as much as I would have liked. I chose to use the swoop gang as they're a bit like the Jedi in a strange way - ie society has ambiguous views about them and they have their own code of behaviour.

10. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Good stuff!!!!!!!!!

11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    When was this posted? Gah, I hate busy weekends! But anyway, this was a wonderful section. I liked the way you explained Rongo's beliefs and showed how he got the gang to function democratically -- doing something because most of them wanted to and because they saw some kind of advantage to it. I also liked the way that Rongo spoke up about Jonno and Pet, and gave Anakin the chance to explain why Tag is wrong about the Vong, so that the gang can see that helping these Jedi would be advantageous for them.

Good of Skell to see that Tag is also a menace to gang members like them!

And it sounds like it's not just Rongo, but the entire gang who has reacted to the name Anakin. I wonder why! Looking forward to more, as always. :)

12. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great post there, can't wait for more

13. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    More!!!! More!!! Me want more now!!!!!

BTW, good post :)

14. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    "The Rancors would have had his nuts hanging on their gate by now."

I'd never thought I'd see the word "nuts" in Star Wars! [face_laugh] I was quite shocked when I found "crotch" in Rebel Stand. 8-} I know I'm being immature, but ya just wouldn't imagine words like that in Star Wars.

"Nuts"? Ooh. Delivering quite a low blow there. And in front of Tahiri? For goodness sakes she and Anakin never had a chance to... Unless you're planning to post that in a future post or make a reference to it.

She already did, although in a different story. Check for a link to it in her bio. It's certaintly interesting. [face_mischief]

*a shadowy figure sneaks up behind Whitey and hands him a note*
    "I know how to get Anakin back. I also know how to make Tahi's stories canon. Meet me at the Lounge."
    "Okay, but who are you?"
    "I'll be forced to kill you."

[face_shocked] [face_devil]

15. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    back to old tricks, eh forceaddict? 8-}

I know I'm being immature
    [face_shocked] NO! You, Whitey? Never! 8-}

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    LOL - you guys crack me up. I'll post more complete answers to your comments later on tonight - having one of those hectic days!!

I don't get on-line as often as I'd like - just recently added another member to the family, so going through some readjustments to the old routine. :) However - the story will continue, and I really really appreciate all the feedback. So thanks again. :)

17. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    If you mean you have a new bundle of joy, congratulations. And you also have my pity over the next few months of sleepless nights.

18. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    IIR, I don't think it was quite a bundle of joy, but I suppose she'll share if she wants to. ;)

Anyhoo, I suppose we can wait Tahi. Hell, been waitin' 2 months or so for Twilight to update her fics...she keeps promising. :p

19. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Business has spread throughout the galaxy. Everywhere.

Great job, Tahi!

20. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Sorry it took me a bit to get here, but better late than never. :D

I'm curious to find out what the name Anakin means to Rongo. :)

21. Leia Walker

Leia Walker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2000
    Above I meant like busy- and then ness. Looked like business... which is busy-ness but not.

Reading Whitey's post above again... and what just happened? 8-}

Edit
    Forgot to change user. Sorry. Satine will be back later [face_blush]

22. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    Congrats on the baby! :D (If that's what you mean.)

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hooded One - Thanks :)

Jane - Thanks. The gang members are growing on me. It's funny how some characters seem to develop by temselves. I'm trying to show how the gang is made up of a number of different types of people, but Rongo has melded them into quite a good group.

force - merci beaucoup

Jek - :D

Whitey - Oh, nuts! Well we are dealing with a gang here. And of course Jaytee was showing off for Tahiri.
    You know how to get Anakin back? Yeeha!

Jade - :)

JA - it's a big bundle. But no sleepless nights as yet - whew! ;) I chose the easy way this time - taking on a foster child. We're busy reorganising the other kids to make room.

Moff - I must up Twilight's fic - thanks for reminding me. Don't worry - I am still writing. It's just a bit slower.

Satine/Leia - Thanks ;)

Bria - Good to see you. And glad you find this. When I first moved to this board I thought I'd lost everyone.

24. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Tahi I've been a loyal reader for some time now but finally got off my duff and registered today. I just wanted to say your A/T stories are as always perfect! After checking your bio I also learned that another of my favorite A/T tales "Missing SBS ch 14.1" is yours to!! Anyhow enough rambling can't wait to see what the name Anakin means to the "Black knights." Ok last time, keep up the great work Tahi!!!

25. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    You know how to get Anakin back? Yeeha!

No. That person was just that jerk Not_Pinocchio playing a joke on me. :mad:

Hey, we can always convince George Lucas to declare it AU because we'll convince Del Ray to kill Luke and George will be pissed. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.