main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Well then again if you are planning to do away with Jedi or more simply change what they are why spend time explaining her need to be one?

2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Because taking the good stuff from the old order and learning from their mistakes would help creating a better order. Like with Luke in the EU who formed his order from the foundation of the old one with changing Things he thought be be wrong or mistakes (like the marrige Thing).

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but what about Thing 2?

4. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

May 3, 2018
    All of which you state here can be done without such explanation. She is a Jedi in the film FWIW.

5. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Uh, excuse me?
    Luke didn’t know what a Jedi was before meeting Ben, but Ben was a Jedi so obviously he explained to him what a Jedi was. It was done off screen, but obviously he did.

As for Anakin, he was spotted by two Jedi. Everybody knew what the Jedi were and what was their role in the society. He probably had an idealistic vision of the function, as every kid would, though I don’t think that freeing the slaves was part of that (he realized that the Jedi could not do that since his mother had to remain a slave). But at least he had an idea of what a Jedi was; he even understood that he would have to leave his mother behind, but still wanted to become one. Same for Luke, he had probably more than a vague idea. Who explained to Rey what a Jedi was before she met Luke? probably no one, considering the definition of the Force that she gives to Luke. She only heard of him, a a legend whose story has probably been modified through the years.

There's a HUGE difference. Luke wanted to carry his father's legacy. He also had a personal revenge to take on the man who, he thought, killed both his biological father and his mentor, and on the Empire who murdered his father and mother figures. But mostly, his father's legacy is the one thing that differenciates him and Rey. Rey wants to carry the legacy of... who? Luke Skywalker, the grumpy Jedi who rejected her and told her that the Jedi had to disappear?

Hem... You seem to forget a very important part of the story: Anakin was supposed to be "The Chosen One", and he knew it. He wanted to become the most powerful Jedi because he thought it was his destiny. Qi-Jong convinced him that he was special, so yes because he was special Anakin thought he could do all these things, but the main reason why Anakin is the hero of PT is clear since the beginning: he's the Chosen One, he's supposed to bring balance to the Force. If it's not a clear purpose, I don't know what it is.

It was not that clear, at least not as clear as it was for Anakin. She can have been chosen by the Force, or by Anakin's spirit, or even Palpatine... we just don't know exactly how she was chosen and why.

Ok, so being compassionate and wanting to find her place in the world implies that she will risk her life for the others and the greater good, without any personal motivation,... Sure, it's very realistic. Frankly, it's cool if it's enough for you, but I personnally hope that JJ will come up with a better explanation in TROS. I'm actually bothered that the first female heroine of Star Wars becomes the the savior of the Galaxy because she's naturally designed to care for the others, including the villain who tortured her and maimed her friend the day before.

One thing I liked about Lord of the Rings, is that Frodo, despite being a male protagonist, displayed qualities that are generally called "feminine": compassion, softness, understanding, non-violence... And even in Frodo's case, he didn't become the hero of LOTR because he had all these qualities, at least not only because of that: Gandalf chose him because he was the ONLY ONE who could carry this burden: he was the only one person who was enough pure not to be corrupted by the power of the Ring. And even with all these qualities, he accepted to carry this burden for a selfish reason: he wanted to protect the persons he had grown up with, his long-time friends and his family. Unlike Rey, he didn't know these persons for only two days.

Just to stay in tune with the actual thread: I don't hope at all that we'll see Luke training Rey. I expect to learn that he has done between movies though. What I really hope is that Luke will be the one who will explain to Rey why she has to become the new Jedi, who will give her purpose. He is one with the Force now, so he probably knows why Rey was "chosen", why she's naturally strong with the Force and all that. Luke bringing up these informations could literally save Rey's character for me.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Why is a Jedi necessary to defeat Kylo? Just playing devil's advocate here. Because the FO/Resistance/Galaxy situation is very different from The Empire VS Rebels, IMO. It was clear in the OT that the Jedi were the only hope against Vader, his Emperor and the entire Imperial machine that ruled the galaxy with an iron fist.

Kylo? Eh, sure a Jedi has a good chance against him (obviously because Rey already beat him) but Snoke's guards defeated Kylo, too, and Rey had to save his life.

I get why Rey would look upon Luke's state in TLJ and think she's the only one with this Force power stuff that can match Kylo, so I guess that's the reason.

7. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I think all someone would have to do to defeat Kylo is put some Nair in his hair product...

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why does someone's motivation need to be particularly personal? People help others all the time because it's the right thing to do. This can be everyday acts or an entire life's dedication.

9. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Yes, of course, people act selflessly all the time. But most of us think of ourselves, our family and our friends first, which is perfectly normal and relatable. A perfect, born heroin protagonist who never struggles into learning anything, and decides to risk her life just "because it's the right thing to do" is not very relatable. She could have been relatable if we had seen her at least hesitating more than 2 seconds in TFA (when she claims she has to go back to Jakku), or if her attraction for the Dark Side had been really fleshed out, but no: she's just pushed by the narrative into being the new SW heroin. There's no private reflection, no moments of hesitation or doubts, and it's seriously lacking. I mean, even Luke has a short moment when he does the pros and the cons in ANH, after his uncle and aunt have been murdered, even if he has nothing to lose anymore. And afterwards, we see him struggling and almost failing to become the hero he wants to be. Rey, on the other hand, is an instant-heroin: "just add water and stir".

I could have bough the whole "she's compassionate so..." if I had the feeling that all of this was really her choice, but it just doesn't work for me. Her absence of personal motivation and introspection makes her imo a superficial character, made a hero "just because". Even her obsession for her parents turns out to be superficial: at the beginning of TFA she wants her parents back, but then she leaves for Ach-To without a second thought for them; in TLJ she's obsessed with them again, but when she learns the truth (of what she thinks is the truth), she does the "Whoo hoo hoo!" thing in the Falcon, as if it already didn't matter anymore. Luke is crushed by Vader's revelation in ESB; Rey is just... fine.

But I'll stop here because it's clearly not the subject of the thread. And I don't like being in "criticism mode" for too long anyways. I'm still hoping for TROS to fix this perfect being into a relatable human being...

10. 10e10

10e10 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

From the Vanity Fair article. I think is clear that is the same flashback from the other movies.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

11. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    This is not the same flashback, Luke is much older in this pic, same age as in TLJ.

I wonder what the location is, there's fire, trees/leafs and R2 [face_thinking]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  12. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Probably a picture made for this article, might not even be in the film.

13. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I don't think the new Vanity Cover pic of Luke is from a flashback of Kylo destroying temple. He looks older, long beard, his appearence resemble TLJ Luke. So, it's a force ghost

nightangel likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Nope he’s styled like TLJ-era Luke.

But it shows how he’ll look in RoS.

I don’t see any FG-glow.

Looks resurrected to me.

All hail Space Jesus ;)

RetropME likes this.
  16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    If we had a picture of ghost Yoda on set for the behind the scenes feature of vanity fair we wouldn't have seen him with the blue glow (even in the movie he's barely blue/transparent). And he looks like Ahch-To old Luke. So instead of wishing for the possible but less likely options we could just assume until proven wrong that it's probably Ghost Luke appearing in the movie to our hero(es) and this is the most simple explanation (= the more likely).

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It’s not BTS.

[​IMG]

It’s what he’ll look like in the movie.

18. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, yeah PiedPiper. But somehow I don't figure a ghost Luke would look like Anch-To Luke. It'd probably be something closer to the temple flashback and how he looked on Crait.

Speculation of course, no reason he couldn't look like hermit-Luke as a ghost, just sort of figure they'd pick one of the other TLJ appearances or something fresh/new entirely.

19. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

May 3, 2018
    I am interested to see his right hand covered in a glove. Good move, it will avoid much conversation that way.

Jedi Merkurian and RetropME like this.
  20. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    But he didn't take R2D2 with him to Ahch-To, and the two were not being reunited before TLJ. Yoda didn't look like a ghost neither in TLJ. As hard as i try i don't see how this could be anything else but your expected ghost Luke. Of course i might be wrong, but that sounds like the most likely possibility, 85% chances it happens that way. 15% he's actually NOT dead in TROS. I'll be very very suprised if JJ decided to resurrect him.

21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yoda indeed looked like a FG in TLJ - he had the ghost glow.

I hadn’t thought Luke would literally be resurrected, but it would fit precisely with the Space Jesus symbolism.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Force Ghost Luke would not have a mechanical hand, and that's what the weathered leather glove indicates he has in the VF portrait. Also probably R2 couldn't see him or wouldn't be standing right next to him like it's an ordinary thing.

So, Luke is either alive in the flesh in IX, or this particular image is a flashback or vision of some kind within the movie. Maybe we see some flashbacks to other things Luke was doing before arriving on Ahch-To or on the island itself?

The fire is most interesting, too.

23. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yoda didn't look like a ghost in TLJ?

Uhm. Been a while, but pretty certain he did.

RetropME likes this.
  24. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    well, he didn't look as ghostly as in the OT :D but regarding Luke yes the glove is a bit weird if he's a ghost...Didn't think about that. [face_dunno]

RetropME likes this.
  25. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Either way I think that something in this picture is not as it seems. We k ow it's not flashback Luke by his face and a ghost having the hand is unlikely... Ultimately it doesn't matter, it's just a great shot regardless of the implications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.