main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Marijuana laws

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If it's as safe as alcohol, then it ought to be legal like alcohol, shouldn't it? That's really the only criteria, right?

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    :p

[face_laugh]

[face_rofl]

Pot smoking has been allowed in the Netherlands for forty years. The Netherlands rank second in productivity potential in the world.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What has productivity to do with stoned idiots in their cars that crash others on german streets. Asking for a friend.

4. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    because non-stoned idiots in their cars never crash others on german streets either, right?

let's ban everything! weed, alcohol, people over 70

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Medicinal use? 100% for it.
    Recreational use? 100% against it.

I’ve seen people I know do incredibly dumb **** when doing it for fun. People I used to call friends.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alcohol has a pretty terrible list of negative externalities in terms of public health and safety. It's a horrendously low bar we've set.

But it is what it is. People have decided in both cases that they would rather enjoy these vices for whatever they use them for than avoid the social consequences of that availability. I don't see a clear reason why those who prefer alcohol should be privileged over those that prefer marijuana.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I mean, literally every negative side effect that you mention can be applied to tobacco and alcohol. One of the reasons for legalisation would be to sell milder strains of cannabis than the ones sold on the black market. Strains that provide a high, with minimal risk of causing paranoia.

Should we ban alcohol on account of people who get ****faced every Friday night? Drunks aren't just annoying, they can be dangerous. Do you know how much police time and effort is wasted on drink related incidents?

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Read my post again. I never said I was against legalization; I said I was neither for nor against it. It's simply not an issue I have a stake in as I'm not interested in touching it. I pointed out that there are negatives, which is often overlooked by people in favor of legalization, that is all.
    I specifically mentioned that I didn't mean everyone who smokes, but the kind of people who make it into a lifestyle, and then claim it's some sort of miracle drug and never shuts the hell up about their experiences while high. And as indicated by the ":p", I wasn't entirely serious about that.
    So don't strawman me please.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    https://etsc.eu/wp-content/uploads/Vienna_Drug-Driving-in-the-Netherlands_Mutze.pdf
    Although NL has a very low accident rate about 10% of seriously injured drivers in hospital consumed drugs.
    Better 10% less I'd say. It could be your kid that is involved in that kind of accident.

In addition every one complains about nicotine addiction and smoking. Marijuana is no problem?
    I smoked 22 years about 30 cigarettes a day. Clean since 1 year - it was a difficult way and my health suffered really bad. If I could change something in my life it would be not smoking the first cigarette. I simply don't get how anyone can agree that kids are allowed to consume and have easy access to the next drug in addition to alcohol and nicotine.

Runjedirun likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Apologies, I just see a lot of people sincerely raise the points that you make as reasons to keep weed illegal. As I said before, the tabloids are going bananas at the concept of cannabis being legalised here in the UK, and I've heard similar points spill out of the mouths of people venomously against the idea, despite also having no stake in whether it becomes legal or not.

Plus, I've seen the tangible benefits of what cannabis can do for people. I grew up around one of my mum's friends, who would smoke weed. She used to have an ex-husband that followed her and would threaten her, and she started smoking the wacky-backy after she came home one day to find he had carved the words "Die b***h" into her front door with a kitchen knife. She did get the police involved, but I'm sure you can appreciate that wasn't enough to settle her anxiety. So she used weed to settle it for her, just so she could get some sleep.

That's why I might come across a little strong on this subject, I don't believe that she should be treated as a criminal for recreational use of a drug that helped settle her. Nor should she have been forced to contribute to a criminal enterprise to get that high that she needed.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    o_O[face_coffee]

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Interesting that people so much on the smoking aspect, when marijuana is available in numerous other forms. I agree I wouldn't smoke it.

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    It's probably the same in Germany, because Germans use nearly as much cannabis as the Dutch, even though it's punishable by law.
    Also, pretty sure the vast majority of those 10% are hard drug users.
    You equated soft and hard drugs, you discard the fact that a ban doesn't make a difference, to make your point. And how do you choose to make it?
    Tastelessly.
    Ah, one of those

Chewgumma and epic like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Smoking is already banned in public buildings, bars, restaurants, etc here in the UK so that law could easily be expanded to cater for pot smoking. I'd like to see it legalized for medical purposes - we've had a few stories in the press here about parents caught by Customs while trying to bring cannabis into the UK from the Netherlands because it eases seizures in their epileptic kids. I'd be in favor of recreational legalization for adults but I wouldn't necessarily partake. As someone said earlier, tax the heck out of it and use it for the NHS and other social services.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Same. I have asthma. If I were to use it, it would be in food.

17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't know what the local laws are but where I live there is a clear differentiation between the different type of drugs and the quantity that is possessed and the penalty. Anyway that's not the topic. The topic is that it should not be sold legally in shops to everyone especially that kids get easy access to that stuff.
    Really? Have you ever faced an accident with a kid and parents come to the accident site?
    It's not tasteless it is reality.

Yes. You know what? My neighbor is 76 and enjoys a cigarette every 2nd day without being addicted. Some people can do that and some start to literally eat the stuff they are addicted to. Hard enough to keep those people from nicotine and alcohol. I do not see the necessarity why another drug should be sold in shops commercially. How long do you think will it take till producers add stuff to the pots that speed up addiction?

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Or tinctures, or even vaping I'd be ok with as right now I vape CBD. Plus there's dry herb vaping to get the effects of smoking without the lung danger.

EDIT: @Darth Smurf you are aware that marijuana isn't physically addictive, right? Unlike alcohol and tobacco.

19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    1. That is not proven entirely
    2. see what I wrote
    3. People also get addicted playing on mobile phones

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The active ingredients in cannabis-- THC and CBD-- are not nearly as addictive as nicotine. People also don't (can't) smoke 30 joints a day. Tobacco companies make their products more addictive by increasing the nicotine content; cannabis companies can't really do the same thing.

Everything can be psychologically addictive, especially those that are actively designed that way such as social media and game apps on phones.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Correct, literally anything can be psychologically addictive. Some people are addicted to eating rocks for crying out loud.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm not here to argue or try to change anyone's mind, but it was super helpful to me yesterday when I had an MRI done.

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    What was that for harps?

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Cannabis is a strange thing. It can reduce anxiety for some people, but, for others, it can increase it. Everyone's brain/amygdala is different.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Impaired driving is bad and should be punished, harshly. But idiots crash their cars while drunk, while texting, while recieving oral sex. Should those things be illegal because some idiot might get behind the wheel?

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk