main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Marijuana laws

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Aug 7, 2019.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes I'll definitely need to research some of the industries where use is absolutely prohibited.

It really sucks that we don't have the equivalent of a breathalyzer for marijuana. Something to tell if you are actually high RIGHT NOW. Because for people who use legally on their own time, that really ought not to affect their work status.

I'm lucky that our company just doesn't do drug testing at all, so when our dispensaries open I'll be able to use my medicine at home without fear of being fired.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd think any industry where someone is driving, piloting, or operating heavy machinery would be a start. Also any job that is related to the police in states where the drug has not been legalized. (After all, you can't exactly arrest the drug dealer if you're buying from him/her). This could extend to civilian staff as well as it opens them up to possible corruption charges as they would be engaging in illegal activities.
    Whatever you come up with, it should be checked with a legal professional familiar with drug laws (assuming you don't have that experience.)

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah we usually run our legal stuff by professionals.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So at work I've volunteered to write our training content for HR people on how to deal with changing marijuana laws from an HR perspective.

Anyone have articles you've read that are particularly relevant to this? I know a few states have made it so you can't even test for marijuana in drug screenings anymore, but I forget which ones.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Right now, I'm legally high in Oregon. This makes Avengers: End Game very funny. It's like Tony Stark went on a horrible vacation, was married to Nebula, and they got stuck in space. So, Thanos was mad that Tony left, so he wiped half everyone on Earth out. I keep saying, "Mmmm," at Captain Marvel. Thanos does not expect what's coming. Tony ruined his vacation and had to get divorced from Nebula. Then she married Rocket. At least I'm not constantly laughing as I was earlier.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This might be your best post on these boards to date. :p

Darth Smurf and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It was a good time. It was difficult to type. Man, I was laughing hard at Cruella de Vil back in February. I can only eat fractions of these gummies.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Had a sizeable enough portion of an edible when at Disneyland this past August, and well, riding Space Mountain, The Haunted Mansion & Pirates on that was an incredible experience.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Missouri released its list of approved dispensaries, and there are three in my town, two of which are convenient.

SateleNovelist11, Darth_Duck and Rew like this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    We were talking about you!!! We were talking about youuuu!! I'm so excited. I don't think I should eat weed gummies anymore. Eponym is out of d Texas. I am so glad yo. For realz man. Man, I'm so happy. Her dad and her sisters [BRB] and [BNB] are awesome. They helped me pay for the plane tiket. We were taljing about you! ! Her mom is evil. She hid Eponym's autism diagnosis from her sine about 1997. She is awful! Her mom and malle cousins were calling her the f word. But Eponym is strong. She beat Hooters. She got those girls to quit after Aubrey passed. Now Eponym's beating Texas! No more biphobia! We were talking about you!!! I need to take a nap. This is crazy. We were talking about this thread. She thinks it's awesome that there is a thread like this. But she is shy. She is awesome. She's so sweet. I love her guys. I love her so much. She does NOTT get cray cray like this when she smokes. She has a tolerance. We were talking about this thread! She thinks it's awesome people find this acceptable and moral in some places. It's good anxiety kill. MJ Cannabis youuu!!

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    The Eponym is awesome. She is a great Olive Garden manager. She is the queen of cannabis. She is peace yo. I love her. She will be happier in California. Sing California love and smoke some weed gummies.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So my dad asked me last night if I was gonna try medical marijuana. I was honest and told him I probably will once dispensaries open here in MO. And he didn't seem at all mad about it!

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Good, good for those for which that is the thing for them to take the edge off, etc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    KC's Mayor has teamed with 4 city council members to propose an ordinance to take marijuana possession off the books as a city violation in KCMO.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So it passed. KCMO has decriminalized marijuana... Might be one of the first cities in a red state to do so?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you think this will be chalked by a court?

anyway it’s great news. I think within 10 years it will be legal in all 50 states

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The whole gamut should be legalized, but any progress towards that is progress.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Drugs period should be legal. And we should instead go for a helping hand approach to actual dangerous drugs. Cocaine, Meth, bath salts etc. so if your caught with actual bad drugs you should be helped instead of thrown in prison.

19. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    As someone who has spent the last 18 years with literally thousands of addicts and seen it affect many close to me personally, I 100% agree.

Not because they're harmless; not because there aren't consequences to intoxication, which could cause you or others harm; and not because in some people they can promote mental ill heath, but because there is no way on Earth any drug 'war' is ever going to be won. Many people, perhaps the majority, want their highs and their lows. As a species we are astoundingly lacking in self-awareness if we do not acknowledge this.

As you say, all the mechanisms should remain in place to help addiction, and places where at least decriminalisation has taken place have seen significant drops in crime, HIV infection rates, and other harm caused by drug use. As mental health nurses, we are constantly berated for our efforts at harm-minimisation, and other help on offer for those that want it. We are not there to wag the finger at addicts because we know that no one who doesn't want to change their habits is going to do so until they themselves make that choice. We are there to offer the available choices, and an open door to anyone who wants to talk. We try and do the right thing for people, and we don't always get it right, but we are hampered by underfunding and poor attitudes amongst the general public for wanting to help addicts; but of course the addicts themselves come off worst. I have saved lives, typically against the odds, and I don't care if it annoys people that I make that claim.

