main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Marijuana laws

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Aug 7, 2019.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not where i live, as tracy pointed out, but that's also somewhat beside the point i was making. now i'm not advocating that people should drive while stoned, they absolutely should not, but it's entirely disingenuous to portray the risks of driving under the influence of marijuana as identical to driving while under the influence of alcohol. marijuana doesn't impair judgment, motor skills or reflexes in the same way that alcohol does. it does come with its own risks, as i said earlier, namely that people can lose focus or become distracted and so they shouldn't drive while under the influence of thc. there have been studies done that have illustrated this, where drivers were able to complete an obstacle course flawlessly while under the influence of marijuana, but when another element was introduced such as turning on the radio they became distracted and made mistakes.

i hesitate to make too broad a point here, because i'm unaware of exact statistics, but again i've never once heard of a stoned driving accident, while drinking and driving kills thousands every year and has had a profound effect on my life.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Hell, even most people here in the backwards-ass Deep South think marijuana should be legalized.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They need fields of cannabis to pacify those 30-50 feral hogs.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think tom is channeling Bill Hicks.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If Southerners actually voted according to their policy preferences, Bernie Sanders would be president.

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Well, yes and no. For many Southerners, "biblical values" (not true biblical values like helping the needy or speaking truth to power, just cherry-picked stuff like hating gays and keeping women in their place) is their policy preference. [face_plain]

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If someone just explained to them that hating gays and "keeping women in their place" are neither biblical values nor American values, then they wouldn't support those things. It's good enough to convince us, so it's good enough to convince them. It's only because of Fox News and Republicans spending the last 30 years demonizing and smearing these things as "the liberal agenda" that people oppose them. Like I've been saying, the Democrats' problem is not one of policy but messaging...they can't frame an issue positively if their lives depended on it. And as recent events have shown, our lives may very well literally depend on it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So as I’ve talked about in the NBFCT, I recently moved. One of my cats wasn’t having any of it and hid under my son’s dresser for a couple of days on end, so the vet suggested cat pheromes. I went to Petco to find cat pheromes and found this in the same section:

[​IMG]

Cat weed.

It has interspecies medicinal purpose.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    CBD definitely has pet uses yeah. Although obviously that's not marijuana.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There is a valid concern raised that much like “Big Tobacco,” we could see the rise of “Big Pot” using various chemical additives to make marijuana as addictive as tobacco.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd like more studies on Marijuana and it's effects on the body and mind, but short and long - term, but a lot of those studies are never going to happen as long as the US has it still listed as a Schedule II drug.

Edit: Obviously I'm talking about at the Federal Level with regard to Marijuana's status.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    On the Joe Rogan podcast Bernie said he'd use an executive order to lower marijuana's classification under the DEA's scheduling so that it's not in the same category as heroin.

solojones and Abadacus like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Such as? I'm not saying "Big Pot" won't/doesn't do shady things-- profit motive and all-- but I'm skeptical of this line of argument. Adding other, more addictive chemicals would likely fundamentally alter the effects. A stimulant such as nicotine, for example, is the exact opposite of what people want with cannabis. Plus it and other conceivable addictive chemicals would run into existing restrictions. I guess they could add more sugar?

Really, with regards to the effects of corporate control there are other things to be concerned about such as environmental impact, indiscriminate use of herbicides and pesticides, labor issues-- basically anything that can apply to Big Ag.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Abadacus likes this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The funny thing is that the legalization of weed was only held by about 20% or 40% of the college organizations at the East Side university where I attended in Fort Worth. After I left...it was held by 90% of the restaurant staff where I ate in 2012 and 2013. It goes to show how stressed those restaurants were.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The danger over here has not been additives, but making it too good:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/07/netherlands-potency-cannabis-hard-drug

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But when it's legal, things are then labeled with their potency. At dispensaries, you'll be able to see how much THC something has in it, how much CBD, etc. Especially when you're using it medically, this is super helpful vs. powerful street pot.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, it's very well regulated. You get the percentage of THC (and CBD), and lot and batch numbers. You know exactly what you're getting.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And you know you're getting the real thing - not a bagful of oregano or something like that.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol.... if you're dumb enough to mistake weed for oregano, you deserve to be ripped off. :p

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In my youth I went to a party with folks I worked with. One of the people had brought some pot. I swear the stuff smelled like pine needles.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “I got people to answer to just like you do, Kaffee. I’m going to charge him.”

“With what, possession of a condiment?”

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I know these Fox News paste eaters, at least to some extent, tailor their talking points to connect with their audience demo but who are they angling for here exactly? Senile boomers who vaguely recollect all of those black and white anti-drug reel-to-reels they watched in high school health class back in the 50's as one sprawling "Drugs are bad, m'kay" blur?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    CT-867-5309 and Darth_Duck like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    LOL. Having just shot up with marijuana. Fantastic.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Good lord that station has just the dumbest people.