main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marathoning the films in the future

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Nov 17, 2015.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh that's what it's called? I had heard the term before but was too lazy to look up what it actually was

2. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    In order to maintain the true Fibonacci sequence: (0,1,1,2,3,5,8,...)

0. Until a pre-TPM anthology film comes out, a playthrough of KotOR will suffice.
    1. The Phantom Menace
    1. The Phantom Menace AGAIN (take that, machete order!)
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    8. Episode VIII
    So on and so forth...

ObidioJuan and darskpine10 like this.
  3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

HAHA, I love it. That's funny!

For me, it makes no sense not to watch the movies in chronological order of events. I totally understand if someone wants to make an argument for showing the movies to a new fan and saying, "Well, if I don't show them 4-6 first, they won't understand the big reveal with Vader!" But... also... I mean, it's 2015. Are there really people who don't know Darth Vader is Luke's father? I'm not sure I get the point of that, either.

I would watch them in the future like 1-3, then Rogue One, then 4-7, or 4-8, etc.

What's kind of fun to think about is that Rogue One is a DIRECT prequel to ANH. In other words, it could literally take place a few days / a few weeks before ANH, since Vader comes aboard the Tantive IV aware they are harboring the stolen plans. What a great idea for the first Star Wars Anthology film. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity if they don't at least show Vader for 5 minutes, though. They need that for marketing, not to be cynical, but I also want to see Vader again with James Earl Jones's voice, so it would really tie it in for the non-Star Wars fans to cut a trailer to that affect. Show Vader, angry the plans have been stolen, or whatever, at the end of a trailer focused on a band of rebels hatching an unlikely plan to steal the plans to the Death Star. I feel like that's an iconic enough idea that everyone will "get it."

4. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I do prefer production order, simply because I think the 1977 film BY FAR does the best job of introducing a newbie to the STAR WARS universe. All the other films just sorta take it for granted that you know the basics, whereas the original film was specifically designed to introduce people to this place. Besides, things like Obi-Wan Kenobi sitting down for 5 minutes explaining what a lightsaber is, who the Jedi were, who Luke’s father was, what the Force is, etc. would just really feel awkward if you’ve already seen the prequels. It’d be like if in THE LORD OF THE RINGS, they waited until THE RETURN OF THE KING tgo give us all the exposition regarding the nature of the Ring, who Sauron is, how it found its way into Frodo’s hands, how they must take it to Mount Doom to be destroyed, etc.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Okay, I just marathon-ed 1-6 in one sitting. It was great. And a blur. I'm so tired.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It'll be even worse the next time, with an additional movie ;)

7. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Of course one could say that the vision from the creator was to watch them in this order:

TPM
    TPM (again)
    ROTS
    Episode VIII

Or 1-1-3-8

Hmmmmm

8. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If I am marathoning I always watch them in chronological order, and will in the future also.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Will you include the Anthology films then?

Not exactly on topic, but close enough. I'm starting my marathon tonight. I'll be seeing TPM, AOTC and ROTS. Tomorrow I'll watch ANH, TESB and ROTJ. The day after tomorrow... I'm watching TFA! :eek:

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013

Why wouldn't I?

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, that's the question of the thread [face_peace]

Had the first part of my pre-TFA marathon now. Introduced my younger sister (she's 22) to Star Wars with the prequels. She loved them - especially TPM and ROTS! She knew of Darth Vader of course (born in the 90's, so of course she knows who Vader is, even though she's never seen SW), but she had no idea Anakin would become him. It was awesome to see her reaction when she realized it. Works just as well as the TESB reveal, apparently! That's a nice argument for chronological order I'd say :) Will be interesting to see what she thinks of the OT tomorrow.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The best way to introduce a n00b to the saga is

IV, V, I, II, TCW (season 1 & 2), III, VI, and now VII

My wife, son, and I initiated a years-long conspiracy when my daughter was born. As much as we all loved the movies, we would not watch or discuss them in her presence. She became familiar with TCW, because we couldn't totally forgo Star Wars :-B:p So she was familiar with the characters from their TCW iterations. Someon completely unfamiliar with the stories gets a pretty good primer in IV.

Finally, when she turned 8, we did a series of viewings. In IV, we were like "Hey, Anakin had a son. His name is Luke" and "Hey, there's Obi-Wan as an old man" and "Oh no! Darth Vader just killed Obi-Wan!"

When we came around to The Big Reveal in ESB, she actually cried a little. By the time we got to RotJ, Darth Sidious and all he could do was fresh in her mind. And she thought it was great to see Anakin save his son, and become a Force ghost.

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    What about the clone wars cartoons?

Star Wars: Clone Wars (season 1, 2)
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars (seasons 1 through 7)

14. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    When I do my yearly marathon (as I am just doing in anticipation of you know what) I watch Episodes I through VI, in that order. Therefore, in future, I shall almost certainly watch Episodes I through VII, VIII, and IX, in that order. Of course, that is an entirely different issue than the issue of what someone watching SW for the first time should do. Such persons should undoubtedly watch the OT first. As for in what order new fans should watch the PT and the ST, I am not sure. I would be inclined to say PT, then ST, but I would have to watch the ST before I could be sure.

As for TCW (2008 film and series) and Rebels, yes, in a better world I would watch them, but I simply do not have the time. Alas, there is too much Star Wars and not enough time.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean it'll get to a point where they're releasing a new film every year, so rewatching the saga each year might be a bit much for me. :p But for myself I do prefer chronological order, and I'd include the anthology films wherever they belong as well.