Legalisation, or at least decriminalisation is an acknowledgement that other means do not work and never will. It is also an acknowledgement that we have an epidemic of co-morbid mental health issues that are not being given sufficient airing. There is a broader picture here of vast numbers of unhappy, unfulfilled, damaged people. And that raises all kinds of questions on society as a whole, because most of them are not receiving the help they need.

It does not mean that every person who partakes in drugs is an addict, nor does it mean that everyone who partakes has mental health issues, it is an explicit statement that I think we really are screwing things up in so many ways with a distorted moral agenda, and recreational users and addicts alike are screwed as a result.

Here are two articles on Portugal's experience of broad scale decriminalisation. It isn't perfect, but has certainly been very effective in many ways:

https://transformdrugs.org/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight/
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...licy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I too am for this.

CairnsTony likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Missouri just reported we had the first drop in opioid deaths year over year. It coincides perfectly with when MMJ became legal in Missouri... I doubt this is a coincidence.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hasn’t it been proven to be the opposite of a gateway drug

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah the gateway drug thing is a total myth. But yeah a lot of people like me want MMJ specifically to get them off opioids.

24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    The Eponym and I have been doing CBD in Eugene five nights a week since mid-March. We do so to avoid getting COVID-19. I hope those Canadian scientists are correct about that.

The only illegal drug I ever did was marijuana in Texas (age 27 to age 33). I can't do mushrooms or LSD due to my synesthesia, but I don't mind. Texans would put meth in their LSD due to their labs sucking, I heard. Or so my liberal friends told me. I never trusted the conservatives of that rancid area.

But someone I met in 2014 died of meth recently. Now that's a hard drug. She was actually the daughter of a successful murder attorney and a CPA. I met her through some TWU alumni in Bedford. Granted, she never did meth in front of me when she came to my place throughout 2014 or 2015. But she's the last person you'd suspect. It never affected her teeth. But I think it was her coping mechanism. She politely refused to use weed when offered. I did let her stay at my apartment for two months in 2016. I had to encourage her to call the cops on her boyfriend and this other man who kept coming over. They didn't rob me or anything. But one of them wanted to do so. I wasn't able to finish my master's degree because of that situation. I was glad I encouraged her to stand up for herself. But when I learned that she was pregnant, I had to ask her to leave. I helped her to find a friend with whom she could stay. I could not house someone who was pregnant and doing meth. I was already anxious about her smoking cigs and being pregnant. So, yeah. It's ironic that a pro-choice activist like me would be so concerned. But I figured that if she was so determined to have the child, she should not do drugs. I never called the police on her. I felt she needed counseling. I just encouraged her to give the finger to her exes.

Anyhow, she just passed away recently. I know she had many problems and she definitely should not have been doing meth while pregnant in 2016. I hope her son found a good home. Her parents were hardcore Baptists. Again, I feel that she was a victim of sexism primarily from her fundamentalist parents and I would also say biphobia. I personally have almost never met any woman since 2005 who was not a victim of both sexism and biphobia. Those are just my terms for domestic abuse. That's why we women are so strong. We produce good leaders, and that young lady needed a good leader to help her. I wished she could have found one. But, yeah. Now I bet you can see why I admire my Eponym for talking Hooters girls into resigning after we lost Ms. Madden in 2014. I don't really care if women are good, bad, or morally ambiguous. I just hate it when any of them are abused (cis or trans).

So, yeah. On that note, I think that people should not smoke weed while pregnant, either. However, I've never known any woman to do that. I'm just throwing that out there, since our website posts on Google and whatnot.

25. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I've found myself lately shifting to the idea that decriminalization rather than legalization is the ideal policy. I think the mistake that I and other youngish New Atheist types (ugh) made in our early adulthood in our attitude toward drug use generally was thinking that libertarianism was the only lens through which to view this debate. In my mind, it was nobody's business what substances one adult chooses to partake in, and disagreement on that could only be borne out of a religiously puritan sensibility. But my experience with legal marijuana has been far from unambiguously positive. With it being so widely available, I find it almost impossible to not smoke it, constantly, and I know I'm not alone. I still don't believe that it is any of the government's business what substance an adult chooses to partake in, but it absolutely is the government's business if a substantial portion of its citizens are constantly mired in drug-induced sloth. But since the latter is just the cumulative effect of the former, that's a distinction without a difference. Couple that with the long-term effects of chronic marijuana use, which are hardly catastrophic but still real, and I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with legalization anymore; it seems a de facto endorsement of marijuana use, which seems unwise to me.

Anybody else have their views shift on this topic over the years because of changing wider political views/effects of personal use?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.